British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Working holiday visa while pregnant? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/working-holiday-visa-while-pregnant-723338/)

ladylondon Jul 2nd 2011 4:03 pm

Working holiday visa while pregnant?

Hi,

I have literally just found out I am pregnant (due March 2012). The problem is my husband and I are giving up work for a year to move to New Zealand in September on a 12 month working holiday visa. We were going to apply at the end of this month (as I have heard it doesn't take very long). We have flights booked and a van booked (and paid for!) for the first 8 weeks to travel around in - we have done this once before and loved it so much we want to do it again before we find somewhere to live for the rest of the trip.

And now this... I really don't want this to ruin our plans and mean we can't go :(

Does anyone know if it's possible to travel out to NZ on a working holiday visa while pregnant and have baby there? We are both British. I have found some info online about people who get pregnant there on working holiday visa and have been allowed to stay, have baby, but pay for the medical expenses themselves.

Anyway, any advice or suggestions you guys could give would really help me out!!!

Thank you!

Alex

Catchafire Jul 3rd 2011 1:30 am

Re: Working holiday visa while pregnant?

Originally Posted by ladylondon (Post 9470888)
Hi,

I have literally just found out I am pregnant (due March 2012). The problem is my husband and I are giving up work for a year to move to New Zealand in September on a 12 month working holiday visa. We were going to apply at the end of this month (as I have heard it doesn't take very long). We have flights booked and a van booked (and paid for!) for the first 8 weeks to travel around in - we have done this once before and loved it so much we want to do it again before we find somewhere to live for the rest of the trip.

And now this... I really don't want this to ruin our plans and mean we can't go :(

Does anyone know if it's possible to travel out to NZ on a working holiday visa while pregnant and have baby there? We are both British. I have found some info online about people who get pregnant there on working holiday visa and have been allowed to stay, have baby, but pay for the medical expenses themselves.

Anyway, any advice or suggestions you guys could give would really help me out!!!

Thank you!

Alex

Hiya. If you do not mention the fact that you are pregnant, then there should be no problem entering the country.

You will however, have a problem in regards having your baby here, you will not be covered in anyway regarding cost, which can be very very expensive, what would you do if your baby required some post natal care, or if you required intervention during labour ie a cesarian?

Then you will have to get your baby registered and apply for a new passport and I am not sure how that would work with immigration!

So, I do not want to rain on your parade, but having a baby here, whilst on a WHV, is not the smartest thing to do.

Catchafire Jul 3rd 2011 1:33 am

Originally Posted by ladylondon (Post 9470888)

Again I do not want to rain on your parade, but this sort of statement has me worried. You and your partner need to get your head around the fact it is not about you anymore and having a baby is going to change everything.

Scousebird Jul 3rd 2011 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 9471549)
Again I do not want to rain on your parade, but this sort of statement has me worried. You and your partner need to get your head around the fact it is not about you anymore and having a baby is going to change everything.

Ive not long had a baby and the thought of travelling whilst pregnant brings tears to my eyes! I dont do pregnancy very well. You may have a straight forward one but be aware they can be difficult. Sorry to put a downer on it. We were meant to go back earlier but I got pregnant twice so have 2 under 2! But we are taking them with us (obviously!) so they can be apart of the experience. Might be worth putting your plans on hold - only a suggestion. Good luck though.

pricklykina Jul 7th 2011 12:20 pm

hi there and congratulations!
now...there's a difference between getting pregnant here and knowing getting a working holiday visa when you know that you are pregnant I should imagine.

As mentioned before, there is more to having a baby than the birth so you'll be needing to pay for a GP and any tests, scans, plus general antenatal care.
This WILL be expensive as a non resident.
Your child will not be an NZ citizen either so you'll have to organise a british passport for your return in the months after bub is born.

Given that you are young then I guess you have a better chance of a plainsailing pregnancy so that will reduce your costs, but without sounding all judgmental, have you thought about how you will be able to support the baby here? Where you might live etc.

I guess you haven't as this is all really new and exciting right now.
It might be worth considering a shorter holiday and a birth at home in the UK.

Good luck...I know it must seem like your dream is slipping away but you really must look after yourself at the moment.