British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Your thoughts NZIS buffs please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/your-thoughts-nzis-buffs-please-787738/)

BEVS Feb 18th 2013 12:58 am

Your thoughts NZIS buffs please

I'd be interested to hear some of your thoughts on this one.

A young 22yr lass comes to NZ on a holiday with her friend. Likes what she sees but also meets a 24 yr old lad.

She returns to the UK but then applies for a WHV as she wishes to return to NZ and is also urged to do so, a.s.a.p. by the lad & his parents.

She has no qualifications and isn't in a skilled job. She did do 18 months of nurse training once but gave that up.

So. With the WHV ( 1 or 2 yr) she could be on her way back.

My question to you guys is how do we think she will be able to remain after the WHV if she wishes to ?

It was suggested to her by the lad's father that he would 'sponsor' her. :unsure:

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Tomsk Feb 18th 2013 4:37 am

Re: Your thoughts NZIS buffs please

I'm no expert here, but I'd suggest that the relationship is the main reason for her to return & that may need to be the basis of any visa application after 2 years, assuming, of course, that the relationship lasts the course. The lad's father may end up supporting her in the second year though, when she's not able to work.
It may possibly be that she needs to drag him back to the UK after the WHV expires, for an extended holiday, & at that time submit an application for a visa under the partnership category. A 2 year relationship is showing some committment, assuming that they will live together, & start to gather all the evidence required to support that application, & if they clock up some more time together in the UK it all goes to demonstrate the strength of the relationship.
Of course it all becomes harder if the relationship founders and she still wants to stay.
But they're young, it's a great experience, she may hate NZ once she's got used to daily life here, she may not want to stay with him, who knows what will happen? Gotta be worth giving it a go & I hope it works out for them both.

Persephone Feb 19th 2013 3:30 pm

All I can come up with is that she goes for the 2yr WHV, lives with him for at least a year and then applies for residency based on that. They would need to buckle down and start living together immediately though and start gaining evidence of their relationship right from the start. I can't think of another way unless they reverse the situation and he looks at whether he can move to the UK, live with her for 12months and then they apply. Same process just living together in different countries.

Otherwise it's the long game, she trains in a job on the LTSSL, qualifies and finds a job and gets a work visa etc. That's probably much longer than they'd like;)

That's where I was lucky, a similar situation, holiday romance and all that; but at least I was able to apply as a skilled migrant, LTSSL etc

BEVS Feb 19th 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks you two.

I couldn't see any other ways either.

My concern for her & hence my checking in here, is what is being peddled to her by his parents. That they will 'sponsor' her . He still lives at home. They've indicated that she simply moves in with them & then they tell NZ immigration they will support her.

I also hope this works out for this young couple. They are both lovely people.

Thing is , they do need to realise that his parents can't just make it happen for them.

I'm with you both. If it turns out to be serious, then setting up home together & start gathering proof is a way to go. She could then go on to gain a one year work permit ( partnership) following the expiry of the WHV I think.

Other than that, he shows his merit & goes back with her to the UK and she finishes her nurse training. They save money and then return

:fingerscrossed: for them both

Catchafire Feb 19th 2013 9:04 pm

The wine industry is good "zero to hero" option.

The current requirement is 12 months experience as a cellar hand to at least score a work permit.

Met quite a few WHV holders here who have settled using this route. If she is smart she could sneak some experience in from Europe before heading back.

Also an Australian WHV would be a good route to gain some "relationship milage" under their belt, if he was prepared to cross the Tasman for a while (or longer).

Wiz'n'Ton Feb 19th 2013 9:56 pm

Bevs - if the guy is a Kiwi, then they just need to cohabit together and prove that they are in a defacto relationship for the period of the WHV. I think 6 months is the minimum, then surely she can apply for a partnership visa. The key thing is that they have to show that the partnership is stable and 'real'. Before the WHV expitres she can apply for a Work Visa Under Partnership. They can then apply for residency after a period of time. Simples!

If he is not a Kiwi however, then that makes things more tricky....

BEVS Feb 20th 2013 1:32 am

Cheers guys.

He's a Kiwi by the way.
My thought is they should think to set up home together at some point & not in the parent's house as such.

Like the idea of the Oz WHV. That way they go have some fun together but also gain miles under the relationship belt.

HHHmmm. Vineyards. A good possibility, especially around here.