I know, that all migrants have to bring some profits and that's the most
important thing, but I still feel deceived. I have BC (Hons) in IT, my wife
MsC in biochemistry, even though our English isn't perfect (especially
written) we were able to score avarage of 7 points on IELTS. We are in
prime age (25-29). Who is then the target for NZ immigration policy? I
thought we are prospective enough.

I know on this newsgroup are many people in similiar situation - what are
you going to do about it? Take different path (work visa? something else?),
simply wait or divert your application to somewhere else (OZ? Canada?).

I'm still a bit shocked, so my post may be a little bit twisted - make
allowance for it.

best regards to all suspended in waiting.

przem

--
Serwis Usenet w portalu Gazeta.pl ->
http://www.gazeta.pl/usenet/

Old Sep 30th 2002, 3:07 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: [NZ] Policy change?

Sympathise with you, mate, but don't be too discouraged. Points pass mark will come down again soon, I reckon to 27 by early 2003 and 26 later in 2003.

Keep your pecker up but not up too many!

Don
Old Sep 30th 2002, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a lot of people are having to take the work visa option at the moment. If you've got the right skills to offer and manage to secure a job within the 6 months, then I guess those are the people they want right now.

We've just booked my partner's flight to Christchurch - leaving 18/11/02 when he will begin his search for employment. I've drawn the short straw and have to wait here for the time being whilst I sell the house. We are just about beginning to breathe a sigh of relief after all the hurdles we've had to jump through and of course the major one remains - a job!

Hope you manage to sort something out for a successful application.

Cheers, Lizzie
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 12:29 am
scoobytoo

Unhappy Re: [NZ] Policy change?

Lizzie,

When you say "work visa" do you mean the six month "you're with 5 points now get a job in 6 months" variety? or have you got a standard work visa?

Since the points have increased to 30 I cannot apply for permy residence and so my only available way into the country is through a work visa, have you got any clue if you can get a work visa (for a set time, 3 years) and then get to NZ and find a job? or do you need a job offer before you get the visa?

I'm gonna attempt to get some info from NZ House on Thur/Fri - but would like to know if i'm on the right lines (ie. getting a work visa before a job).

Cheers,

Andy

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scoobytoo:
Lizzie,

I'm gonna attempt to get some info from NZ House on Thur/Fri - but would like to know if i'm on the right lines (ie. getting a work visa before a job).

Cheers,

Andy
It's the other way round, you need a definite offer of employment before you can apply for a work permit/visa. Applying for a work permit is actually the easiest part - once you've got a job offer, you simply walk into any NZIS branch, pay your $90 (for a permit) or $240 (for a visa) and if all your paperwork is correct they'll issue it there and then. Generally they'll issue you with a permit/visa for 1 year, which you can extend upto a max of three, although if you have had a medical/X-ray & have got a police certificate they'll issue you a permit for 2 years. Although it's a bit of hassle, this is definitely worth doing as you wont have to re-apply again at the end of the year.
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 9:13 am
scoobytoo

Thanks for the info (slightly depressing though!) - Just wondering how likely NZ employers are to take you on if you cannot technically work until you get your visa.

I suppose I could contact some IT Agencies in NZ and ask them if their clients generally take people initially without the work visa.

This would have all been so much easier if i'd actually applied for my PR4 months back like I was going to do (valuable lesson learned here!).

Britboy, I presume you went from Blighty to NZ, if so how did you manage it? PR or work visa?

Many Thanks for your info.

Andy

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

This would have all been so much easier if i'd actually applied for my PR4 months back like I was going to do (valuable lesson learned here!).

Andy
I don't understand something here: how does the jump from 29 passpoints to 30 make any difference to any one of you applying for PR, if you don't already have a NZ job offer???

If you don't already have a job offer, my understanding is that you HAVE to have 25 points or more to even be considered for PR. If you have atleast 25 points, but less than the required 30 points, you are offered a temporary visa specifially to find a job within NZ. If you find a 'relevant' job (i.e. a job relevant to your qualifications), - which prsumably most of you are expecting to do, since a non-relevant job offers only 2 points - you are automatically awarded another 8 points. So even with the required minimum 'starting point' of 25 points, you would then have 33 points - way more than the 30 points required. The jump to 30 pts from 29 pts can't possibly affect anyone who could count 25 points without including job points.... Do you get me??

