** Spouse Visa **

Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

georginabutcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ** Spouse Visa **

Maybe they were just making us wait because we had been granted a spouse visa before and returned after only 9months,and they thought we didn't deserve another one
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by georginabutcher
Maybe they were just making us wait because we had been granted a spouse visa before and returned after only 9months,and they thought we didn't deserve another one
Was the previous spouse visa a permanent visa? If so, is there a reason why you didn't apply for a Resident Return Visa?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

No it was a temp visa, we were in the proscess of getting married when we applied the first time.That was 9 years ago so we couldn't get a resident return this time because to much time had passed.So we had to start again,but OH got a perm res visa this time because we have been married for soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No it was a temp visa, we were in the proscess of getting married when we applied the first time.That was 9 years ago so we couldn't get a resident return this time because to much time had passed.So we had to start again,but OH got a perm res visa this time because we have been married for soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.
When you got a temporary visa, what happened to the permanent visa at the time? Did you not pursue it and hence was it refused?

Obtaining a resident return visa is often quite feasible for spouses of Australian citizens.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

We never thought we would go back again,without giving you my life story we didn't have a good experience in OZ the first time.Nothing to do with the place or people.It's our own fault about the visa, I suppose the old saying "never say never" applies to us.OH never received PR visa because we didn't ask for it and too much time had lapsed when we decided to return.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

We never thought we would go back again,without giving you my life story we didn't have a good experience in OZ the first time.Nothing to do with the place or people.It's our own fault about the visa, I suppose the old saying "never say never" applies to us.OH never received PR visa because we didn't ask for it and too much time had lapsed when we decided to return.
It's all moot now, but when you applied for the temporary visa you did also (at the same time) apply for the permanent visa.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's all moot now, but when you applied for the temporary visa you did also (at the same time) apply for the permanent visa.
The conditions of the original visa (issued 2000) were OH could have PR visa 2years after arriving in Aus,but I was told by Aus House that we didn't qualify for a resident return this time round, as more than 5 years had passed since we had been in Australia.However the visa he has just been granted this time (2008) is a permenant resident visa,that we had to apply for from scratch and paying full fee.They told me that he quaulifies for PR visa straight away because of the length of our relationship.

Hope that makes sense,if you think they were wrong let me know maybe we could get our money back (not!) could do with it right now.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:14 am
Just Joined

brookie83 will become famous soon enough

Hi guys,

im am australian and my bf is english.we met here in perth almost 2 years ago and have lived here and also in london together for 18 months.hes over on a working holiday visa and is very keen to stay here with me.he approached work about sponsorship and they arent too keen,they seem too think its too much work?

ive tried to read all the info on spouse visas but everything is so confusing! would that be the best way for us to go or should he try and get it through work?? any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much guys

Brooke
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

heg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brookie83
Hi guys,

im am australian and my bf is english.we met here in perth almost 2 years ago and have lived here and also in london together for 18 months.hes over on a working holiday visa and is very keen to stay here with me.he approached work about sponsorship and they arent too keen,they seem too think its too much work?

ive tried to read all the info on spouse visas but everything is so confusing! would that be the best way for us to go or should he try and get it through work?? any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much guys

Brooke
If you both see a future in your relationship and can prove you have been defacto for 12 months then the spouse visa should be the one. Both the spouse visa and the work visas involve commitments.
But start from the DIAC website and use the search funtion on this forum. Good luck with it..
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:36 am
JAJ
Retired

The conditions of the original visa (issued 2000) were OH could have PR visa 2years after arriving in Aus,but I was told by Aus House that we didn't qualify for a resident return this time round, as more than 5 years had passed since we had been in Australia.
It's PR 2 years after applying for the temporary visa and residence in Australia is not mandatory.

A spouse of an Australian citizen can get a resident return visa fairly easily on "substantial ties" grounds. However, it does get harder if you let more than 5 years go between visits.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

Do you know what happened to his permanent visa application first time? Was it formally refused at any point?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's PR 2 years after applying for the temporary visa and residence in Australia is not mandatory.

A spouse of an Australian citizen can get a resident return visa fairly easily on "substantial ties" grounds. However, it does get harder if you let more than 5 years go between visits.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

Do you know what happened to his permanent visa application first time? Was it formally refused at any point?
No idea,when I questioned them about it they said that they wouldn't have had an address for us as we didn't notify them we had left Aus.But now that I think about it our original contact address in Aus (which "they" would have had) was my parents address and they haven't moved.My parents forward mail to us still and we haven't had any letters about OH PR visa.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Bec_cook is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WorldStomper
maybe a problem? we have limited evidence of financial commitment. I pay for most of the bills. Rent is paid out of my account but my girlfriend contributes by depositing half the amount into my account by cash. We have some bills with both our names on; council tax ( actually thats the only one) and the only other thing with both our names on is the tenancy agreement.

I imagine these two documents are no where near enough! does any one have any suggestions on what we could do.

thanks everyone
Andy
Sounds like enough proof of living together provided it covers the full 12 months. Council tax and tennency agreements are the gold evidence pieces!

As for bills and household exps i would put copies of yours and her bank accounts showing that she deposits money to your account - that is what we did.
Also any personal letters you each have addressed at the same address are great, Invitations, cards you have sent each other, and emails you have sent to each other, or that people have sent to you both, Mobile phone records too. Suer you'll have enough when you get it all together.

I would also ' front load' so get all your police checks and medicals done before you apply and then should only take a few weeks - takes a lot longer if you wait for them to ask you for the stuff. Just make sure you get as much evidenec that covers 12 months of your relationship and shows that you have been living together as a couple for all this time.
Good Luck