Work Visa or Residency Visa

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Karorian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Visa or Residency Visa

Hello :-)

New to the site, but have a couple of broad questions:

I was intending to apply for SMC residency visa from the UK, as I have a job offer for a job listed on the LTSSL (open for 3 months).

However, I've just spoken to an immigration adviser and he says he thinks it best to get a work visa first, then apply for residency once I'm in NZ.

Does this make sense? I realise I wont get the same benefits on a work visa vs residency.

Any advice welcome

Karorian
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 5:43 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Visa or Residency Visa

hi, What do you mean "open for 3 months"
Have you filled out an EOI or even looked at what points you get from the Immigrations website??
If you get the SMC visa it will give you PR so have no idea what the advisor is talking about.
If the employer is not happy to wait the time it will take to get a visa you could apply for a temp work visa but that will cost you more money in the long run
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Karorian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks for your reply.

I have completed the EOI online, but not submitted as yet, as I only got my job offer in writing (via e-mail) today.

I've missed the selection for this fortnight.

The job offer states 'We would be prepared to hold this position for you for three months'.

The reason I contacted the immigration advisor is that I need state registration for my job, and have been offered an examination assessment as they didnt recognise my UK qualification. I therefore have to practice for 3 months then get board approval by examination. I wanted help with whether this would be a big problem etc, but he advises to get a work visa, get to NZ, then apply for residency. He reckons it will take 3 months at least to get permanent residency, but then I need to give 2 months notice at work, so my job offer would be invalid!

Id rather go as permanent resident.

Karorian.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:09 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome,
I would agree with your advisor. It will take too long to get residency if you need to start work in 3mth, therefore getting a work visa to get you started in time is a good idea. You can apply for more than one visa at once!

Another point is this: you need registration but cannot get fully registered until you have worked for 3mth. Often NZIS will not offer residency straight off for those applicants as registration is an essential part of being able to do the job. These applicants often get a Jobsearch visa. You get a work visa which lasts for 9 mth once you enter NZ, once you have registration, you convert to residency. So there will always be another step to go through...

Off the top of my head pharmacists and electricians are the two that commonly have this issue ie they have a job offer but cannot register until having worked, hence they never get residency, always a job search visa.
If you wait and send back your ITA with full registration you should get residency straight away

Last edited by Persephone; Apr 2nd 2014 at 7:11 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:16 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as Persephone says if you need to get out there in 3 months then a temp work visa is the way to go and then apply for PR off the back of that. That is what my husband did as the Company needed him to start immediately. Even with the job offer and husband already working on the temp work visa our PR visa still took over 3mths to complete