British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Working Holiday Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/working-holiday-visa-794618/)

bamboo10 Apr 20th 2013 6:15 pm

Working Holiday Visa

Hi there,

I am hoping to move to NZ in May 2014 we are currently putting things into place. Are we able to go with my husband on a woring holiday visa (he's a carpenter) and apply for residency once he's found a permanent job??
I have had a working holiday visa in the past so am unable to get one again as far as I know so am relying heavily on hubby.

Our plan would be to fly out, land, stay with a relative until we find a place to rent, then find a job and apply for residency . . .is this something we can do??

I'm a bit lost with all the legalities really . . . would be good to get a buddy on here who can answer most of my questions . .

Thanks in advance

escapedtonz Apr 20th 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Working Holiday Visa

Hi,
When you say "Are we able to go with my husband on a working holiday visa"....who is we ?

WHV doesn't allow the holder to bring children along with them.
Also a person wanting to join their partner (who is the holder of a WHV) cannot secure a partner temporary work visa via the family stream on the back of a person who holds a WHV.
As you know you personally cannot hold another WHV as you have had one before so in my opinion you need to come up with a plan B ?

Cheers

Persephone Apr 20th 2013 10:12 pm

escapedtonz has said it all really.

You could come over as visitors for 6m but would not be able to work and any children would not be able to go to school unless you paid international fees. One of the WHV regulations is that you don't bring children with you though so not sure how that would be viewed.

Options:
He finds a job and applies for a work/WTR or residency and you get a visa on the back of his. Then you move over.

You find a job and move over with him on your own visa-negates the point of him applying for a WHV but it is an option.

I can't come up with any more at this point in time...

bamboo10 Apr 21st 2013 5:22 am

'We' is me and my son who will be 18 months old.
I don't plan on working or doing any school stuff until husband is settled.
I would take a 6 month tourist visa and this would cover the baby I presume. My husband would then have a WHV in its own entity for himself?
It's so confusing....

escapedtonz Apr 21st 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by bamboo10 (Post 10670274)
'We' is me and my son who will be 18 months old.
I don't plan on working or doing any school stuff until husband is settled.
I would take a 6 month tourist visa and this would cover the baby I presume. My husband would then have a WHV in its own entity for himself?
It's so confusing....

WHV visa is essentially a way of coming to NZ for a longer holiday period than what is offered with a standard visitor visa and allows the person to work - although not permanent work. To get permanent work you must have another visa type.
The work part is secondary to the visitor part so I see no reason why Immigration wouldn't be happy for you and your baby coming to NZ as visitors whilst your husband is on a WHV.
The only issue I forsee is how your husband moves onto another type of work visa to stay longer with you and the baby also on the application.
i.e. If he applied for Residency he couldn't claim points for having skilled permanent work in NZ or experience of permanent work in NZ as this would breech the terms of the WHV and without the points probablt not total up enough of them to be pulled out of the pool and given ITA.
Similar with the other work visas. Going to be a hard slog.
:blink:
:confused:

Catchafire Apr 21st 2013 6:02 am

Hiya

A WHV your husband is not allowed to have dependant children. So if you go down this route, make sure you stand in separate line at immigration.

Where are you headed, Christchurch? If not, things maybe more difficult.

How many years has your husband worked as a carpenter and does he have any qualifications?

MrsFychan Apr 21st 2013 6:20 am

even though carpenter isn't on the long term or skilled lists it does appear on the Canterbury Skills shortage list. so it might pay you to have a look at the Immigration site and read up on that type of visa

bamboo10 Apr 21st 2013 7:31 am

He is qualified and has nearly 15 years behind him.
I think we'll just apply for a normal points based visa all together
How do we start that process and is a year long enough?

MrsFychan Apr 21st 2013 8:20 am

As I said carpenter doesn't seem to be listed on the Long Term Shortage or the Skilled shortage Lists. but does appear on the Canterbury Skills list. so have a look on the Immigration site as to what to do next, it does seem to just give you a Temp Work Visa though, http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/4551

Trades Carpenter and Joiner (331211) The level of skill required for New Zealand in the Australian and New
Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations

Trades Carpenter (331212) The level of skill required for New Zealand in the Australian and New
Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations AND Licensed Building
Practitioner (LBP) licence to do Restricted Building Work (RBW) within
the scope of the Carpentry Licence Class, EXCEPT IF the work will be
done under the supervision of an appropriately LBP who is licensed to
supervise RBW work done within the scope of a Carpentry Licence Class
OR the duties of the Carpenter will not include RBW

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/7305

Persephone Apr 22nd 2013 2:05 pm

Yes, the CSSL is for temp work visas only.

Does your husband have any qualifications?

For an application as a skilled migrant it is likely that he would need a job offer in order to gain enough points to be selected. Have a look at ANZSCO on the NZIS website to see what is needed for his work to be classed as skilled.
He could certainly gain points for having a permanent job offer in place even if he is on a WHV.

You start a SMC application by assessing your points total first of all. You can submit an EOI if you have 100pts or more BUT this does not guarantee that you will be successful. 140pts or more are an automatic selection at each draw but anything less than that without a job offer may well just sit there for 6m until being withdrawn [especially as carpenters are not on the LTSSL]. No point wasting that money unnecessarily. Assess your points first-from what you have written I suspect he will need a job offer first though.

Another option is a Work to Residence visa: this would require a job offer from an accredited employer with a salary of $55K for a 40hr week