Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

WTR and the challenging job search process

WTR and the challenging job search process

Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

sam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to behold
Default WTR and the challenging job search process

Hi guys,

I have my WTR visa (Work to Residence Visa), which I obtained last May 2011.I have made my first arrival to NZ in Aug 2011(within three months upon the visa issuance) in order to validate the visa, and I returned back to UAE to resume my work, as I am still employed in UAE.
My WTR visa expires 9 months after first arrival to New Zealand, so, there is a limited period of time to find an employment in NZ.
I am planning to make a move to NZ next month to search for a job there, and I have been in contact with number of recruitment agents,and friends in Auckland since my first arrival to NZ last August.
My concern is the time left on my WTR visa. Searching for job is a very challenging process there which needs a fairly long time, so I wonder if it is possible to ask NZ immigration for an extension of my WTR visa in order to have more enough time for my job search. Is it possible to have an extension of my WTR Visa for a maximum of 24 months? I have read some where on here maybe that WTR Visa can be extendable?
One more thing I need to ask is regarding one site which I came across during my job search, the name of the website is : http://www.newzealand-jobsearch.comIt is a company located in Kaitaia-North Island-NZ, and they provide assistance to job seekers, and they charge money for that. Have any one here tried their assistance? How good they are?

Hope to get your feedback for my two queries above
Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: WTR and the challenging job search process

Originally Posted by sam_79
Hi guys,

I have my WTR visa (Work to Residence Visa), which I obtained last May 2011.I have made my first arrival to NZ in Aug 2011(within three months upon the visa issuance) in order to validate the visa, and I returned back to UAE to resume my work, as I am still employed in UAE.
My WTR visa expires 9 months after first arrival to New Zealand, so, there is a limited period of time to find an employment in NZ.
I am planning to make a move to NZ next month to search for a job there, and I have been in contact with number of recruitment agents,and friends in Auckland since my first arrival to NZ last August.
My concern is the time left on my WTR visa. Searching for job is a very challenging process there which needs a fairly long time, so I wonder if it is possible to ask NZ immigration for an extension of my WTR visa in order to have more enough time for my job search. Is it possible to have an extension of my WTR Visa for a maximum of 24 months? I have read some where on here maybe that WTR Visa can be extendable?
What you were essentially given was a job search visa. This allowed you 9 months to find employment in your occupation under the SMC with your occupation in the long term shortage list. I very much doubt that they would extend this search visa to allow you 2 years to look for work. There is the issue of maintaining yourself for one. Visitors only get 6 months at a time.

What I think could happen ,if you did manage to find a job offer, is that you could apply for an interim visa to get you started and working if your 9 month WTR job search visa was about to expire.

One more thing I need to ask is regarding one site which I came across during my job search, the name of the website is It is a company located in Kaitaia-North Island-NZ, and they provide assistance to job seekers, and they charge money for that. Have any one here tried their assistance? How good they are?

Hope to get your feedback for my two queries above
Personally and it is just my point of view I would be wary of a job search company. Stick with registered professional recruiters. Also target companies within your occupation.Blanket cover NZ with a direct approach for a job. Boots on ground is best though and that is recognised by the job search visa.

What is your occupation ?
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

sam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS
What you were essentially given was a job search visa. This allowed you 9 months to find employment in your occupation under the SMC with your occupation in the long term shortage list. I very much doubt that they would extend this search visa to allow you 2 years to look for work. There is the issue of maintaining yourself for one. Visitors only get 6 months at a time.

What I think could happen ,if you did manage to find a job offer, is that you could apply for an interim visa to get you started and working if your 9 month WTR job search visa was about to expire.

Personally and it is just my point of view I would be wary of a job search company. Stick with registered professional recruiters. Also target companies within your occupation.Blanket cover NZ with a direct approach for a job. Boots on ground is best though and that is recognised by the job search visa.

What is your occupation ?
Hi BEVS,

Thank you so much for your feedback and the valued advice, appreciated..
Well, my intitlal application was actually for a NZ PR, but they offered me the WTR Visa as a deffered PR , and I believe it is a big risk to leave my job in UAE, and get my boots on the ground there for long time without any gurantee that I could find a job there. But any ways, I am travelling to NZ again this February to give a try there, despite the limited time remains on my Visa which is alomst 4 months upon arrival again in NZ.My occupation is an IT Professional (Technical Trainer), but had former experience in IT Applications Support which is one of the occupations considered in the LTSSL,and in which my PR Application was initially based on under SMC.

What could be the status If I managed to find a job there but not relevant to my work experience, would NZ Immigration consider this employment as a valid way towards getting NZ PR ? Or should the new role be in one of the LTSSL jobs based on my IT work experience which is originally claimed in my residence application in order to get the PR after working there for two years?
Thank you once again BEVS
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi BEVS,

Thank you so much for your feedback and the valued advice, appreciated..
Well, my intitlal application was actually for a NZ PR, but they offered me the WTR Visa as a deffered PR , and I believe it is a big risk to leave my job in UAE, and get my boots on the ground there for long time without any gurantee that I could find a job there. But any ways, I am travelling to NZ again this February to give a try there, despite the limited time remains on my Visa which is alomst 4 months upon arrival again in NZ.My occupation is an IT Professional (Technical Trainer), but had former experience in IT Applications Support which is one of the occupations considered in the LTSSL,and in which my PR Application was initially based on under SMC.

What could be the status If I managed to find a job there but not relevant to my work experience, would NZ Immigration consider this employment as a valid way towards getting NZ PR ? Or should the new role be in one of the LTSSL jobs based on my IT work experience which is originally claimed in my residence application in order to get the PR after working there for two years?
Thank you once again BEVS
Hi BEVS,

Awaiting your feedback

Thank you,
Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BEVS,

Awaiting your feedback

Thank you,
As Bevs is often busy & whilst we all try & help out where we can, none of us are licensed immigration advisors. So if you are anxious to get this information quickly & accurately, may I suggest that you contact NZIS
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:16 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What could be the status If I managed to find a job there but not relevant to my work experience, would NZ Immigration consider this employment as a valid way towards getting NZ PR ?
If the job offer was relevant to your overseas qualifications & close to your current occupation then they might perhaps allow it but there is no way to tell. Strictly speaking though - No.

Or should the new role be in one of the LTSSL jobs based on my IT work experience which is originally claimed in my residence application in order to get the PR after working there for two years?
Ideally yes. You should look to fulfil the terms and conditions of the visa you were issued with.

The job search visa was to allow you time to find a job offer in your field of expertise. The reason they offered you the job search was because there were concerns about your finding suitable employment in the current economic climate.

I can only repeat to you that being in the country is the best way to go to gain employment here at this moment in time.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
If the job offer was relevant to your overseas qualifications & close to your current occupation then they might perhaps allow it but there is no way to tell. Strictly speaking though - No.

Ideally yes. You should look to fulfil the terms and conditions of the visa you were issued with.

The job search visa was to allow you time to find a job offer in your field of expertise. The reason they offered you the job search was because there were concerns about your finding suitable employment in the current economic climate.

I can only repeat to you that being in the country is the best way to go to gain employment here at this moment in time.
Thank you so much BEVS appreciate your usual support and valuable advices on this forum.