would you take any job to get to NZ?

Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default would you take any job to get to NZ?

Hi all

we have a dilemma! Just wondered if anyone had any advice or some helpful stories.

OH has a pretty good job here in the UK. We are comfortable and happy and are not moving to 'get away' from anything but we wish to immigrate to NZ because we want to give our children that way of life - ie. staying kids for longer, more outdoorsy etc etc plus we could all use a slower pace of life and just want the adventure of it all.

OH has been in touch with job agencies and companies trying to find work in NZ who have offered to put his name forward for a few jobs in NZ. These jobs are not related to what he is currently doing career-wize but there is a remote link to his qualifications. The problem is that taking these jobs would change the path of his career and take him in another direction. A direction I might add that he doesn't really want to go - ie his ultimate career goals are really on path with what he's doing in UK.

Now, my question really is - would you just take this job just to get over to NZ? Or do you think we are wise to stick it out in the UK until the right job comes along (bearing in mind that in the current job market, this could be a while). I just wondered how many of you had taken a job that you probably didn't really want to do, just to get a job to go to NZ.

I'm trying to decide how much we really want NZ and if it's worth throwing the towel in on everything he's worked so hard for here in the UK.

I know you can't tell me wha tto do, but I just wondered if this is a compromise that alot of people have had to make and if we should consider it if we really want to get to NZ by whatever means possible.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: would you take any job to get to NZ?

sorry, am not going to be very helpful, but just wanted to say what a tough one! this is exactly our dilemma, with the same reasons for wanting to make the move, except our dilemma got made much easier a few months ago when OH's redundancy was confirmed this coming March!

Prior to this happening, we were erring on the side of going for it anyway, cos otherwise you'll never know etc, but i suspect that is a 'heart' decision rather than a 'head' one... it will be interesting to see responses from people that have already made the move...

actually, thinking about it, a couple of years ago, one of my primary objections to making the move then was that i had the ideal job (for me anyway!) i had job security, a career path that i'd settled on, decent salary (a rarity round here), the company paid for my post-grad, i had flexible hours, colleagues whose company i enjoyed and a management team that had my respect and gave me theirs... then whilst i was on mat leave all that changed (it would have done whether i was on leave or not) as a couple of key personnel changed.... i still enjoy my job etc, but i've realised that my 'happiness' at work is based on so many factors that i have no control over, it's not worth setting so much store by it

we're currently wondering about OH heading over by himself for a couple of weeks april time to try and secure a job offer and increase our chances of PR... we've sold up, cleared out, ebay'd the junk and we're 'good to go'... a happy situation to be in!

good luck!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I keep being told not to apply for work getting told I am not in the right postition in the E.O.I. proccess, wait until you are 6-7 weeks away from the move?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getmethere View Post
Hi all

we have a dilemma! Just wondered if anyone had any advice or some helpful stories.

OH has a pretty good job here in the UK. We are comfortable and happy and are not moving to 'get away' from anything but we wish to immigrate to NZ because we want to give our children that way of life - ie. staying kids for longer, more outdoorsy etc etc plus we could all use a slower pace of life and just want the adventure of it all.

OH has been in touch with job agencies and companies trying to find work in NZ who have offered to put his name forward for a few jobs in NZ. These jobs are not related to what he is currently doing career-wize but there is a remote link to his qualifications. The problem is that taking these jobs would change the path of his career and take him in another direction. A direction I might add that he doesn't really want to go - ie his ultimate career goals are really on path with what he's doing in UK.

Now, my question really is - would you just take this job just to get over to NZ? Or do you think we are wise to stick it out in the UK until the right job comes along (bearing in mind that in the current job market, this could be a while). I just wondered how many of you had taken a job that you probably didn't really want to do, just to get a job to go to NZ.

I'm trying to decide how much we really want NZ and if it's worth throwing the towel in on everything he's worked so hard for here in the UK.

I know you can't tell me wha tto do, but I just wondered if this is a compromise that alot of people have had to make and if we should consider it if we really want to get to NZ by whatever means possible.
I have to say it helped that not much was going right in the UK for either Kate or I..not that that was the main reason for leaving, but obviously we did not give up much in the way of where we lived and as neither of our careers were going as planned we had little to lose. If you don't go you will be 'what iffing'..if you do go and it goes to custard in NZ (like you hate the place) there will be potential weeping and gnashing of teeth with respect to what you gave up. But my motto is as per Delboys, 'he who dares'. Plus the biggest risk in life is not taking any. Just do it.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

MaryMc is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been here for 18 years, but if we were coming over now, I'd say, yes, any job to get here.

Best thing we ever did for us, and especially the kids, was to come to NZ.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaryMc View Post
We've been here for 18 years, but if we were coming over now, I'd say, yes, any job to get here.

Best thing we ever did for us, and especially the kids, was to come to NZ.
Methinks she wants to sell you some real estate when you get here!

I would say 'no' don't throw in the towel on an 'established, good' life in UK. Come here for the right job..not just any job....and keep an escape route either way if at all possible.