British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Working to Residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/working-residency-730546/)

Colin1960 Aug 30th 2011 2:48 pm

Working to Residency

Hi,
I have a brother who's lived in NZ for over 20 years. Have been thinking about moving to NZ for a couple of years now. I'll be in NZ for a month in Nov/Dec this year and was wondering how this "Working to Residency" scheme works. Can I apply for jobs before I have a Visa? Can I get a visa before I have a job etc?:unsure:

Persephone Aug 30th 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Working to Residency

Hello and welcome,
It is job first and then visa unless you have enough points to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category [SMC].

For a Work to Residence [WTR] visa you need to get a job offer first which has to fulfill certain conditions. Follow this link:WTR requirements Usually you need to be in a profession that is on the Long Term Skills Shortage List or the employer has to be accredited. You get a temporary work visa with the ability to convert to residence after having worked for 24m.

A work visa is temporary and will not necessarily lead to residency though work in NZ may up your points enough to apply for it. Any job offer has to be on one of the skills shortages lists or the employer must prove that no NZers are available to do the job.

Are you considering staying permanently? Are you able to apply via the SMC? What job do you do? More info would help determine what you can/can't apply for.
If you have enough points and/or are in a profession in demand you may be able to gain residency with or without a job offer under the SMC.

I've tried to keep it brief for now.
Hope this helps:)

robbyarg Sep 15th 2011 8:42 am

The WTR is essentially a skilled residence visa route that you are granted when you can't get a direct PR through skilled migrant applications. This is when you are not deemed to make a direct positive impact (but have some potential) to NZ in terms of workforce contribution and other things that any country looks for in a good and capable working citizen. It would be a temp visa to find a job in NZ in upto around 9 months and you can live and travel there in that period and find a job. Once a job is confirmed, you work upto 3 months and then get granted a PR to live and work in NZ without such inconvenient conditions.

Generally, you should have a very good profession and work experience that NZ need and have shown that you have made significant communication with prospective employers and that they are willing to hire you if have an apropriate visa, you have more chances for a PR. Also if you show you have the finances to settle in NZ. For eg. you are coming to NZ with approximately 40K NZD, there is no way you would not be capable of surviving in NZ.

So this WTR path is NOT a very good one. You would prefer to have the credentials that coerce NZ Immigration to make a decision in your favour with a PR. There are no guarantees that you will find a job whilst having a WTR and those 9 months can pass even before you know it and you may not be able to secure a job. Also the decision to move will be a costly one with a gamble. Employers would prefer NZ PR holders or citizens instead over WTR Visa holders.

If you feel less confident with your PR chances, then you can think about a job offer which prevents NZ Immigration from refusing your PR at virtually all costs.

Hope this helps. Plan your application well using the points I raised. You don't want a WTR, you want a PR instead or a job offer to get that PR.

Originally Posted by Colin1960 (Post 9590376)
Hi,
I have a brother who's lived in NZ for over 20 years. Have been thinking about moving to NZ for a couple of years now. I'll be in NZ for a month in Nov/Dec this year and was wondering how this "Working to Residency" scheme works. Can I apply for jobs before I have a Visa? Can I get a visa before I have a job etc?:unsure:

Persephone Sep 15th 2011 8:54 am

Originally Posted by robbyarg (Post 9622480)
The WTR is essentially a skilled residence visa route that you are granted when you can't get a direct PR through skilled migrant applications. This is when you are not deemed to make a direct positive impact (but have some potential) to NZ in terms of workforce contribution and other things that any country looks for in a good and capable working citizen. It would be a temp visa to find a job in NZ in upto around 9 months and you can live and travel there in that period and find a job. Once a job is confirmed, you work upto 3 months and then get granted a PR to live and work in NZ without such inconvenient conditions.

Generally, you should have a very good profession and work experience that NZ need and have shown that you have made significant communication with prospective employers and that they are willing to hire you if have an apropriate visa, you have more chances for a PR. Also if you show you have the finances to settle in NZ. For eg. you are coming to NZ with approximately 40K NZD, there is no way you would not be capable of surviving in NZ.

So this WTR path is NOT a very good one. You would prefer to have the credentials that coerce NZ Immigration to make a decision in your favour with a PR. There are no guarantees that you find a job whilst having a WTR and those 9 months can pass even before you no it and you may not be able to secure a job. Also the decision to move will be a costly one with a gamble. Employers would prefer NZ PR holders or citizens instead over WTR Visa holders.

If you feel less confident with your PR chances, then you can think about a job offer which prevent NZ Immigration from refusing your PR at virtually all costs.

Hope this helps. Plan your application well using the points I raised. You don't want a WTR, you want a PR instead.

The OP made no indication that they were only looking at WTR via the SMC. Why have you not made any mention of the Work to Residence visa? More information is needed before we can help in terms of which visa route would be best.

Persephone Sep 15th 2011 8:58 am

Colin, there is this category as well though it looks like a lengthy process and it depends on whether your brother is eligible to sponsor you. I suspect he is a resident or citizen given the length of time he's been in NZ.
Can I sponsor my brother?