British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Working Holiday Visa ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/working-holiday-visa-585566/)

alice goodwin Jan 19th 2009 9:54 pm

Working Holiday Visa ?

My eldest son (who's nearly 21) is a qualified electrical engineer.:thumbup:

He earns too much money to be classed as our dependent!:huh:

He's only got 95 points - without a job offer - (tried to apply for jobs - but impossible without visa!!):(

So we are in a catch 22 situation (I suppose many of you have come across this!!!):(

Anyway - someone suggested a "working holiday visa" which sounds great for his age group.:cool:

Is it true though that he would have to take a labourers job - & would not be allowed to work as an electrical engineer ?:confused:

This is soooooo confusing - We thought we had it sorted (In my head anyway!):confused::confused:

Please help!!! Love Alice & Alf x

UKNZAUS Jan 20th 2009 1:08 am

Re: Working Holiday Visa ?

Hi Alice

I'm not 100% sure about this so please do not take it as gospel but I feel that if your son did come out to NZ on a WHV, he would find it a bit easier to gain employment. Kiwi's prefer to 'see' the person face to face to show how serious they are in looking for work. Maybe look at getting him a 2yr WHV?

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Michelle

newkiwi Jan 20th 2009 2:40 am

Originally Posted by alice goodwin (Post 7189142)
My eldest son (who's nearly 21) is a qualified electrical engineer.:thumbup:

He earns too much money to be classed as our dependent!:huh:

He's only got 95 points - without a job offer - (tried to apply for jobs - but impossible without visa!!):(

So we are in a catch 22 situation (I suppose many of you have come across this!!!):(

Anyway - someone suggested a "working holiday visa" which sounds great for his age group.:cool:

Is it true though that he would have to take a labourers job - & would not be allowed to work as an electrical engineer ?:confused:

This is soooooo confusing - We thought we had it sorted (In my head anyway!):confused::confused:

Please help!!! Love Alice & Alf x

Are you sure he does not qualify as a dependent. I dont think it has anything to do with what he earns, rather whether he is living with you, how old he is, that he is unmarried etc. So maybe look into exactly what qualifies as a dependent on the NZIS website.

If he does come as a WHV, he can get a 2 year WHV pretty easily. He is not supposed to work for one employer for more than 12 monhs, i dont know how strictly enforced that is. I dont think there is a specific rule as to what work he is / isnt allowed to do;

Once he gets a years' worth of experience and if he has reasonable qualifications he might be able to get a company to sponsor him for a work visa such as a talent visa, or he might even qualify with enough points by that stage to get PR.

So yes a WHV is a good option to get him in the country and working, if you are sure he does not qualify as a dependent.

alice goodwin Jan 20th 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks for your replies !

We were planning getting him 2yr WHV , Then him moving at the same time as us.

Hoping after 6 months or so he could apply for PR , (extra points already working in NZ & living with his family , who have already got PR)

Do you think this would work?:thumbup: Don't want to get in trouble:unsure:

I will look closer into him being classed as a dependent - But we have submitted EOI - & been selected - now waiting for ITA :thumbsup:
Would it now be too late to add him to EOI ?

Thanks again for your help so far ! Alice xxxxxxx

newkiwi Jan 20th 2009 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by alice goodwin (Post 7193098)
Thanks for your replies !

We were planning getting him 2yr WHV , Then him moving at the same time as us.

Hoping after 6 months or so he could apply for PR , (extra points already working in NZ & living with his family , who have already got PR)

Do you think this would work?:thumbup: Don't want to get in trouble:unsure:

I will look closer into him being classed as a dependent - But we have submitted EOI - & been selected - now waiting for ITA :thumbsup:
Would it now be too late to add him to EOI ?

Thanks again for your help so far ! Alice xxxxxxx

Not sure about adding people to your EOI, you should ask your case officer perhaps.
I am not aware of any issues with somebody on a WHV applying for PR if they qualify on their own accord. Will mean he will have to pay for the application again, do medicals and get police clearances again etc but in the scheme of things prob not a big deal.

So your plan of him moving out on a WHV sounds like a good option.