Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

WTR\PR -Pharmacist needing to do internship

WTR\PR -Pharmacist needing to do internship

Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:25 am
Just Joined

osmanmohamed is an unknown quantity at this point
Question WTR\PR -Pharmacist needing to do internship

Hey all,

I want to start by thanking everyone in this forum for the information I got by just reading through the forum

But this time I didn't find any info about my case

I will first introduce myself

I am Mohamed Osman, I applied for PR under the skilled migrant category as I am a pharmacist in Egypt, sure I went through the registration process with the pharmacy council of NZ, and now i need to start an internship and an evolve program to get my full registration.

I got my interview today, I was told that I won't be granted a PR
,However, I am always optimistic so i think I will get WTR visa

My concern here is that it is a 9 month permit which might not be enough for me to finish my internship and be fully registered. and working as an intern is not enough to get my PR

"So know more, need little"

In worst case scenarios that I need 3 or 4 month more to finish my registration

So my questions are:

1. Is there a way to extend my WTR permit to finish the registration?
2. Is there anyone who faced the same situation where You are really doing good but running out of time?and what is your advice?
3. for sure I understood the risks i am taking, but more advice about my risks will be appreciated?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: WTR\PR

Kia Ora and welcome to our wee NZ forum.

It is normal for those whose occupations require NZ registration to be offered WTR.

I know of one pharmacist who has arrived and settled here.

Here is a link to a previous thread which may be a little helpful.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: WTR\PR

Thanks a lot for your quick reply

you've been so helpful

when i checked the thread it is a little bit different from my situation, maybe I just wrote to much info

to get to the point:

I need about 9 month internship +2-3 month to get full registration
WTR is for 9 month only

So will I be granted a PR or extension to my visa upon getting an internship ??

BTW: You really gave me through your posts in this forum the best replies to my inquiries in all the forums related to this point

Thanks again
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:05 am
`

Here is another
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: WTR\PR

Thanks for the thread this actually gave me an insight to the situation

However, I went through all the threads related to pharmacists, and yet didn't get the answer? I think this case wasn't discussed before

WTR is for 9 month only

I am sorry If i am asking again, but I am in a really tight situation here

thanks again for all the help
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:31 am
`

Originally Posted by osmanmohamed
WTR is for 9 month only

HHmm. Shelloid, as a pharmacist, is the best person to answer this perhaps. I have messaged them for you. Hopefully they will see the message.

It is possible to apply for a 3 month extension to a WTR visa. That would give you a total of 12 months.

However, I'm not sure that NZIS are that hard nosed. Once in 'internship' and if the NZ Pharmacy Council & your employer ( overseer) can endorse your ability , then I see no reason why you shouldn't go for a SMC residency application once here in NZ and working. It shows intent to work and remain within your profession.

It's the same rigmarole for plumbers.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up New Info and misunderstanding

I am sorry but please correct me if I am wrong
when you enter NZ on any work permit WTR/PR/Work visa...
you will be able to register in the pharmacy council in the scope of practice of intern pharmacists
by getting the registration+work for three month= change WTR to PR

yeaaaaaaaaaa I got my answer

Sorry again for the misunderstanding
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:49 am
`

What is the InternTraining Programme?After gaining a BPharm if the graduate wishes to practise as a pharmacist they must complete the Preregistration Training Programme of the Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand. This is a competence based training programme which is undertaken whilst the graduate (intern) is working in a pharmacy under the guidance of a preceptor pharmacist. The objectives of the programme are for interns to develop judgement and management skills, which will enable them to apply the academic knowledge they have gained during their degree. Interns learn the skills that relate to the dispensing of medicines and gain skills in communicating with doctors, other healthcare providers and patients. Qualified pharmacists from countries other than Australia and the United Kingdom are also required to undertake a period of preregistration training before they can apply for registration.
You will need to find employment in this field to complete the internship ( same for plumbers)
As it is, in essence ,employment that means you fulfill WTR because you have found employment BUT because of Pharmaceutical Registration you would wait until the internship is virtually completed before applying to convert WTR to PR. At least that is my understanding.

It would be better for an actual pharmacist to confirm & I would really prefer this as I am not a pharmacist..

Meanwhile, look for where you can do your internship.

