Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

"Consent to Obtain Personal Information Form" (Australian Police Check)

"Consent to Obtain Personal Information Form" (Australian Police Check)

Old Mar 16th 2001, 8:38 pm
Martina Linnemann

Hi there,

My partner and I just got his ACS Skills Assessment through and are currently trying
to get everything together for the "real" PR application One form puzzles me a bit -
it's part of the new London pack (and it's the first time I see it or read about it)
and it's the Police Records Check / Consent to Obtain Personal Information form, to
be sent off to the Criminal History Branch of the Australian Federal Police.

Question is: Does this need to be send in prior to application? And will they return
a certificate / statement to you that needs to be included in the application?

It's the only bit missing at the moment....

If anybody knows what it's about - I'd be grateful if you could let me know!

Thanks a lot for your help,

Martina

Old Mar 17th 2001, 3:00 am
Bob McCulloch

Hello Martina,' It is my understanding that they need your consent before they allow
the Australian Federal Police do a check on an applicant for DIMA and at DIMA's
request. And by giving this form to DIMA with your application they are then allowed
to get AFP do a check if they want this. This form I thought, having read it, means
you really give DIMA your authority to do any checks, anywhere, by anyone. Such a
check is mandatory for the DIMA Embassy Staff in Moscow for all citizens of the
Russian Federation. But not for the other citizens in their 'territory' - for
instance Ukranians, Belorussians. Maybe they have broadened the scope of countries
for who they now check?? Although I had thought that it was of the nature of a
Ministerial Directive - rather than an Immigration Law or regulation. But I am
suprised that it would be done for UK citizens.

In our experience the form is given to DIMA - probably best with your application -
then they arrange for AFP to do the check and respond to DIMA staff who requested it.
That the Australian Federal Police would keep Criminal Histories of Foreign Nationals
not resident in Australia - an interesting thought. Maybe AFP scource their
information elsewhere !!! It would be very very suprising if you ever knew of the
existance of such an AFP check I would have thought! And to see the report - well
........... The moral sensitivity of such a request should make Civil Libertarians
squirm - particularly after you will have already supplied an unimpeachable Police
Check for every Country you have lived in for many prior years. BoB

Martina Linnemann wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >