Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Work visa under partnership/student visa for children

Work visa under partnership/student visa for children

Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Location: Currently living in the UK, coming to Palmerston North in July 09
callistajm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work visa under partnership/student visa for children

Work visa under partnership and student visa's for the kids - can take 4 weeks to process application from london or can take 50 days in NZ.

Thats what the lady said when my partner called immigration today, she said it would be best to arrive in July under the visitors visa, then if its where we want to reside I should apply for a work visa under partnership and student visa's for the kids. Then as we will be able to live together for a year we can then apply for residence etc etc.

Does this sound right to you guys? I have read so much and understod so little I'm just spinning at the mo It sounds too easy and simple to me, not that I'm complaining but I'm sure theres something more to it?

My fiance isnt much for the letter writing and if you asked him what my favourite colour was he'd be like "I dunno". But what we do have is records probably back to sept last year showing phone calls....i so have 2 parcels (yes only 2 lol) from him dated jan and feb. He may or may not have the stuff I've sent to him as he probs binned in :curse: and I havent sent anything since his birthday in feb....we have skype conversations for everyday dating back to last august and text messages etc. He came here in March and we had our engagement party and then we went to las vegas together to meet his family (handy place to meet up eh! ) there a few emails over the month but thats about it. Photo's wise we have photos of us in with him and the kids in london, me and him from our engagement party, him and the kids at my house, and me and him in vegas and me him and his family in vegas (ironically he was really jetlaged in ALL his pics so looks miserable as sin in all of them lol but were happy! honest! )

Basically thats all th evidence we have, does that sound like enough??

Sorry to add so much but also does anyone have advice on how legal things I need to do with my kids?

My daughters dad has parental rights and shes 12. My sons dad doesnt have parental rights.

As our first trip is for 6 weeks and could be longer do I need to get anything done regarding my daughters dad like his permission? i've not taken either out of the country before on there own so not sure how it stands.

Any help greatly appreciated

Rosalyn x
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Work visa under partnership/student visa for children

Originally Posted by callistajm View Post
Work visa under partnership and student visa's for the kids - can take 4 weeks to process application from london or can take 50 days in NZ.

Thats what the lady said when my partner called immigration today, she said it would be best to arrive in July under the visitors visa, then if its where we want to reside I should apply for a work visa under partnership and student visa's for the kids. Then as we will be able to live together for a year we can then apply for residence etc etc.

Does this sound right to you guys? I have read so much and understod so little I'm just spinning at the mo It sounds too easy and simple to me, not that I'm complaining but I'm sure theres something more to it?

My fiance isnt much for the letter writing and if you asked him what my favourite colour was he'd be like "I dunno". But what we do have is records probably back to sept last year showing phone calls....i so have 2 parcels (yes only 2 lol) from him dated jan and feb. He may or may not have the stuff I've sent to him as he probs binned in :curse: and I havent sent anything since his birthday in feb....we have skype conversations for everyday dating back to last august and text messages etc. He came here in March and we had our engagement party and then we went to las vegas together to meet his family (handy place to meet up eh! ) there a few emails over the month but thats about it. Photo's wise we have photos of us in with him and the kids in london, me and him from our engagement party, him and the kids at my house, and me and him in vegas and me him and his family in vegas (ironically he was really jetlaged in ALL his pics so looks miserable as sin in all of them lol but were happy! honest! )

Basically thats all th evidence we have, does that sound like enough??

Sorry to add so much but also does anyone have advice on how legal things I need to do with my kids?

My daughters dad has parental rights and shes 12. My sons dad doesnt have parental rights.

As our first trip is for 6 weeks and could be longer do I need to get anything done regarding my daughters dad like his permission? i've not taken either out of the country before on there own so not sure how it stands.

Any help greatly appreciated

Rosalyn x
i cant answer all the questions, but when you arrive in NZ on a tourist visa you have to have a return ticket, so bear that in mind. Also, read up on NZIS website to see if you do submit an application for a work permit based on a partnership what the requirements are.
Are you sure you will not be successful applying in the UK? You sound like you do have a lot of information that shows you are in a real and stable relationship. Setting a date for marriage and actually having some bookings etc might not hurt either..lol

If you do get to NZ and then apply here you will still need to convince NZIS it snt a scam for you to get into NZ. Juat see what evidence may be required, maybe somebody else on the forum has gone through it

As far as the kids go, you do need permission from either the father or the courts if you want to move the kids out to nz. That is something to consider as well, I would not leave for NZ on a tourist visit if you dont have the legalities sorted round taking the kids out of the UK. Potentially you could get it sorted while your getting your application together in nz but i would say you should have all that sorted our before you leave for nz on a tourist visit if thats what you decide to do.

Last edited by newkiwi; Apr 24th 2009 at 3:06 am.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:14 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosalyn

I presume you've read and re read the NZIS website, it's a bit of a maze
Family stream

Form for partners supporting
partnership-based temporary entry applications

I don't know a lot about this visa but it looks like it could be your best option. I don't know how much evidence you'd have to provide for this, as much as possible is usually a good target! You could live together for a year and then apply for PR. Keep everything that proves you live together right from the start, anything at all even if it is only addressed to you eg good luck cards and letters. It shows where you live
Newkiwi is right in that if you go over on a visitor visa then you will have to have a ticket out of NZ. They will not even allow you on the plane in the UK if you haven't and they do check. Some people on here have got round that by buying a cheap ticket to Aus and then binning it.
Also you need to sort out whether your daughter's father will allow you to take her there. There is an ongoing thread in the main forum about this which may be worth having a look at. Don't let it scare you too much, only you know whether it will be a problem but worth starting to look at the options there and the possible pitfalls.
Step Children

All the best
Sue
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:43 am
Just Joined

MissusMo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, Rosalyn,

Good luck with the move - I'm no legal expert but I think you would need to have all the children's legal papers in order before you try to bring them over here.

