Work Visa Application Advice

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

braithers will become famous soon enoughbraithers will become famous soon enough
Default Work Visa Application Advice

Hi All,

I have recently submitted my documents to NZIS in London to apply for a 12 months work visa. I am leaving the UK at the end of September to go travelling and I arrve in NZ and start work there at the end of January 2008.

My plan was to apply for a 12 month work visa to avoid having medicals and police checks done at this stage to save time and then apply for residency once I got to NZ and have the medical and x-ray done then.

NZIS have now contacted me saying that if it is my intention to reside in New Zealand for a period of longer than 24 months a full medical and police certificate is required. I guess they are basing this on the fact that my job offer is permanent as opposed to a 12 month contract?

I am not trying to avoid having a medical as I was going to do that in NZ it was more about the time scale that I have before I leave the UK.

I guess my question is am I missing something here or will I just have to bite the bullet and submit an application for a 24 months work visa and hope the police checks come through before the end of September? NZIS have said they will process my application within a day of receiving these documents.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:04 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Work Visa Application Advice

Since you have already submitted paperwork to NZIS you might as well get the medical report and police cert. You would need to pull finger and start the ball rolling tout suite (as in pretty damn quick).

If that doesn't fit your plans, perhaps you could enter New Zealand as a visitor in January 2008 and then start your paperwork in-country.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

braithers will become famous soon enoughbraithers will become famous soon enough

Cheers for the reply. I am going to call into the police station in the morning so should get the police certificate back by the end of August begining of Sept.

I finish work on Friday so I have time to get my medical and x-ray done.

I guess I was hoping not to have to do all this until I got to New Zealand. Still at least it will be done and out of the way.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by braithers
Cheers for the reply. I am going to call into the police station in the morning so should get the police certificate back by the end of August begining of Sept.

I finish work on Friday so I have time to get my medical and x-ray done.

I guess I was hoping not to have to do all this until I got to New Zealand. Still at least it will be done and out of the way.
Well sort of...as in if you are only applying for a temporary work visa now and then looking to make it permanent you will have to have another medical and police checks done when you are in NZ for your residency.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Now I am confused as that contradicts what NZIS have told me. This is what I was sent in an email from them.

"If you choose to apply for residency whilst in New Zealand the medicals and police certificate you submit for your temp entry application are acceptable; further certificates will not be required, given you apply for residency within a period of 24 months from date of your temp entry application"

Have they misinformed me?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by braithers
Now I am confused as that contradicts what NZIS have told me. This is what I was sent in an email from them.

"If you choose to apply for residency whilst in New Zealand the medicals and police certificate you submit for your temp entry application are acceptable; further certificates will not be required, given you apply for residency within a period of 24 months from date of your temp entry application"

Have they misinformed me?
We came in on work visas that were for 3 years have been here nearly a year and are applying for PR as such we have been told we need a new police cert as the originals are only valid for 6 months and new meds done as they are only valid for 3 months...just received our ITA this week telling us all this so seems a bit odd really!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that Phil. TBH what you have said is what I have always understood to be the case with applying for PR. As you say the medical and police certificate is only valid for a certain amount of time.

I will query it with NZIS and see what they say.