British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   work visa/permits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-visa-permits-506545/)

clairebeatty Jan 15th 2008 9:59 pm

work visa/permits

does anyone know how i can obtain my visa at the same time my husband is applying for a work visa/permit, (i am not working at the mo and have no job offers lined up).

happynz Jan 15th 2008 10:26 pm

Re: work visa/permits

Originally Posted by clairebeatty (Post 5793576)
does anyone know how i can obtain my visa at the same time my husband is applying for a work visa/permit, (i am not working at the mo and have no job offers lined up).

If your husband gets a temporary work permit he will be 'tied' to that particular employer. After supplying evidence to NZIS that you are in a stable and genuine relationship of longer than twelve months (see other threads for how to go about that) you will be given an open work visa/permit valid for the same length of time as your husband's allowing you to work at whatever for whomever, or not working at all if that is your choice.

The work visa form should suffice along with the supporting evidence of your husband's job offer, relationship details, etc.

We last did it that way three years ago when we applied for what was to be our final work permit extension. I hope I am remembering correctly that is how it is done.

Good luck.

clairebeatty Jan 15th 2008 10:39 pm

hi, we know about my husband being tied down to his job, which isnt a problem,
the forms for working visa/permit dont have anything to fill out for the family ie myself and our son whos 13mths, is there another form we need to fill out?

happynz Jan 15th 2008 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by clairebeatty (Post 5793751)
the forms for working visa/permit dont have anything to fill out for the family ie myself and our son whos 13mths, is there another form we need to fill out?

I think you need to fill in your own work permit form. As for your 13 month old, I believe he would get a visitor permit valid for the length of his Dad's work permit.

I see that you are in Albany. That's on the North Shore, right? Is there an NZIS office there or is the only one around that one on Queen Street in Central Auckland? Really, if you can, get thee to an information counter of an NZIS office and they will be able to sort you out. The people that staff the counter in Christchurch NZIS were always helpful when I got stuck.

newkiwi Jan 17th 2008 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by clairebeatty (Post 5793751)

you fill out your own WP application form, and fill out the "Family - partner of NZ Work Permit Holder" bit.
You can both submit your forms at the same time, thats what we did, you dont need for his WP to be actually approved before you submit yours.

clairebeatty Jan 29th 2008 12:23 am

work permits are handed in after filling out so many different forms, everytime i phoned nzis they told me i'd done the wrong forms, but hopefully the ones i have handed in are correct and should have permits within 30 days, thanks for everyones responses they were really helpfull x x:)