Is there something I've missed here??? Perhaps you all should give a breakdown of the points you think you have now, it would be easier for others to figure out what your problem is and what options you might have...

Meanwhile, as far as I can figure it, it's only when the passmark gets to 32 or 33 that it starts making a difference, mainly to people who have counted in settlement funds to get the points they need, but who are hoping not to HAVE to transfer them to NZ...
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, NZ (was Broadstairs, Kent, UK)
Pippa is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear The American

Im afraid you have the wrong end of the stick there.

If you are within 5 points of the passmark ie at present pass of 30 youd have to have a minimum of 25 points then a relevant job offer is worth 5 points.

Its only when your basic points are higher than 26 that your points for a relevant job offer go up. So the current increases ARE hitting people hard, just like me. We now dont have enough to get PR ie we are more than 5 points below the current pass rate and will need to wait until it drops again to 28 before we can apply. Its very annoying as we really want to go buthave now got to wait, which we will.

NZIS are locking the very people out that they want ie late 20s or early thirties with good and needed skills but I guess they will start struggling to get the numbers of applicants by next year. The sooner the better for me.

Pippa xx
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 6:32 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Pippa:
Dear The American

Im afraid you have the wrong end of the stick there.

If you are within 5 points of the passmark ie at present pass of 30 youd have to have a minimum of 25 points then a relevant job offer is worth 5 points.

Its only when your basic points are higher than 26 that your points for a relevant job offer go up. So the current increases ARE hitting people hard, just like me. We now dont have enough to get PR ie we are more than 5 points below the current pass rate and will need to wait until it drops again to 28 before we can apply. Its very annoying as we really want to go buthave now got to wait, which we will.

NZIS are locking the very people out that they want ie late 20s or early thirties with good and needed skills but I guess they will start struggling to get the numbers of applicants by next year. The sooner the better for me.

Pippa xx
Well hit me with a stick but I think you're both a bit right and both a bit wrong. Relevant job offer is worth 8 points right now (not 5, Pippa). American is right in that when you get the 8 points for a relevant job offer it often means you will exceed points passmark by a point or two. Pippa is right that it just got harder to get within 5 points of the points passmark to qualify for a 'job seek' 6 month work visa.

Don't forget that if you get excess points with the relevant job offer points, you won't need to move the settlement funds points to a NZ bank (as the point(s) is/are no longer needed- a big plus for many.

Cheers - Don
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:

Pippa is right that it just got harder to get within 5 points of the points passmark to qualify for a 'job seek' 6 month work visa.

Thanks Don, I'm getting closer to understanding why the jump in passmarks might be affecting some applicants, but I'm still not there yet.

So, what exactly is this 'job-seek 6-month work visa' you mentioned? I assume 'passmarks' (which is the main topic of this thread) are only relevant to permanent residency, and the only job-seek visa I know about is only offered after you've applied for PR, which itself you can only apply for with the REQUIRED 25 points minimum.

If the job-search visa you're speaking of is something different, I'd love to know about it.

Thx,
TA

(P.S. Don: encephalitis????)
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 8:50 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
Just to confuse even further, my understanding was that:
A job offer before residence visa application is worth 8 points.
A relevant job offer after application and on 6 month job seek policy was worth 5 points.
A non relevant job offer was worth 2 points.

I think the increase from 5-8 happened when the passmark went from 25-28.

Have you looked at the Work to Residence visas? These are work visas that automatically turn into residence visas after 2 years providing certain job related criteria are met. There aer several ways to qualify through an accredited employers scheme or priority occupations list. Its all on NZIS site.

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 4:43 am
Don
Banned

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migration/general.html

'If your points score is within 5 points of the passmark at the time your application is made, you may apply for a work visa/permit to enable you to seek employment in New Zealand if you have:

not already claimed points for an offer of employment; and
met the health, character, and English language requirements

...Effective from 1 July 2002, points are scored as follows:
Offer of Employment
General Skills Category Passmark Points
25 or under 5
26 6
27 7
28 or above 8'

So it's currently 8 points for a relevant job offer (2 points if not relevant).

