British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Work Visas Received! Can we negotiate 'first entry before' date? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-visas-received-can-we-negotiate-first-entry-before-date-795388/)

Larryloo Apr 28th 2013 11:02 am

Work Visas Received! Can we negotiate 'first entry before' date?

Hi

We have received our passports with visas. So excited! The only issue we have is having to make our first entry by 18th July! This is only a problem at the moment as the house hasn't sold yet. If we haven't sold the house by then, I know we could return but that could get very expensive!

Does anyone know if we can negotiate the "first entry before" date?

Also, does anyone have any advice on good flights, airlines where the return date is flexible?

Thanks.

LL xx:confused:

moonie2011 Apr 28th 2013 5:26 pm

Re: Work Visas Received! Can we negotiate 'first entry before' date?

Larryloo, can't help with visa, can't remember where your headed but the cheapest flights to Welly are Qantas, via Dubai & Melbourne

Good luck with the visas we got the same date in ours :fingerscrossed:

Larryloo Apr 28th 2013 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by moonie2011 (Post 10682310)
Larryloo, can't help with visa, can't remember where your headed but the cheapest flights to Welly are Qantas, via Dubai & Melbourne

Good luck with the visas we got the same date in ours :fingerscrossed:

Hi! We're heading to christchurch, cheapest one way flight I've found is £654 each.

Do you know when you'll be heading out?

:thumbsup:

moonie2011 Apr 28th 2013 7:06 pm

Fly 27th may, arrive 29th.
The excitement occasionally creeps in between the apprehension and omg what are we doing! lol

moonie2011 Apr 28th 2013 7:08 pm

Just remembered, if your going chch look into emirates flights, if you open a ANZ bank account you can get double luggage allowance, they only fly into chch & auk :( for us

escapedtonz Apr 28th 2013 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Larryloo (Post 10681915)
Hi

We have received our passports with visas. So excited! The only issue we have is having to make our first entry by 18th July! This is only a problem at the moment as the house hasn't sold yet. If we haven't sold the house by then, I know we could return but that could get very expensive!

Does anyone know if we can negotiate the "first entry before" date?

Also, does anyone have any advice on good flights, airlines where the return date is flexible?

Thanks.

LL xx:confused:

Hi Larryloo,

Congrats on the visa :thumbsup:

I'm fairly sure you can't negotiate the 'first entry before' or more to the point the expiry date of the visa. It's fixed at 3 months from date of issue.

Even if you could, it's hardly Immigration's problem that you haven't sold your house. Not a justifiable reason in their eyes, I would assume :frown:

I'd recommend you maybe forget the house sale for now and look to rent it out long term instead. Even if you got a buyer you'd be pushing it to get through completion in 3 months.
We rent our UK house out long term on a full management scheme which is handled by a local estate agent. Costs 10% of the retal income per month.
I'm glad to say the rent we get covers the mortgage and all the bills with approx 125 quid to spare which we put aside for any maintenance or repairs that are needed.
It's a good alternative to selling and means you can keep a home in the UK for a while, just in case!!!

Regards,

ellenarosemary Apr 28th 2013 11:39 pm

Sorry but my understanding is you cant negotiate the first entry date, its all or nothing - so to speak. Try and work your way around it if you can, its hardly immigrations problem that your house hasnt sold and as such they wouldnt revise the date accordingly.

Try if you can to rent out your house, we have as the house fell through with a week to go, its not ideal, its been rented out for another year now (initially 6 months), and unfortunately the rent doesnt cover the mortgage, but hopefully in a years time the housing market will have picked up and we can sell and move forwards.

Good luck - look at the cheap flights too, they vary not only from airline to airline, but day to day, if you are flexible on dates you can save yourself £'s.

Larryloo Apr 29th 2013 6:54 am

Thanks for all your help and advice! Xx

Larryloo Jun 3rd 2013 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 10682618)
Hi Larryloo,

Congrats on the visa :thumbsup:

I'm fairly sure you can't negotiate the 'first entry before' or more to the point the expiry date of the visa. It's fixed at 3 months from date of issue.

Even if you could, it's hardly Immigration's problem that you haven't sold your house. Not a justifiable reason in their eyes, I would assume :frown:

I'd recommend you maybe forget the house sale for now and look to rent it out long term instead. Even if you got a buyer you'd be pushing it to get through completion in 3 months.
We rent our UK house out long term on a full management scheme which is handled by a local estate agent. Costs 10% of the retal income per month.
I'm glad to say the rent we get covers the mortgage and all the bills with approx 125 quid to spare which we put aside for any maintenance or repairs that are needed.
It's a good alternative to selling and means you can keep a home in the UK for a while, just in case!!!

Regards,

Just an update. If you are in the position we are currently in, you can apply for a 'variation of conditions' to change your 'first entry before' date. :thumbsup:

MrsFychan Jun 4th 2013 2:10 am

that's great news and may help others to know in the future. can you tell us how long you can negotiate for or is it by case to case basis?

moonie2011 Jun 4th 2013 4:03 am

Hi larryloo, any idea when your heading out? :starsmile:

Larryloo Jun 4th 2013 6:57 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10739616)
that's great news and may help others to know in the future. can you tell us how long you can negotiate for or is it by case to case basis?

We haven't applied yet, but I think it costs £50 per visa, and the decision can take up to 1 month.

Once I have been through the process I'll report back.
:fingerscrossed:

Larryloo Jun 4th 2013 6:58 am

Originally Posted by moonie2011 (Post 10739692)
Hi larryloo, any idea when your heading out? :starsmile:

Hi. The OH is heading out in 25 June. I will follow as soon as the house sells. Hopefully not much longer after he goes!

:unsure: