WP and then PR or WTR?

Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Sniffer Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face WP and then PR or WTR?

Apologises if this topic has been covered lots, tried to find an answer on
various threads but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for.

Just been offered a permenant contract as a primary school teacher in
Auckland (have to be there by Jan 15th) and simply want to know which option would you recommend as concerned about lack of residency during the two years on WTR.

I was thinking of getting a WP or work visa initially and then applying for
PR straight after or simply going down the WTR route. However, I heard
that not being a resident can mean problems such as with getting a mortgage and no child benefits because you are not a resident. Is that true?

Again, sorry if this has been covered. Please let me know of a thread or
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WP and then PR or WTR?

Originally Posted by Sniffer Bailey

Auckland (have to be there by Jan 15th) and simply want to know which option would you recommend as concerned about lack of residency during the two years on WTR.

that not being a resident can mean problems such as with getting a mortgage and no child benefits because you are not a resident. Is that true?

Thanks
I think if it was me, with a job offer in place, and if you have enough points to put in a EOI then I would go down the route for PR. that way you are sorted on arrival and then you dont have the hassel of going on a work permit and then getting PR, especailly as you'd then have to get meds, police checks etc.
As you dont have to be there until Jan 09' it would give you plenty of time to sort everything out.
Only my opinion someone may have other ideas,
good luck
Chris
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sniffer Bailey

Thanks
YOU LUCKY THING!! Oh please tell me how you did this, pretty please
PM me if you prefer. Wishing you loads of luck, where abouts in Auckland?
Cheers,
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Flan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really nice

Congrats Sniffer Bailey!

I agree with what's already been said, you should place an EOI asap and hope to get PR before Jan. You should have plenty of time seeing as you already have the job offer. From reading other people's threads it seems that things are moving quickly at the moment.

I'm a teacher too (secondary though) and would love your advice! Did you register with the Teaching Council first? How did you get your job? Did you have a telephone interview or were you over in NZ? Would love to know your advice! I am looking for jobs on the Ed Gazette but not sure how seriously they take my enquiries!

Congratulations again!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

So, Sniffer, it would seem you need to tell all!! Honestly, if you can bear to do it, your experience could be really valuable to others.. Have I crawled enough yet
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Sniffer Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: WP and then PR or WTR?

Thanks for the advice. Just phoned immigration they advised me to go for PR because if all goes well it should come through within 1 - 3 months.

It's a long story but here is a very brief version. Applied for PR to Canada,
re-trained and they simply did not want to know and would not accept
my managerial experience. A friend who lived in Auckland told me they
are desperate for teachers and my experience would be accepted. I would
be valued.

A complete turnaround which a few people laughed at but my career is important to me. Spoke to a few people about what to do, many recommended websites but it didn't feel right. I was not prepared to
give up on one thing in the more chance of getting a job somewhere else.

In my mind, I thought we would only go if I definetly had a job otherwise
we stick to Canada. The only way to do so was to go to Auckland and get
into the schools. We have no money, one of the reasons we are leaving -
live in Guernsey - the most expensive place to live on the planet, so had to
stick it on the credit card. Worked on the CV with some friends and walked
into schools and sold myself. It was during the Easter holidays so I
only had 9 days but got into 15 schools. It was the wrong time of
year to go because most schools did not know what vacancies they would
have but fortunately one school said they were very interested and would
interview me over skype when I got back.

I suppose the key thing is to go there and meet them face to face. If
you show you have a passion for teaching and willingness to fit in, nearly
all schools showed a lot of interest. The first head I got to meet, advised
me to get into as many schools as possible because by meeting you they
know what they are going to get!

Tried to keep it brief - my head is still spinning - my poor wife was left
for 11 days with the three children but it was worth it - hopefully anyway.

Forget to mention - all the schools I visited were on the North Shore and it was all wonderful and beautiful. Another reason why I (we) want to go!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for taking the time to reply Sniffer. Good on you for taking the bull by the horns and just going for it. So which school have you ended up in? And what age group will you be teaching? Soooo jealous!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Flan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really nice

Yes thank you for all your advice Sniffer! A great story - well done for being so pro-active!

I think I will continue applying but not worry too much. Then we get out there do as you suggest and go sell myself!

Congratulations again
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:08 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Congratulations.

I agree with what's been said PR if you have the points. I read on another thread that you can get Child Benefit with PR on a recent thread - within the last 7 days. Sure it was someone with PR recommending PR to someone with a similar question to yours and stated they get child benefit,

Hope this helps
Pauline