[NZ] Policy change?

Old Oct 13th 2002, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: [NZ] Policy change?

Originally posted by scoobytoo:
Hiya,

I finally got to NZ House in London and basically asked how I can get into NZ now (after points increase has ruled my PR out).... -
Did you see the message on this forum regarding the NZ Job Expo in London on 19th & 20th Oct? The website given is:

http://www.smallworldmedia.co.nz/

I would expect you'd get loads of information there about the job situation - and, who knows,maybe even a job worth 8 points and no more worries about working holiday visas. What type of work are you looking for, anyway?

Sympathize with you totally about the points/settlement funds problems.

luck,
TA
Old Oct 13th 2002, 11:26 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:

Depends who you were talking to, obviously - I never heard of 'the girl on the desk in London' knowing much about the inner thoughts of the movers and shakers of immigration policy. NZ has just re-elected a political party that believes in and campaigned on 48000 +/- 10% new immigrants + their families every year and that is official national policy. There are very good economic arguments that mean NZ NEEDS large numbers of new immigrants every year. 30 points passmark under current points method means NZIS would fall FAR FAR short of its targets. ERGO points passmark will not remain at 30 for long in 2003.

Unemployment rate in NZ is not bad at the moment, anyway - far from it.

Cheers - Don
I was reading the Christchurch Press on Sat and it appears they have overshot the 48000 by a fair bit. Somewhere pretty close to 70000 long term/perm migrants last year...including 15000 Ockers incidently. Oz only took 80 odd thousand so usual political suspects are complaining.

Agree about the job situation....currently plently.

John.
Old Oct 14th 2002, 7:18 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JWW:

I was reading the Christchurch Press on Sat and it appears they have overshot the 48000 by a fair bit. Somewhere pretty close to 70000 long term/perm migrants last year...including 15000 Ockers incidently. Oz only took 80 odd thousand so usual political suspects are complaining.

Agree about the job situation....currently plently.

John.
That figure might include principal applicants + their families, so the 48K target (which relates to principal applicants alone I think) might not be too much at risk of overshoot.

Here are the year-to-August figures: 'There were 95,000 PLT (permanent + long term) arrivals in the year ended August 2002, up 22,300 or 31 percent on the August 2001 year. In contrast, there were 18,300 or 24 percent fewer PLT departures (58,800) in 2002. The overall result was a net migration gain of 36,200, compared with a net outflow of 4,400 in the previous year. The main contributors to this turnaround in net migration were non-New Zealand citizen arrivals (up 18,600), and New Zealand citizen departures (down 17,800).

There were net inflows from China (14,400), India (6,300), the United Kingdom (5,700), South Africa (3,200), Japan (2,300), Fiji (up 2,200) and Korea (2,000) in the year ended August 2002. Conversely, there was a net outflow to Australia of 13,100, less than one-half the net outflow of 29,100 in the August 2001 year.' http://www.stats.govt.nz/domino/exte...a?OpenDocument