British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   working holiday visa- eligibility. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/working-holiday-visa-eligibility-550647/)

princesshumla Jul 23rd 2008 2:00 am

working holiday visa- eligibility.

Hi everyone,

I'm a regular in the Canada immigration section of this website- but have just recently started looking into taking a one year working holiday in NZ.
Trouble is, i'm British and am in Canada on a work permit (sponsored by employer), but I originally came out on a working holiday visa through Bunac.
When I applied for this, I was under the impression that this visa was a "only once in a lifetime" opportunity, but for Canada.
I.e: you can't extend or apply for another working holiday visa within Canada.
But having looked at the eligibility requirements for the NZ working holiday scheme it says:
"Must not have been approved for a working holiday visa before"
it says "a" working holiday visa.. does that mean for another country? Or just for NZ? Is it possible to get more than one working holiday visa if it's for different countries? It doesn't seem right that it's only one that you can get.

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

Kiwiprincess Jul 23rd 2008 2:04 am

Re: working holiday visa- eligibility.

Originally Posted by princesshumla (Post 6600341)
Hi everyone,

I'm a regular in the Canada immigration section of this website- but have just recently started looking into taking a one year working holiday in NZ.
Trouble is, i'm British and am in Canada on a work permit (sponsored by employer), but I originally came out on a working holiday visa through Bunac.
When I applied for this, I was under the impression that this visa was a "only once in a lifetime" opportunity, but for Canada.
But having looked at the eligibility requirements for the NZ working holiday scheme it says:
it says "a" working holiday visa.. does that mean for another country? Or just for NZ? Is it possible to get more than one working holiday visa if it's for different countries? It doesn't seem right that it's only one that you can get.

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

Don't worry! It just refers to that particular countries WHV, in this case, NZ. The same question is asked on the Australian one (i checked), on the UK one (for us kiwis) and the Irish one. Just the normal question.

howden40 Jul 24th 2008 5:14 am

As far as I understand it means working holiday in NZ.

Best of Luck, any idea of areas

Pauline

princesshumla Jul 24th 2008 5:15 am

We're looking at Tauranga, as a friend of ours is from there- but we're still doing the research! any ideas? :)

Originally Posted by howden40 (Post 6604381)
As far as I understand it means working holiday in NZ.

Best of Luck, any idea of areas

Pauline

newkiwi Jul 24th 2008 9:32 am

Originally Posted by princesshumla (Post 6604382)
We're looking at Tauranga, as a friend of ours is from there- but we're still doing the research! any ideas? :)

Depends what type of work you are looking for. There are a lot more jobs around in Auckland and Wellington, but Tauranga is quite a popular destination

howden40 Jul 24th 2008 9:33 am

Can't fault Tauranga, close to everything, 3 hours drive to ski slopes, 2 hour drive to hot pools and walking distance of beaches.

Pauline

Chippy Giles Jul 28th 2008 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by princesshumla (Post 6600341)
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

Hi yes you can get one its just refers to previous working holiday visas for NZ we did Aus and NZ working holidays no problems - also met people with dual nationalities who had done working holidays in Aus more than once!
Have fun

Giles