Work Visa then Skilled worker Visa

Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:21 am
Just Joined

gandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Work Visa then Skilled worker Visa

Hi there,

I am trying to find the best course of action with regards to visas and working in NZ.

I have just taken voluntary redundancy and want to make sure i can get out to NZ as soon as possible to start finding work.I intend to work as a contractor in ICT.

With Skilled migrant visa, can i move to NZ without any job offer? it seems that for the work to residence that i need a full time job offer. Would contracting be valid as full time work?

Also could i get a temp work visa and then apply for the skilled migrant once i have secured work?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:45 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Visa then Skilled worker Visa

for a temp work visa you need a job but once you have secured one you can then see if that would allow you to gain PR.

Have you filled in the EOI points indicator to see what points you come out with?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:12 am
Just Joined

gandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant future

I have filled out the EOI point indicator and i have 180 points. This is above the 140 points that would allow me to be automatically selected.

As a skilled migrant would i need to have a job offer? i know i would for a temp work visa.

What attracts me the the temp work visa is that i can be processed faster and also i much cheaper. but as you say i would need a job offer before i apply, which seems difficult as the communication with agencies seems that employees are not willing to commit until they know that i will be moving there, catch 22!

one thought was to go over there on a holiday visa and look for work and atend interviews etc, but i dont think a holiday visa allows me to look for work.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:15 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you are correct a holiday visa does not allow you to look for work but lots do it you just need to be careful at the airports, no paper copies of CV etc.

your points seem quite high for not having a job offer can you give a break down?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Not sure what the breakdown is because it only gives me the final score, but here are the details i in-putted:

Yes to my skills are identified in both future growth areas and absolute skills shortage.

yes to recognised qualification of level 7 or 8

yes to recognised qualification 9 or 10

yes to qualification in both future growth areas and absolute skills shortage.

Years experience in these fields 10 years

age 34

partner is qualified to level 7 and English speaking
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:05 pm

I get you at 130 points

unless you added scores for having a job offer?

also when you fill the EOI in you can only claim for one qualification and it has to come from a recognised university so you do need to check that out also
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gandeandboys
Not sure what the breakdown is because it only gives me the final score, but here are the details i in-putted:

Yes to my skills are identified in both future growth areas and absolute skills shortage.

yes to recognised qualification of level 7 or 8

yes to recognised qualification 9 or 10

yes to qualification in both future growth areas and absolute skills shortage.

Years experience in these fields 10 years

age 34

partner is qualified to level 7 and English speaking
Hi,

Without a job offer in NZ you cannot claim any points from the section labelled "Skilled Employment".

You can only claim for the points for one qualification. This will usually be the one that gives you the highest equivalent level.
The qualification and awarding body must be on the exempt from assessment list or you must have the qualification assessed by NZQA (either PAR or IQA) before you submit EOI.

If you are claiming for a skill shortage off the LTSSL you must meet the requirements exactly.
I.e. if for example you are claiming the role of ICT Manager off the LTSSL and it says you should hold a Bachelors Degree in associated study then your qualification claimed must match this exactly. If you claim for a Masters in associated study you don't meet the criteria even though that degree may be better or higher quality or at a higher equivalent level.

To claim for qualification in area of absolute skill shortage see paragraph above.

To claim for qualification in future growth area it must be from a comparable labour market - see the ops manual and the associated country list.

Make sure you have done over 10 years if you are claiming 10 years and you must be able to provide proof of this experience later in the process if you get through so you'll need letters from employers on company headed paper signed by a manager or higher authority.

Last edited by escapedtonz; Sep 18th 2013 at 9:19 am.