work visa info please!

Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Rosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really nice
Default work visa info please!

Hi All

I've been reading this forum for some time but this is the first time I've posted here so here goes! My OH has a job offer from an NZ company and is due to start around the end of September ish, although they will hold it open for him beyond this point. This offer was unexpected and we have not put in an EOI but will now apply for a work visa. When applying is it only his documentation i.e police check and medical that is required in the first instance or do I need to provide the same for myself and a medical for our kid aged 6? When filling in the form what do we say about length of visa required? We hope this will be a permanent move and have the EOI nearly ready to go, documents verified etc. Thanks for any advice you can give, sorry to sound so serious but as you all know this is the really busy bit selling house etc.

All the best, Rosiebear
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:14 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: work visa info please!

Originally Posted by Rosiebear View Post
Hi All

I've been reading this forum for some time but this is the first time I've posted here so here goes! My OH has a job offer from an NZ company and is due to start around the end of September ish, although they will hold it open for him beyond this point. This offer was unexpected and we have not put in an EOI but will now apply for a work visa. When applying is it only his documentation i.e police check and medical that is required in the first instance or do I need to provide the same for myself and a medical for our kid aged 6? When filling in the form what do we say about length of visa required? We hope this will be a permanent move and have the EOI nearly ready to go, documents verified etc. Thanks for any advice you can give, sorry to sound so serious but as you all know this is the really busy bit selling house etc.

All the best, Rosiebear
Howzit Rosiebear:

You can come on a work visa without the police clearances and medicals if the work offer is for one year or less. If the offer is for over a year you will need the police clearances and medicals.

If you decide to get the medicals and police clearances all three of you will have to have medicals. However the six year old is exempt from having the x-ray and blood tests. You and the OH will get filmed and poked. Your six year old will also not need a police check.

At any rate, whatever path you choose I think you ought to go ahead and get your police clearances. They will be valid for six months.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Rosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really nice

Many thanks for the reply. Is it possible to just apply for a visa for less than a year and have the medicals done in NZ? We have heard that it costs a lot less to have them done there, we already have the police checks. If we lodge the EOI once we get to NZ at least the process will have begun hopefully!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:56 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rosiebear View Post
Many thanks for the reply. Is it possible to just apply for a visa for less than a year and have the medicals done in NZ? We have heard that it costs a lot less to have them done there, we already have the police checks. If we lodge the EOI once we get to NZ at least the process will have begun hopefully!
Yes, you can do that.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:29 am
Just Joined

braithers will become famous soon enoughbraithers will become famous soon enough

Just to back up what HappyNZ has said as I am in a similar situation (I am assuming your husband's job offer isn't for 12 months or less).

I was hoping to apply for a 12 month visa but NZIS came back to me and said that as my job offer is permanent and therefore my intention on arriving into NZ is to stay for more than 12 months they won't issue a 12 month visa.

Instead I now have to apply for a 24 month visa meaning I have to have the full medical and police check.

This is from the email they sent me:

A4.25 Medical certificates: temporary entry applications
a: Applications for temporary entry visas and permits from applicants intending a stay in New Zealand of more than 12 months must include a fully completed Medical and Chest X-Ray.

If at the time of application if it is your intention to reside in New Zealand for a period of longer than 24 months a full medical and police certificate are required.

From the correspndence I have had from NZIS I think the emphasis is on what your intention is when you arrive in New Zealand.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your replies, we will fall into the category who need the full monty so will have to cough up (!) for the medicals here. We already have the police reports. NZIS in London are processing work visa applications in around two weeks so we will get the ball rolling asap on that one. Hopefully someone will buy beige house soon.....! Thanks once again to all.

Rosiebear