Work Visa/Permit - Applying in UK or NZ

Old May 18th 2009, 10:56 am
Just Joined

SimonAndCo will become famous soon enough
Default Work Visa/Permit - Applying in UK or NZ

Hi,

I'm hoping there's someone out that that can maybe offer the benefit of first-hand experience.

If whilst visiting NZ you received a job offer, with which your EOI would exceed 140 points, but the employer wanted you ASAP and therefore you were going to apply for a temporary work visa/permit in the interim, would there be any significant benefit in terms of processing time if you submitted the application whilst in NZ as opposed to coming straight back to the UK and submitting it there? (let's assume you would need to come back at some point to collect family etc.)

The downside as I see it is that you could end up playing a waiting game in NZ, unable to do anything constructive but equally unable to get back to the UK (where you could maybe go back to work whilst waiting for your visa) because you had submitted your passport with the visa application.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether there is a significant justification, based on processing time, for an employer to strongly prefer you to submit the application in NZ.

Hope I'm making sense - really grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Simon