Working in New Zealand

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Paul187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in New Zealand

Hello
I am from the Uk and I am 36 years old and thinking about doing the RTW thing next year and was wondering what the posilibities of stopping off and working in New Zealand for a couple of months maybe longer would be.I have had a look on this forum but have not found any information.Any help would be appreciated.
Paul
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Working in New Zealand

Hi

i'm no expert - hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge but
I think you're above the age for working holiday visa (cut off 30 I think) so you would have to find another route in.

there isn't a way to have a work permit without a job (not yet at least, though seems like rules may be changing sometime) but at the moment you have to have a job offer to get a work permit but many people have gone over on a holiday visa/visitors visa and found work and then got a work permit to allow them to stay but I think there are rules and regulations about this (ie must be skilled work, on the list, related to qualifications or something like this etc etc), won't allow just any work I think. So if you just wanted to drop in and work for a few months, I don't know if you would be able to do this without a solid job offer/contract etc)

but there are other things - like the BUNAC thing http://www.bunac.org/uk/worknewzealand/faqs.aspx

or seasonal work permit for certain industries

your best bet is to try this website http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ it will help with all kinds of visas
Old Dec 26th 2008, 7:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Paul187
Hello
I am from the Uk and I am 36 years old and thinking about doing the RTW thing next year and was wondering what the posilibities of stopping off and working in New Zealand for a couple of months maybe longer would be.I have had a look on this forum but have not found any information.Any help would be appreciated.
Paul
RTW = Round the World?

You could consider a seasonal work permit which is used for those working temporarily in the orchards, vineyards etc. There is a list of NZIS recognised employers.

Other than that, you could find yourself temporary work in an other occupation and apply for a temporary work permit. This would be for a set period of time. You would need the job offer first & then apply for the work permit. With this however it will need to be shown that you are not taking work from an NZ permanent resident or citizen. Also the job offer must match your quals , skills /work experience.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Paul187 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Bevs Getmethere
Thanks to reply I have looked into the suggestions you mentioned and feel a bit clearer in my mind with the situation of working in New Zealand.
Thanks again
Paul