British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   From Working Holiday Visa to Permanent Residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/working-holiday-visa-permanent-residency-692282/)

Fergie81 Nov 5th 2010 12:47 am

From Working Holiday Visa to Permanent Residency

I'm sure this has been asked before so apologies in advance. I've checked on a few different sites about this and seem to get a different answer every time.

How easy is it to get from arriving in NZ on a 23 month working holiday visa to being granted Permanent Residency?

I don't have either a University degree or qualified trade but have started and ran a number of different businesses since leaving school including one with 30+ employees and a six figure turnover. Unfortunately I couldn't meet the financial requirements for the Investor/Entrepreneur visas so my past experience isn't much of a help.

Is it just a case of completing the WHV, applying for the WH Extension Permit and then once you've been in NZ for over 24 months you just need an offer of any type of employment? (As I'm led to believe is the case in Oz)

Or does completing 24 months in NZ not count towards anything when trying stay permanently?

If it's not possible to do this in NZ is it easier to go down this route to get into Australia long term?

Thanks in advance!

tht Nov 8th 2010 5:28 pm

Re: From Working Holiday Visa to Permanent Residency

Originally Posted by Fergie81 (Post 8962535)
I'm sure this has been asked before so apologies in advance. I've checked on a few different sites about this and seem to get a different answer every time.

How easy is it to get from arriving in NZ on a 23 month working holiday visa to being granted Permanent Residency?

I don't have either a University degree or qualified trade but have started and ran a number of different businesses since leaving school including one with 30+ employees and a six figure turnover. Unfortunately I couldn't meet the financial requirements for the Investor/Entrepreneur visas so my past experience isn't much of a help.

Is it just a case of completing the WHV, applying for the WH Extension Permit and then once you've been in NZ for over 24 months you just need an offer of any type of employment? (As I'm led to believe is the case in Oz)

Or does completing 24 months in NZ not count towards anything when trying stay permanently?

If it's not possible to do this in NZ is it easier to go down this route to get into Australia long term?

Thanks in advance!

There is no WHV to PR path specifically.

I went to NZ in 2004 on a 12 month WHV and got PR, but this was via getting a job offer, and then work visa.

Go online take the EOI calculator, and see how many points you get (if you have enough now you could apply for PR without a WHV). If not look to see if you will be able to get any more points (while you are there on the WHV) the link below shows what you get / can claim:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ointstable.htm

It all depends on your age, years of skilled employment you can PROVE, etc, your time there may get you points 50 points by way of experience or a job offer..

Unless things have changed since I did it, it is not as you suggest, it all still goes based on the points you claim (can prove).

Good luck

tht

celeliza Nov 8th 2010 11:48 pm

Re: From Working Holiday Visa to Permanent Residency

I am currently on a 23-month working holiday and am working on a 12-month contract. I applied for PR not long after I started as I could claim the points for current employment. I'm hoping my job will be extended or be offered permanently. Hopefully I will gain PR.

You could get a job offer while you are on WHV and apply for PR. Hope that helps.