If all goes well with that, as someone has already pointed out, do keep EVERYTHING on paper, email, etc. relating to your relationship with your partner.

I came here on a tourist visa and then applied for permanent residency under the family rule, as I was marrying a Kiwi.

We had to supply something like 50 emails (all had to be printed out) plus copies of bills, etc. in our joint names and sent to our home address. I was also requested to send things like personal notes from my elderly in-laws, and personal emails from my husband's friends and family here. On top of that, I sent four letters specifically written to the NZIS from family and friends, endorsing my request for PR, which was finally granted after I had been here in NZ for 4 years, and it was all a bit of a nightmare.

All's good now, so I hope that hasn't put you off!

Mo
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

pastyfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rosalyn,

I agree with Sue R, you should move over on a working holiday scheme, collect more evidence of joint address (maybe open a joint bank account), then apply for PR. The evidence you have now should be enough, but the move would set it in stone. You don't essentially NEED a return flight, as long as you can prove you have the funds to buy one whilst you're there! You can also apply for a two year WHV, but you'll need medicals (which you'll have to have for your PR application anyway). Me and my partner have done the same, whilst she'e over here on an extended WHV, I have applied for PR for NZ (granted!) and am off after the summer in Oct. It was a bit of a mission, but I recieved my reply within 5 weeks! I also provided plenty of evidence of our relationship, and covered anything that would cause them to ask any questions. Their website is really helpful. Sorry, but can't be helpful to you with the kids issue, but hope the rest was.

Cheers,

Greg
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosalyn, I'd go with the other guys here, you MUST get permission from your daughters dad. Without it you run the risk of him seeking for her repatriation. Get yourself an initial interview with a Family Law Solicitor, generally they do a free half hour (and talk quick!). It's not worth getting it wrong I'm not sure where you stand with your sons dad, again seek legal advice.
The Stepchildren thread is long, but it'll give you a lot of good tips,
Good luck, keep us updated,
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys.....Its all getting a little scary I must admit. I cant find a work visa under partnership form so figure the form above must be what she meant.... I don't know anything about medicals etc. Now things like disabilities wouldnt stop my son getting in would it? He is diagnosed with Autism but we have no other medical issues.

I think I might need a drink! Vodka and redbull may work lmao!

Rosalyn x
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:07 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I'll try and direct you to the section
Go onto the home page of the NZIS website, click on "family categories". Under the "Family temporary entry" part click on "Visit NZ under partners of NZ residents and/or citizens policy"
Scroll down to "partners of NZ residents and citizens" and the form is there.

Alternatively under the "Family temp entry" part click on"Work in NZ under partners of NZ residents or citizens policy" It takes you to the same form but via a section about living together. So may be more useful

I agree with Sue R, you should move over on a working holiday scheme, collect more evidence of joint address (maybe open a joint bank account), then apply for PR. The evidence you have now should be enough, but the move would set it in stone. You don't essentially NEED a return flight, as long as you can prove you have the funds to buy one whilst you're there! You can also apply for a two year WHV, but you'll need medicals (which you'll have to have for your PR application anyway). .
To apply for a Working Holiday Visa you have to be between 18 and 30 years old unfortunately

The NZIS website says the following about not having a return ticket
Proof that you plan to leave New Zealand
You will need to show us proof that you have plans and the means to leave within the period of your permit. Suitable proof may include:

actual travel tickets (confirmed or open-dated) out of New Zealand to a country which you have the right to enter; or
written confirmation from an airline or travel agency that onward travel has been booked and paid for.

Evidence of funds
You will also need to show us proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay. This means you have a minimum of:
NZ$1000 per person per month of the visit, or
NZ$400 per person per month if accommodation has already been paid for – we will require proof of prepayment, such as hotel prepaid vouchers.

Acceptable evidence of sufficient funds can be demonstrated in the form of:
cash
travellers' cheques
bank drafts
recognised credit cards with sufficient credit available – it is recommended that visitors have an up-to-date credit card statement.

Other acceptable evidence is a declaration by a New Zealand sponsor that they will pay for your accommodation and maintenance. See the Sponsorship Form for Visiting New Zealand (NZIS 1025) PDF.
I'd be a bit worried about risking a flight into NZ without a ticket out given the above. What if you get to Heathrow and they refuse you? I went to NZ on a visitor visa last year, went to Aus for a week and they insisted on seeing my ticket out of NZ before I could get through check in at Sydney [remembered it as I was walking out the door in NZ!], same happened at Heathrow .Maybe it is different if you're on a WHV due to the length of time it lasts??
Hope I haven't confused you any more
Sue
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue R View Post
Hope I haven't confused you any more
Sue
No you haven't Everyone has been really great! I know I sem panicky and nutty But I just dont want to get over there and have to come back and them go back again etc.

Its only 12 weeks till I go..I am so excited! I really hope I like it now haha...better after all the effort lol

Rosalyn xx
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:32 am
Queen of the Underworld

Hi
Good luck with getting everything sorted. Send me a PM if you want to ask anything. Funny, I came here to be with a kiwi as well
Sue