Wikiposts

The "pool"

Old May 15th 2002, 5:20 am
Costabeera

Default The "pool"

Greetings.

If one fails the points test, one can submit an application to the "pool". My
question is, what happens then? Do you float to the top in your turn, can employers
dip into this pool and pluck someone from the depths therein as and when they choose,
or is it simply a repository of unlucky people hoping that the passmark falls again?
As I understand the situation, the usual fees still apply to "pool " applicants, but
an application only remains in the pool for two years before being time expired. Do
"pool" applicants stand a realistic chance of being granted a visa, or is this a
money making scheme by the Aus government?

How many times has the passmark been lowered in previous changes, thereby allowing
pool applicants in? How does the pool work in reality?

Kind regards to all.

Old May 15th 2002, 7:20 am
Rem Yavor Ove

Default Re: The "pool"

> If one fails the points test, one can submit an application to the "pool". My
    > question is, what happens then? Do you float to the top in your turn, can

I think if passmark is lowered applications from the pool that became eligible as a
result of this are considered in chronological order. Another option is they are
considered in descending order of the number of points awarded, and then in
chronological order.

> employers dip into this pool and pluck someone from the depths therein
as

No employers cannot do that, since it is a different class of application. However,
skill-matching applications (most indep-skilled are also skill matching if you have
completed the relevant part of the 47sk form) qualify for lower passmark, therefore
some of them may be taken off the pool.

> and when they choose, or is it simply a repository of unlucky people hoping that
    > the passmark falls again? As I understand the situation, the usual fees still apply
    > to "pool " applicants, but an application only remains in the pool for two years
    > before being time expired. Do "pool" applicants stand a realistic chance of being
    > granted a visa, or is this a money making scheme by the Aus government?

Chance depends on the probablity of the passmark going down plus the probability a
skill-matched application is nominated.

>
    > How many times has the passmark been lowered in previous changes, thereby allowing
    > pool applicants in?

1 or 2 in the last 4 years.

> How does the pool work in reality?
    >
    >

In effect, it is a safety net for applicants agains temporary changes (downward) of
the passmark.

Old May 15th 2002, 10:20 am
Jaj

Default Re: The "pool"

>On Wed, 15 May 2002 13:20:57 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> employers dip into this pool and pluck someone from the depths therein
    >as
    >
    >No employers cannot do that, since it is a different class of application.

Yes, regional employers can do this. The applicant gets deemed to have applied for an
RSMS visa if an employer nomination is made.

I don't think the numbers are very high, however.

>However, skill-matching applications (most indep-skilled are also skill matching if
    >you have completed the relevant part of the 47sk form) qualify for lower passmark,
    >therefore some of them may be taken off the pool.

I've no idea what you are saying here. A skilled independent applicant who fills out
the skill matching section needs only to reach the pool mark to be eligible for a
nomination. A Skill Matching visa applicant needs only the basic requirements.

>
    >> and when they choose, or is it simply a repository of unlucky people hoping that
    >> the passmark falls again? As I understand the situation, the usual fees still
    >> apply to "pool " applicants, but an application only remains in the pool for two
    >> years before being time expired. Do "pool" applicants stand a realistic chance of
    >> being granted a visa, or is this a money making scheme by the Aus government?

If you want to try out the regional schemes for a lower initial cost you can put in a
Skill Matching application for A$150 (you will also need to pay for a skill
assessment). The balance only becomes payable if you get a nomination. You don't get
access to the pool this way, but you are eligible for the regional schemes.

>
    >Chance depends on the probablity of the passmark going down plus the probability a
    >skill-matched application is nominated.
    >
    >>
    >> How many times has the passmark been lowered in previous changes, thereby allowing
    >> pool applicants in?
    >
    >1 or 2 in the last 4 years.

Realistically, there is at best an outside chance that the pass mark will drop
back to 110 in the next 2 years. It depends on how many people decide to apply in
that time!

I wouldn't bother applying for anything other than skill matching if you have 105 or
less, with 110 you have got to take the view do you want to have an outside chance of
benefiting from a pass mark drop set against the question of can you afford to lose
the application fee (which rises to A$1670 on 1 July).

>
    >> How does the pool work in reality?
    >>
    >>
    >
    >In effect, it is a safety net for applicants agains temporary changes (downward) of
    >the passmark.
    >

Especially when changes to the pass mark upwards affected applications already in the
system, which did not happen in May.

Jeremy