British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Working Visa.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/working-visa-697838/)

hidchere Dec 22nd 2010 1:39 pm

Working Visa..

Hello, im hoping to head to Christchurch on a working visa in September...

My questions...

1: Im 30 now and 31 when i actually leave the uk, im under the impression that i can still get the working visa provided i apply before im 31, is this correct?

2: We are working on the assumption that we have $250-$300 per week for rent, what areas should i avoid for various reasons like ease of transport to the city, safety etc (i know im going to get a few messages about all of new Zealand is safe etc but theres always a couple of areas best avoided...), also is this budget enough?

3. The main reason im coming is because I want to play a season of cricket (local, not professional), bit of a life goal. Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

David

I know working visa usually means traveller but for me i want to actually feel like im living there.

j19fmm Dec 22nd 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Working Visa..

Hey David, welcome, you'll have to wait for them down under to wake up, it sounds like you have yourself a plan :thumbup:

MnB Dec 22nd 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Working Visa..Christchurch

Originally Posted by hidchere (Post 9055379)
Hello, im hoping to head to Christchurch on a working visa in September...

My questions...

1: Im 30 now and 31 when i actually leave the uk, im under the impression that i can still get the working visa provided i apply before im 31, is this correct?

2: We are working on the assumption that we have $250-$300 per week for rent, what areas should i avoid for various reasons like ease of transport to the city, safety etc (i know im going to get a few messages about all of new Zealand is safe etc but theres always a couple of areas best avoided...), also is this budget enough?

3. The main reason im coming is because I want to play a season of cricket (local, not professional), bit of a life goal. Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

David

HI & welcome to this happy, informative forum:thumbsup:, there are quite a few members living in ChCh area who I'm sure will be more able to answer your questions but in the mean time I'll attempt to help.
In reply to your questions.....
1. Not to sure about this one, but as other poster says 'when kiwis wake up' hopefully someone will be able to answer it for you or point you in the right direction......assuming you've checked out NZIS web site ?:unsure:
2. Didn't rent in the ChCh area but we found that $300 per wk was the minimum for a habitable place in a 'nice' area (Eastern & Western Bay of Plenty)
3. I'm sure this will be possible but sorry....no recommendations

Try using the search facility or check out the wiki pages for Christchuch for some information and keep posting away!!
HTH
B x

hidchere Dec 22nd 2010 6:51 pm

Thanks for the welcome (didnt know the sort of reaction i would get as im just getting a temp visa...)! I have read a few websites but cant sus the wording out very well. I have the flight (£250 one way!! Airasia, rubbishy airline but i know what to expect and flown a lot with them before) and at the worst il just get a tourist visa so not gping to be wasted. I was looking on the trademe website and it looked like 250 was pretty good, this is why im here cos nothing ever seems quite as easy as it looks.

BEVS Dec 22nd 2010 8:09 pm

Hi and welcome to BE.

When you say working visa , do you mean a temporary work visa or a working holiday visa. They are very different.

I think you mean a working holiday visa ( link) which allows you to do little bits of work here and there whilst holidaying and touring around NZ.

As far as I am aware you should NOT have turned 31 at the time you make the application. I would think that they count your age from when they process the application not when you send it though. You are cutting it fine

with regard to Christchurch, I suggest you start a new dedicated thread about this in our main NZ forum. Plenty of folk on here live in and around the Christchurch area.

hidchere Dec 22nd 2010 10:13 pm

Yes i did mean the tourist visa that lasts for 1 year. i tried to post on the main forum but i got moved unfortunatly...:huh:

oh and i have read this and my theory goes....

I apply before im 31 and then i have a year to arrive before the start of my visa that i have in my hand? please read and let me know if my thinking makes sense...

Thanks

http://www.visas-australia.com/visas/newzealand.asp

and click on "How long have I got to enter New Zealand?"

this is what i read on the NZ immigration website

A work visa issued under a working holiday scheme is valid for 12 months. This means that you will have 12 months from the date your application is approved to arrive in New Zealand. You will also receive a multiple entry work visa which allows you to leave and return to New Zealand during your working holiday.

You will be granted a work permit on your arrival in New Zealand, and your multiple entry work visa will be activated.

So my thought is that i can apply for my visa b4 im 31 and get there when i am... does this seem right?

Thanks

David

celeliza Dec 23rd 2010 1:04 am

Hi David,

I applied for a working holiday visa in the UK and I was 30 (3 months before my 31st birthday) at the time I applied. I got a multiple entry visa and a work permit on arrival.

Once you have applied, whether you're 30 or 31, you can leave the UK anytime and have 12 months to enter NZ to activate the visa/permit.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Claire

BEVS Dec 23rd 2010 1:21 am

Yes. It does sound right & Celeliza has confirmed. :)

T'was me that moved this thread into Immy coz it was a query about immy visas.
Sart a new thread about Christchurch in the main forum and see what pops up.

hidchere Dec 23rd 2010 7:58 am

Ok phew! Thanks! Now onto the actual where im going part...