WTR visa versus Skilled Migrant visa

Old Dec 16th 2019, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

mexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nice
Default WTR visa versus Skilled Migrant visa

hi,
I have been living and working in Auckland for about 3 months now on a WTR 30 month visa. After speaking with other expats out here i'm wondering if submitting an EOI would be a smart move? I have looked through the govt website to try and work out what the real benefits would be but am finding it all a bit confusing, was someone on here might be able to provide some advice?

My wife and kids all came in under my visa status which was an important thing for us as we wanted our kids to be able to access the health care system should they need it. Looking further down the line though i'm wondering if it would be better to apply for residency now under the EOI route as currently we both have jobs within skills shortage areas so our points are looking pretty good. One positive i'm thinking is that we could get our residency now rather than waiting the 2 years on our current visa status, i've heard that it brings benefits such as being able to buy a property sooner which we may want to do.

any opinions on which option be best for us? we love it here so far and have no intention of returning to the UK and would like the option to buy in a year if things continue as they are. Also. my current visa status means i am tied to my employer, presumably if i get a residency via EOI i am free to switch employer?

thanks
Old Dec 16th 2019, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTR visa versus Skilled Migrant visa

When we went to NZ on WTR (15 yrs ago) we had an EOI submitted as soon as we arrived and got PR not long after!
For us having PR gave us a much greater feeling of security.(rightly or wrongly)
If nothing else, as soon as you have PR, you are on the road to citizenship.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 8:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mexnick
hi,
I have been living and working in Auckland for about 3 months now on a WTR 30 month visa. After speaking with other expats out here i'm wondering if submitting an EOI would be a smart move? I have looked through the govt website to try and work out what the real benefits would be but am finding it all a bit confusing, was someone on here might be able to provide some advice?

My wife and kids all came in under my visa status which was an important thing for us as we wanted our kids to be able to access the health care system should they need it. Looking further down the line though i'm wondering if it would be better to apply for residency now under the EOI route as currently we both have jobs within skills shortage areas so our points are looking pretty good. One positive i'm thinking is that we could get our residency now rather than waiting the 2 years on our current visa status, i've heard that it brings benefits such as being able to buy a property sooner which we may want to do.

any opinions on which option be best for us? we love it here so far and have no intention of returning to the UK and would like the option to buy in a year if things continue as they are. Also. my current visa status means i am tied to my employer, presumably if i get a residency via EOI i am free to switch employer?

thanks
Short answer is yes.
If you have the points under an SMC application then it is far better to be safe than sorry. Policies & criteria can change and employers can decide to not have employees.

It will cost you $$ of course but it is the way to go.

If you intend to stay and you can afford the fees then always go for residency as soon as is possible.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

mexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nice

Thanks for the replies, sounds like a no brainer...
cheers