British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   WTR...or...EOI/ITA route? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/wtr-eoi-ita-route-498992/)

in_denial Dec 10th 2007 2:15 pm

WTR...or...EOI/ITA route?

Hi all,

As mentioned elsewhere, I've been offered a job with an accredited employer and was looking at a WTR visa ....... though having had a chat with some friends over the weekend (and if my head wasn't spinning enough with all the things I need to sort out :curse:), they mentioned that I could put in a request for a work permit and at the same time put in an EOI (I have enough points etc.) and go down that route for residence and that it should get me permanent resident status earlier.

I'm sure they are correct, though I'm not sure what the pros and cons of each are .......could someone please explain (like I was a four year old :o) ?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

happynz Dec 10th 2007 6:07 pm

Re: WTR...or...EOI/ITA route?

Originally Posted by in_denial (Post 5652820)
Hi all,

As mentioned elsewhere, I've been offered a job with an accredited employer and was looking at a WTR visa ....... though having had a chat with some friends over the weekend (and if my head wasn't spinning enough with all the things I need to sort out :curse:), they mentioned that I could put in a request for a work permit and at the same time put in an EOI (I have enough points etc.) and go down that route for residence and that it should get me permanent resident status earlier.

I'm sure they are correct, though I'm not sure what the pros and cons of each are .......could someone please explain (like I was a four year old :o) ?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Yes, your friends are correct. It is quite possible to come here on a work visa, get your permits on arrival and then submit your EOI.

Here are the advantages to the work permit route.
1. You can get residency faster.
2. You will be able to apply for citizenship five years after being granted residency.
3. There will be no minimum wage requirement. (ooh, that's a double edged sword)
4. You'll have softer more manageable hair. (OK, I'm not sure about that)

in_denial Dec 10th 2007 8:50 pm

Thanks happynz :)

So, the main advantage is getting residency quicker (say up to 18 months quicker) and obviously you can then apply for citizenship quicker too.

...... soft managable hair does sound good too though.

Cheers,

happynz Dec 10th 2007 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by in_denial (Post 5654064)
Thanks happynz :)

So, the main advantage is getting residency quicker (say up to 18 months quicker) and obviously you can then apply for citizenship quicker too.

...... soft managable hair does sound good too though.

Cheers,

Seriously, if you can get over here and if you are working and can qualify for residency, do it as there is no advantage to plodding along on a WTR if you don't need it. Get the residency as soon as you can.

P2L Dec 12th 2007 2:06 am

Not sure that your ACTUAL application will be processed any quicker just because you already have a work visa; several peeps on here have got similar applications in at the moment and tbh NZIS seem to be dragging their heels at bit at the moment. :unsure:

in_denial Dec 12th 2007 9:17 am

I'll get all the doco together for both (most of it is common anyway) and then at least it gives us the option to do whichever suits.

Cheers