British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   working in newzeland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/working-newzeland-793412/)

seanogden Apr 9th 2013 7:48 am

working in newzeland

Hi can eneyone be of help I have been offered a job in newzeland working in Christ church on the rebuild operating heavy plant machinery it's a 6 months contract to start with I have to pay my own expenses living costs ext the rate of pay is 26dollar's per hour with lots of over time I live in the UK and rent at the moment with my partner the concerns I have is I will have to send some money home about 150 to 200 every week is it expensive to send money home or is it possible. is it expensive to rent a room in a family home are there any caravan parks were you can rent. I am very interested in going to be part of the rebuild to help the people of Christ church my partner will fly out for a holiday and we will take it from there she works in the property manager thanks Sean.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

MrsFychan Apr 9th 2013 8:39 am

Re: working in newzeland

it is expensive from what others have said in ChCH and I'm not sure $26 per hour is going to leave you enough to live on and still send money back. Plus its quite expensive to obtain a visa in the first place, that is if you can actually get one.

How far along in the visa application are you and do you know how much that and the medicals (if you need them) will cost you?

seanogden Apr 9th 2013 10:18 am

Hi I have not got a visa application at the moment to be honest I have got my final interview tonight on Skype but the company as shown real interest in me going over as there struggling to get experienced people as for visa the company is going to Sponser and help me with my visa I no that there is a lot of trades gone out some in there 50/s I no the visa will be expensive I'm looking to go direct to newzeland government thanks

simonsi Apr 9th 2013 11:42 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10648410)
do you know how much that and the medicals (if you need them) will cost you?

If he has a 6mth contract I suspect that is the length of the visa he will get so as less than 6mths I don't think he has a medical to do, certainly not a full one.

seanogden Apr 9th 2013 12:12 pm

I will not get 6months visa because of my age so I have been told 42 thanks

concretepump Apr 9th 2013 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by seanogden (Post 10648364)
Hi can eneyone be of help I have been offered a job in newzeland working in Christ church on the rebuild operating heavy plant machinery it's a 6 months contract to start with I have to pay my own expenses living costs ext the rate of pay is 26dollar's per hour with lots of over time I live in the UK and rent at the moment with my partner the concerns I have is I will have to send some money home about 150 to 200 every week is it expensive to send money home or is it possible. is it expensive to rent a room in a family home are there any caravan parks were you can rent. I am very interested in going to be part of the rebuild to help the people of Christ church my partner will fly out for a holiday and we will take it from there she works in the property manager thanks Sean.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

hi unless theres both of you working you wont, have enough money to send back to uk, £200 is about $350, if you do a min eight hour day five day week that's only $1040.00 per week before tax, then rent is high and food you wont have a lot left over, by the time you have spent money on flights medicals ect you would have earned more in uk, seeing as its only for six months, because if they don't want you after that time you have to leave within days, but if you think you can stay and make ago of it, then do it:unsure:

seanogden Apr 9th 2013 5:10 pm

Need to have 1300 dollar's in me pocket after tax that's what I recon thanks

seanogden Apr 9th 2013 5:11 pm

Need to have 1300 after tax that's what I recon thanks pal

MrsFychan Apr 9th 2013 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by seanogden (Post 10649544)
Need to have 1300 after tax that's what I recon thanks pal

Is that per month? Remember every single penny is taxed here,

here are the rates:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/taxrat...etaxrates.html

think you are going to need more than $26 per hour to achieve your desired amount

Persephone Apr 10th 2013 12:10 am

I think he means per week though it isn't clear at all.

It will be a struggle to earn that much take home pay on $26/hr. You'd have to work well over 50 hours per week.
Rent is especially expensive in Christchurch and if the job is only for six months you will be lucky to break even once you take flights, visa etc into account.

Why can you not get a 6month work visa because of your age?. That seems a little strange:confused:

welsh carpenter Sep 21st 2013 10:12 am

i'm a carpenter coming to chch in 4 weeks time for a 5 year contract, anybody know if there are any expat meeting in the area?