Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Working holiday in Queenstown for a year, lots of questions!

Working holiday in Queenstown for a year, lots of questions!

Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Anton17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working holiday in Queenstown for a year, lots of questions!

Well I've recently decided that I'd like to do this and make a move for Queenstown in January. This leaves me with a lot of work to do, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum! Although I know this is not a backpacking or WHV related forum, I figured it would be a good place to get some answers from people who are doing the real thing - living in NZ - so I hope that some of you may be able to cure some of my qualms.

Before starting this I think it would be a good idea to state I'll be doing all of this alone - I won't be travelling with anyone. I was planning on staying specifically in Queenstown and not really moving around much; I was hoping to take out a long-term rental of an apartment and find some permanent-temporary work (temporary work on an agency but something that's solid enough that I can work at the same place/doing the same thing for my whole stay) to support my living costs. I'd also like to try and attempt to better my chances of applying for residency and I figured getting some experience of living as well as working in the country would be a good way to earn some points for my EOI and aid my decision as to whether I would like to apply for residency.

How plausible is this? After everything is (hopefully) set and booked I'll be looking at having savings of £2000-£3000 in January which is when I wish to enter Queenstown NZ (since I figured January would be a busy period for available jobs, right?). I'd be looking at getting a long-term rental somewhere in the range of $200NZD per week (and have my eye on a couple already). Would I be able to find solid enough work through or without temporary agencies to support my living costs? What other costs would I have to consider? As I said I won't be moving around much I plan to have an experience that is as close to living in Queenstown as I can possibly manage at this stage. What are my chances of executing this plan for 12 months (or more) on my current funds?

Since I'd be on a working holiday visa and I'm a UK resident I can apply for a 23 month stay but on researching it seems I need some medical certificates which may be a pain in the arse to get on a 3-month notice period. Given this, I was looking at simply applying for a 12-month working holiday visa and applying to extend it to 23 months while in NZ if and when applicable. Would this be possible?

Are there any other things I have to consider? I am not overly picky on what work I would be doing during my stay so long as it comfortably supports my living costs but if I want to aid my chances of residency through this working holiday I'd need to try and aim towards doing work that's recognised under the EOI. At the moment I have my high-school grades and a two-year National diploma as my current education and I have experience with working as a musician in a foreign country. How difficult would it be for me to find a job that meets the skilled worker category? In my most ambitious dreams I hope to be able to be offered a permanent contract of employment during my stay so that I may be able to apply for a working visa outside of the working holiday scheme and start building more seriously towards residency. Although I know my chances are slim at this, I'd like to try. Am I thinking too far ahead of myself? Is it a pipe-dream?

That's most of my concern at the moment having not visited NZ before. I plan on staying in a hostel for a week or two on my immediate arrival while scouting for employment and more permanent accommodation to get myself settled in for the year. Is this likely to be difficult or exceed my current funding? My worst fear is finding accommodation in a long-term rental and running out of money within two months.

I apologise for the long-winded post but as you can see this is a big lifestyle choice I plan on making so I have plenty of things buzzing around my head at the moment while I try and prepare for even setting foot in the country! Any and all advice or support is appreciated!
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Anton17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working holiday in Queenstown for a year, lots of questions!

Since no-one has responded should I assume that I've either written too much or that my plan is doomed to fail?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

You might find work related to the rugby world cup, i know when sydney hosted the olympics it created a lot of temp work for backpackers. Not sure about Queenstown tho but worth looking into. Cant say it would help with gaining PR either unless your in skilled work, good luck.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 5:12 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I did what you are talking about in October 2004, I moved to Auckland on a 1 year WHV. In terms of funds, 2-3k seems low. Renting a place you may have to pay a deposit, rent up front etc, also are you planning on buying a car?

When I went I took GBP10k, which was about NZ$30k back then. In-terms of getting PR you will need to find an employer that needs you and your skills. I went from WHV and a temp job, to them getting me a visa (and I used the same letter to get PR by myself).

How old are you now?, if you have a way to go till 30, and if you are really serious about moving to NZ you may want to get some more work experience at home before you make the move. The WHV is a great platform to go over and prove your worth to a employer that wants to sponsor you, but you need to figure out in what, it's unlikely you will get one working in a bar or similar....

Have you done the EOI points calculator online?

If you are serious it is worth doing some research and careful planning.

Good luck, QT is a beautiful place!

tht