WTR visa questions.

Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default WTR visa questions.

Ok, so I now have my job offer in NZ and they want me over there ASAP. There's really stopping me from going on this end, have a flat to sell but dont really need that to happen before I go. Not shipping any furniture so its just me and my suitcases (and all the other stuff!) to organise.
So, I was originally going to apply for PR as, with a job offer I have more than enough points but as I want to get moving as fast as possible I'm now looking at WTR instead.
So I had a look around the immigration web site and think I've slightly confused myself with work visas vz. WTR visa's. My thought are;
-Get all the paperwork together and apply for WTR which should give me a 30 month visa.
-Get over to NZ asap
-After a few months decide if I'm going to apply for PR over there

Does that sound right/sensible?
If it wasnt for the time issue I would go ahead and apply for PR initially but I really want to get over there asap so I think this is the best way to go?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:55 pm
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all
Default Re: WTR visa questions.

Thats the way I did it, cam over on a WTR visa last august, and am going through a PR app now. I'm pretty sure it'll turn out quicker this way (although others may beg to differ), and that may be the key if you're employer is desperate to get you over. I got my WTR sorted in about 3-4 months (delayed by a lost application for a police certificate) yet the EOI for PR went in in September and I'm now waiting for a case officer to be allocated to move it forward.
The only downside is that you may have to pay for 2 sets of medicals and police checks, dependent on how you time your later PR application.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by adamlt1972
Thats the way I did it, cam over on a WTR visa last august, and am going through a PR app now. I'm pretty sure it'll turn out quicker this way (although others may beg to differ), and that may be the key if you're employer is desperate to get you over. I got my WTR sorted in about 3-4 months (delayed by a lost application for a police certificate) yet the EOI for PR went in in September and I'm now waiting for a case officer to be allocated to move it forward.
The only downside is that you may have to pay for 2 sets of medicals and police checks, dependent on how you time your later PR application.
hi i thought that if you had a WTR you could not apply for PR untill you had been in and woprking in nz for two years
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:30 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

No, you can apply for PR while on a WTR whenever you like.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Does the same apply if one of you is over on a business visa and the other gets a job, can you apply for PR right away?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It depends on which WTR visa you have.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Bit confused (doesnt take much), didnt realise there was more than one type of WTR visa, could you clarify?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, so it looks like I'm on the right track.
I have enough points to apply for PR already so its really just a time issue and I'll be looking to apply for PR pretty soon after arriving so hopefully my police check and maybe my medical will still be valid.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by concretepump
hi i thought that if you had a WTR you could not apply for PR untill you had been in and woprking in nz for two years
You can apply for PR at any time you have enough points. NZ does not require you to be offshore or anything when applying for PR, but you have to be in NZ legally while awaiting your PR.

I came to NZ on a WTR and then applied for PR after about two months, personally I would apply for PR as soon as possible if you have the required points. There is little to no advantages of waiting, unless you are unsurte if NZ is for you long term and you just want to suss out the country for a year or so.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:03 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
Bit confused (doesnt take much), didnt realise there was more than one type of WTR visa, could you clarify?
No.1 - You apply for a WTR visa and you get a temporary work visa which allows you to work in NZ and then apply for PR after 2 years work.

No.2 - If you apply under the Skilled Migrant Category and get to the end of the process then NZIS can either turn you down, issue you with PR or issue you with a WTR visa. This is different to the first WTR visa in that you are issued with a 9m[I think] visa and can convert to PR once you have been working in a suitable job for 3m.

Same name, different conditions-they do it to confuse us
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you - I now understand and yes they seem to like to confuse 'us'.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Persephone
No.1 - You apply for a WTR visa and you get a temporary work visa which allows you to work in NZ and then apply for PR after 2 years work.

No.2 - If you apply under the Skilled Migrant Category and get to the end of the process then NZIS can either turn you down, issue you with PR or issue you with a WTR visa. This is different to the first WTR visa in that you are issued with a 9m[I think] visa and can convert to PR once you have been working in a suitable job for 3m.

Same name, different conditions-they do it to confuse us
for me it would be the first one as i dont have enough points