Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

X-ray certificate referred to Medical Assessor

X-ray certificate referred to Medical Assessor

Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Man2Auck is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy X-ray certificate referred to Medical Assessor

Oh no!

Got to know from London branch NZIS that my wife's work visa application has been referred to medical assessor on the reason that they have found some abnormality.

I immediately contacted the radiologist where the X-ray was done and got to know that the report was "cervical ribs are seen bilaterally, the right is larger than the left" and this is what made NZIS to refer to the assessor.

However, they also informed that they have approved my work visa & my kid's visitor visa
but what is the use if I don't get the visa approved for my wife !!

Has anybody come across a similar situation if not exactly? Obviously, this is worrying as nothing sure when the assessor will be passing on his comments back and what will be result at the end.
Can NZIS really reject even based on this kind of reason? Are they so strict? I know we are no doctors (most of us) but anysuch experience if you have had can be shared here. Atleast I can derive some reassurance from your experiences.

Still worrying....I don't want excitement to turn into huge disappointment for me and my family
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: X-ray certificate referred to Medical Assessor

Anything even slightly off the norm is referred to the MA. Believe, I know! My eldest son was referred because he had Osgood Schlatter (growing pains!) and my youngest son was referred because his chest x-ray showed an enlarged heart. The x-ray said that it was 'within the realms of normality' but still it was referred.
We had to get an x-ray and consultants report for the growing pains (around £250) and my youngest had to have an electro cardiogram (another £250).
Everything was finally approved and they are both currently living in ChCh .
So, don't panic just yet! It generally takes around 3 weeks each time it's referred, before you get any reply from the MA.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Man2Auck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chippy64 View Post
Anything even slightly off the norm is referred to the MA. Believe, I know! My eldest son was referred because he had Osgood Schlatter (growing pains!) and my youngest son was referred because his chest x-ray showed an enlarged heart. The x-ray said that it was 'within the realms of normality' but still it was referred.
We had to get an x-ray and consultants report for the growing pains (around £250) and my youngest had to have an electro cardiogram (another £250).
Everything was finally approved and they are both currently living in ChCh .
So, don't panic just yet! It generally takes around 3 weeks each time it's referred, before you get any reply from the MA.
Thanks chippy for sharing ur experience. I don't mind hurting my wallet to get some more tests done. but don't want to hear a straight rejection. Anyways, reading your case seems like there is a hope indeed.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

For a few weeks before we emigrated I had a visa and Neil didn't. In the end he got one, but it was delayed for medical reasons even though consultant reports said there was no problem. So I do know how stressful this is, and also it seems very uncaring - I was taking up a very skilled job here that, arguably, NZ needed (hence getting a visa - doh!!) but NZIS seem happy to split familes up. That's how it felt to me at the time.

I'm sure you will be fine, this just looks like something outside "normal" - whatever that is - and it's just a stresful delay you could do without

Jan