British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   WTR! Applying for PR early? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/wtr-applying-pr-early-561572/)

garryhg Sep 15th 2008 5:41 am

WTR! Applying for PR early?

Hi All,

Myself & my family came out last July on WTR. I am aware that you then apply for PR after 24 Months. I done this as I was advised by my employer that this was the quickest route, and at the time seemed the right thing to do and they wanted me over immediately.

I was also told that if you have a work visa for more than 24 Months you get similar benefits to that of PR. This may be true in some cases, but certainly not when you try to bargain for a Home Loan (mortgage). I have since been advised by my bank to approach them again when I have PR and I can certainly get a better deal than the one currently offered, therefore I don't want to wait until next year......We would like to put down some roots as they say, (also we don't want to waste another year on rent)!

Has anyone else applied for PR before the time? Is it a case of starting again and completing an EOI, completing the paperwork, etc, etc. Also can I use the same medicals we used when we came out? I heard on another thread that they are valid for 24 Months in the hands of NZIS...I have also heard that I would need to get these again????:confused:
I work for an accredited employer and have enough points, but where do we go from here?
It would be great if someone could clarify this for me as I would like to get PR ASAP.

Cheers

terrier2 Sep 15th 2008 9:38 pm

Re: WTR! Applying for PR early?

Hi,
Just to give you my thoughts. You can not apply for PR through your WTR until you have worked for your employer for 24 months, when you apply through this route you will need to submit a letter from your employer confirming that you have completed 24 months, of course you arent going to get that letter before you have served the time. WTR doesnt need the points system, all you have to do is wait and serve the time.
I have just completed my 24 months sentence and put my application in last Friday.
Medicals last for 3 months, police check from the UK lasts for 6 months, so you will have to get new ones when you apply.
Sorry for bad news but here is some good news. I applied for a mortgage when I was on a work visa, I was told that the banks policy was that they wouldnt lend until you were a resident. I explained to them that they were mad! I had 30% deposit and told them that if I was to do a runner or was kicked out of the country my deposit was theirs. After they had a quick think about it (while I drank a coffee in their office) they came back and said that of course they would give me a mortgage at the advertised rate, no problem.
I bank with the TSB and I am more than happy with the service I receive, look at it from their view, you are going to put a deposit down on a house that they will own and then you are going to pay them rent on it for many many years, whatever happens they are not going to lose. Maybe you should try explaining that to them.
Cheers