This post also explains why the 1 point hike in the passmark to 30 meant it's that much harder to get within 5 points of the passmark in order to apply for the 6 month 'job seek' work visa/permit. 25 points without a job offer is tough!

Cheers - Don
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 10:55 am
Jaj

Just to clarify here ...

You get 8 points for a relevant job offer
But you need to be within 5 points of the pass mark to get the 6 month
work visa. As The American, points out, someone would need 25 to get
the work visa, and then would end up with 25 + 8 = 33 points.

However, not everyone with a relevant job offer gets it through the 6
month work visa route. Some people do get offered a job directly from
overseas, and others might already be on work permits or some other
temporary status in NZ and get a job offer this way. These people can
get through with 22 + 8 points = 30.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 16:48:18 +0000, The American wrote:
    >Originally posted by scoobytoo:
    >> This would have all been so much easier if i'd actually applied
    >> for my PR4 months back like I was going to do (valuable lesson
    >> learned here!).
    >> Andy
    >I don't understand something here: how does the jump from 29 passpoints
    >to 30 make any difference to any one of you applying for PR, if you
    >don't already have a NZ job offer???
    >If you don't already have a job offer, my understanding is that you HAVE
    >to have 25 points or more to even be considered for PR. If you have
    >atleast 25 points, but less than the required 30 points, you are offered
    >a temporary visa specifially to find a job within NZ. If you find a
    >'relevant' job (i.e. a job relevant to your qualifications), - which
    >prsumably most of you are expecting to do, since a non-relevant job
    >offers only 2 points - you are automatically awarded another 8 points.
    >So even with the required minimum 'starting point' of 25 points, you
    >would then have 33 points - way more than the 30 points required. The
    >jump to 30 pts from 29 pts can't possibly affect anyone who could count
    >25 points without including job points.... Do you get me??
    >Is there something I've missed here??? Perhaps you all should give a
    >breakdown of the points you think you have now, it would be easier
    >for others to figure out what your problem is and what options you
    >might have...
    >Meanwhile, as far as I can figure it, it's only when the passmark gets
    >to 32 or 33 that it starts making a difference, mainly to people who
    >have counted in settlement funds to get the points they need, but who
    >are hoping not to HAVE to transfer them to NZ...
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 13th 2002, 7:34 pm
scoobytoo

Hiya,

I finally got to NZ House in London and basically asked how I can get into NZ now (after points increase has ruled my PR out) - basically the only way now is to either get an NZ job while in the UK (you get 8 points for that now), OR get a one year working holiday visa (you can still apply if you are 30 or under), you then have to get to NZ and show that you have 4300NZdollars available to you - then get a job and apply for PR while in NZ. I asked if they thought that the points will go down in the new year, the reply, basically they reckon that the points will go UP again as the job state in NZ is very bad at the moment.

What I now need to know is if employers in NZ take a one year holiday working visa seriously - i'm gonna contact a few agencies in NZ and find out the score.

I worked out that if you are degree educated and have worked since graduating you still couldn't get within 5 points of the PR target - well unless you know somebody who wants to give you 200NZdollars and hence bump up the points total by another 2 points....if anybody wants to lend me the cash then i'm all ears *grin*

Old Oct 13th 2002, 8:52 pm
Don
Banned

I asked if they thought that the points will go down in the new year, the reply, basically they reckon that the points will go UP again as the job state in NZ is very bad at the moment.
Depends who you were talking to, obviously - I never heard of 'the girl on the desk in London' knowing much about the inner thoughts of the movers and shakers of immigration policy. NZ has just re-elected a political party that believes in and campaigned on 48000 +/- 10% new immigrants + their families every year and that is official national policy. There are very good economic arguments that mean NZ NEEDS large numbers of new immigrants every year. 30 points passmark under current points method means NZIS would fall FAR FAR short of its targets. ERGO points passmark will not remain at 30 for long in 2003.

Unemployment rate in NZ is not bad at the moment, anyway - far from it.

Cheers - Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.