British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Work Visa way to go???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-visa-way-go-833045/)

lipgloss1968 May 5th 2014 12:06 pm

Work Visa way to go????

My partner is going out to NZ in Sept and has several interviews lined up in both Wellington and Auckland (due to lots of family and friends help)
My question is a couple of our friends out there are saying that the rules have changed and that we couldn't apply for residency visa (after EOI selection) unless we were actually in NZ. Is this the case?
Also another plan we had was to OH to secure a job then he applies for a Essential Skills Work Visa (filling out the Employer Supplementary form) me on a partnership visa and the kids on student visas.
If we decide to do this is it best to put all applications in together or OH first then when Work visa secured, then partnership and student one's?
Thanks for any advise on this:)

Persephone May 5th 2014 6:40 pm

Re: Work Visa way to go????

There is no reason why the whole residency process cannot be completed outside NZ. I have not seen any rule change and it wouldn't make sense to run it this way anyway. Many people get their resident visas without being in NZ:)

Be aware when applying for a work visa that if his job is not on any of the skills shortage list or the employer is not approved to employ from overseas then NZIS will run a labour market test. The employer will have to prove that there are no NZers available to do the job.
You can put all the applications in together.
P:)

lipgloss1968 May 12th 2014 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 11247014)
There is no reason why the whole residency process cannot be completed outside NZ. I have not seen any rule change and it wouldn't make sense to run it this way anyway. Many people get their resident visas without being in NZ:)

Be aware when applying for a work visa that if his job is not on any of the skills shortage list or the employer is not approved to employ from overseas then NZIS will run a labour market test. The employer will have to prove that there are no NZers available to do the job.
You can put all the applications in together.
P:)

Thanks for that.
Just another question as we are at 6's and 7's on work visa or residence.
Is it true that shipping companies will not ship goods on an essential skills visa as it classed as temporary?
The thing that is putting us off applying through the EOI route is that it will take longer than a work visa and maybe employers aren't prepared to wait for the visa to come through. Any light shed on this matter is much appreciated

Persephone May 12th 2014 4:39 pm

You can ship everything over. Shipping companies should ship it. You do have to provide proof of residence in NZ to avoid paying customs duty. By residence they mean living in NZ rather than being an actual Resident. A work visa >12 months is acceptable proof. Here: http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...fault.aspx?s=8

As for which visa: it will depend on when an employer wants your partner to start, they may be willing to wait for a SMC application to be processed. You can apply for both SMC and a work visa at the same time. If you want to become residents at some point then you may as well do it asap in case circumstances change:)

lipgloss1968 May 12th 2014 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 11257473)
You can ship everything over. Shipping companies should ship it. You do have to provide proof of residence in NZ to avoid paying customs duty. By residence they mean living in NZ rather than being an actual Resident. A work visa >12 months is acceptable proof. Here: http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...fault.aspx?s=8

As for which visa: it will depend on when an employer wants your partner to start, they may be willing to wait for a SMC application to be processed. You can apply for both SMC and a work visa at the same time. If you want to become residents at some point then you may as well do it asap in case circumstances change:)

That's good news!
So if the employer wanted my OH to start ASAP am I right in saying that I can apply for a partnership based temp visa and the 2 children on student visa? (age 10 and 15)
Also if we haven't sold the house in time would it be possible for my OH to get a work visa and me and the children go out once it is sold, or do the applications for visas have to be put in together?
Thanks again, this is a great site!! :)

BEVS May 12th 2014 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by lipgloss1968 (Post 11257780)
That's good news!
So if the employer wanted my OH to start ASAP am I right in saying that I can apply for a partnership based temp visa and the 2 children on student visa? (age 10 and 15)

Yes.

Also if we haven't sold the house in time would it be possible for my OH to get a work visa and me and the children go out once it is sold, or do the applications for visas have to be put in together?
Thanks again, this is a great site!! :)
Just put the visa applications all in at the same time. It will be fine if you arrive later. I arrived 4 months after my husband had arrived to start work .