District Health Boards are a possibility.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 7:15 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, I'm really not sure whether immigration would see the offer of an intern pharmacist post as the same as one for a pharmacist post. My gut feeling would be yes, as the offer would still state pharmacist in the title.

If (and when) you get offered a job as intern pharmacist I would send that letter off to immigration and see what they say - I think they would accept it as an offer for a job as a pharmacist, but that's just my gut instinct. If they don't then I would try to send them every piece of info you can get regarding the whole registration process in NZ and links to the NZ pharmacy council website.

It may depend on your case officer too.

I really can't say for certain whether they will give you an extension on a WTR visa or whether getting the registration as an intern and working for three month would be sufficient to get PR.
I would think it would be the latter option, but that is just my opinion.
My situation was a bit different to yours as I only needed to complete a 4 week supervised practice when I came over, and so the job I was offered to begin with was a pharmacist post.

If you want any further advice / information just give us a yell, as I know how frustrating/scary it can be with the whole registration worry. This includes advice about applying for jobs and where to look for jobs too.

As BEVS has said, the only way that you can get registration as an intern is by getting a job offer.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: WTR\PR

Dear shelloid,

Let me tell you that really good news come together as....

I just got the acceptance for WTR and sure I am one step ahead towards my dreaaaaaaaaaaammm and you are mentioning I might get my PR on the internship contract or might get an extension to WTR or at least I will figure out a way to finish my internship

Thanks a lot

I will arrive at the end of September and I think I will start by Auckland...

Any advices

Thanks a ton...
Old Jul 21st 2011, 10:45 pm
`

Originally Posted by shelloid

If you want any further advice / information just give us a yell, as I know how frustrating/scary it can be with the whole registration worry. This includes advice about applying for jobs and where to look for jobs too.

As BEVS has said, the only way that you can get registration as an intern is by getting a job offer.
Thanks so much for popping by Shelloid Karma your way.

Originally Posted by osmanmohamed
I just got the acceptance for WTR
Very many congrats to you.

Time to get cracking to get that internship job offer .

You could start with the district health boards.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:24 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTR\PR -Pharmacist needing to do internship

Congrats on the WTR visa - feels amazing doesn't it!

Bear in mind that is just my opinion about the PR visa and it may not be true. I really would ask immigration before you come over. It would be terrible if you came over and I was wrong and there was problems with the visa.

Are you planning on coming over and then trying to find work? If you can I would try to get a job offer beforehand if possible. Do you have community or hospital experience? Which sector would you be looking for work in?
Let me know and I'll try to give you some tips on where to look for jobs.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: WTR\PR -Pharmacist needing to do internship

Congrats on the WTR visa - feels amazing doesn't it!
Shelloid you are so helpful, I don't know how to thank you for just giving me these advices...
Of course amazing feeling; everyday i just open the email and read it, it is just two lines than might change my life forever

Bear in mind that is just my opinion about the PR visa and it may not be true. I really would ask immigration before you come over. It would be terrible if you came over and I was wrong and there was problems with the visa.
Don't worry about it as I have decided to come and fully understand the risks I am taking... and BTW I got a confirmation that I can extend my WTR for 3 month in certain conditions (as mine).Besides, I can finish my full registration in NZ in less than 9 month if I got my internship early enough as it takes 26 (6.5 month) weeks which gives me about 10 weeks (2.5 month) to get an internship and this is applicable

Are you planning on coming over and then trying to find work? If you can I would try to get a job offer beforehand if possible. Do you have community or hospital experience? Which sector would you be looking for work in?
Let me know and I'll try to give you some tips on where to look for jobs.
I have 3 years of community pharmacy experience in Egypt...

For that I will first seek opportunities in a community pharmacy as with my experience it might increase my chances, However, Time is my concern as I mentioned If I got an opportunity in a hospital pharmacy I will go ahead
I will be in Auckland by the end of September to give me time for right planning as I got no social network there and sure I am trying to get as much info as I can because count down starts from the moment I step in and I am on my own

Thanks in advance for the help!
If all Kiwis got this generosity and support as you, I think that I made the perfect choice..
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:55 am
~^_^~

fantastic news that you also got confirmation about extending the WTR visa for the internship.

Ans good luck in getting an internship. I work in hospital and so don't know a huge amount about community over here....but if you want pointers about hospital posts and interviews, I'll be here for you.

Good luck!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:09 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on getting the WTR!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.