WTR basic question

Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Uncle Nee Naw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WTR basic question

Hi all, I'm new here so please excuse my ignorance and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I'm interested in the WTR - Talent (Accredited Employers) stream. I've had a good read through the NZIS site and I understand that if I can obtain a job offer I may get a work visa/permit valid for 30 months. Does anyone know when this 30 months begins? Is it from when the visa is granted or when you first set foot in NZ using the visa or some other date? I ask this because I can foresee a big panic re. selling the house etc if the clock begins to tick as it were. Any advice gratfully received.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:53 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: WTR basic question

Originally Posted by Uncle Nee Naw
Hi all, I'm new here so please excuse my ignorance and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I'm interested in the WTR - Talent (Accredited Employers) stream. I've had a good read through the NZIS site and I understand that if I can obtain a job offer I may get a work visa/permit valid for 30 months. Does anyone know when this 30 months begins? Is it from when the visa is granted or when you first set foot in NZ using the visa or some other date? I ask this because I can foresee a big panic re. selling the house etc if the clock begins to tick as it were. Any advice gratfully received.
Your visa becomes active when you arrive. At immigration in the airport your passport will be stamped with a permit that allows you to undertake the purposes listed on your visa. This is when the clock starts ticking.

When you are issued a visa it will state when you need to arrive in New Zealand.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Uncle Nee Naw is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks happynz, that makes sense and explains the visa v permit thing. So, do you have to arrive in NZ (and receive a permit) within a specified time of having been granted a visa?

What is the normal course of events for this route? I imagine it to be:

Get job offer
Do medical
Do police check
Apply for visa (in London apparently)
Visa granted (within 2 weeks they say!)
Pitch up in NZ to begin 30 month work permit
After 24 months apply for PR (giving 6 months for processing - is this enough?)

Try to sell house at a convenient time during the above!!!

Any more wisdom gratefully received. Thanks.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:27 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Thanks happynz, that makes sense and explains the visa v permit thing. So, do you have to arrive in NZ (and receive a permit) within a specified time of having been granted a visa?
If I am on the same wavelength as you I would say yes.

Get job offer
Do medical
Do police check

Sounds good to me.

You are on top of it already.

Good luck.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Get job offer
Do medical
Do police check

Thats exactly my plan too...
The timescale with selling the house is gonna be the tricky thing for us too i think. Will will be victorious im sure.