British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   work visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-visa-788211/)

scottishstacey Feb 21st 2013 5:50 pm

work visa

Quick question - if you go through a agency to find a employer and the offer isn't 55k based on a 40 hour week does that mean you won't be allowed PR?

scottishstacey Feb 21st 2013 5:50 pm

Re: work visa

Oops should be in immi bit, feel free to move it mods

BEVS Feb 21st 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by scottishstacey (Post 10560017)
Quick question - if you go through a agency to find a employer and the offer isn't 55k based on a 40 hour week does that mean you won't be allowed PR?

It means that you can't go for Work to Residence. Work to REsidence means you stay with the same employer for 2 years earning the $55K and then apply for Residency.

You can apply for a temporary work visa. If the pay then went to $55K you could then start a WTR.

scottishstacey Feb 21st 2013 7:40 pm

Thats what i thought. Dave had a phone call from a company earlier while he was at work, a place called number 8. They are a agency (again!) But have offices in london too. They rang for a chat and said that the wages that are offered for daves job are usually around the £13 mark. As you already know - the agency last time was less than this but they had said it would go up (yeah right)

So not enough for residency then

BEVS Feb 21st 2013 10:45 pm

Is that an hourly rate ?

For WTR it works out at $26.50 NZD per hour.
At todays rate of exchange it would be GBP 14.52. To be safe a bit more than that.

scottishstacey Feb 22nd 2013 6:28 am

Yes per hour. My maths was naff as usual because i had worked it out as needing 28ph. That was with a calculator too lol.

They had asked if he was looking to move permanently or just to try it out

northeastlad Feb 28th 2013 2:59 pm

Sorry to butt in, but: to qualify for a WTR visa, you need to make more than $55k/pa? I never knew that... I thought you just had to have the job for more than 2 years? :unsure:

I have a contact (not an agency, but friend of a friend) getting in touch with some of her mates in NZ and only one of the jobs she's found (supervisor for DIY store) comes over the $55k/pa mark. Even then, I'm reaching well above myself for it. The others she found was a travel job for $35k/pa; does all this mean if I took that latter job that I'd only be allowed to work in NZ temporarily?

Worth noting: I've already used up my Working Holiday Visa (but I had to come home early).

Again, sorry to hijack the thread just this has thrown a spanner into the works (or could have).

scottishstacey Feb 28th 2013 3:36 pm

Dont be daft, your not hijacking - i dont mind anyway.

Im not sure but by the sounds of it you might always be temp, bevs will know

Persephone Feb 28th 2013 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by northeastlad (Post 10575493)
Sorry to butt in, but: to qualify for a WTR visa, you need to make more than $55k/pa? I never knew that... I thought you just had to have the job for more than 2 years? :unsure:

I have a contact (not an agency, but friend of a friend) getting in touch with some of her mates in NZ and only one of the jobs she's found (supervisor for DIY store) comes over the $55k/pa mark. Even then, I'm reaching well above myself for it. The others she found was a travel job for $35k/pa; does all this mean if I took that latter job that I'd only be allowed to work in NZ temporarily?
).

For a WTR visa you apply for this right from the start, before you start working. You are issued with a work visa and once you have worked for two years you can convert this to residence.

You must earn above $55K pa. Your job offer also has to fit into one of the following categories of WTR visa:

1 Job is on the LTSSL
2 Job is for an accredited employer, or
3 People with recognised talents and abilities in the arts, culture or sports fields

does this help?:)

northeastlad Feb 28th 2013 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10575603)
For a WTR visa you apply for this right from the start, before you start working. You are issued with a work visa and once you have worked for two years you can convert this to residence.

You must earn above $55K pa. Your job offer also has to fit into one of the following categories of WTR visa:

1 Job is on the LTSSL
2 Job is for an accredited employer, or
3 People with recognised talents and abilities in the arts, culture or sports fields

does this help?:)

Yeah, I mean all information I get is a great help, so thank you!

I'm only in the very early days of all of this so I'm not 100% clued up (indeed, I came across BE as part of my research). It's a little bit of a spanner in the works, I'll admit, but hey - it clues me up!

So, if - theoretically - I got a job offer and took it up and got through the immigration stuff, would I get a temporary working visa or a WTR? I'm a little confused... :unsure: Secondly: visa stuff aside, if the job offer I got was from an accredited employer but wasn't over $55k/pa, what would happen? :unsure: x2

Persephone Feb 28th 2013 5:18 pm

You apply for both a work visa and a WTR visa on the same form but tick separate boxes. You decide which visa to apply for and it will be assessed depending on what you apply for. The requirements are different for each type of visa.

If the job offer was from an accredited employer but did not fit the salary requirements then you could not apply for that WTR visa.
But:

Interestingly I've just had a look at the operational manual and there is no mention of a salary requirement for the LTSSL WTR stream. It is only mentioned under the Accredited employer stream.
I think this has changed as I'm sure the $55K salary was required for both LTSSL and accredited visas:confused:

scottishstacey Feb 28th 2013 5:22 pm

So the job offer has to be over 55k and based on a 40 hour week right? We were just short of it last time. They said the wage was that amount just as a trial.. But the contract didnt say this. So we didnt sign it

Persephone Feb 28th 2013 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by scottishstacey (Post 10575751)
So the job offer has to be over 55k and based on a 40 hour week right? We were just short of it last time. They said the wage was that amount just as a trial.. But the contract didnt say this. So we didnt sign it

It mentions the $55K being necessary for the Accredited employers WTR visa but not under the LTSSL WTR visa. Must admit I hadn't seen that before and thought it was for all. Will have another look to double check

scottishstacey Feb 28th 2013 6:25 pm

Is the LTSSL the skilled list? I think the accreditated option is the only one we can use.

Am i right in saying that if the job offer has to be based on a 40 hour week then the hourly wage would have to be around 30ph or just under. My maths is seriously awful lol

Persephone Feb 28th 2013 6:41 pm

LTSSL is the Long Term Skills Shortage List, correct!

Annual salary of at least $55,000. The job must be full time [at least 30hr/week]

Where an employee is to work more than 40 hours per week, the minimum base salary must be calculated on the basis of 40 hours work per week.
So if working 40 or more hours per week then this works out as a minimum hourly rate of $26.44
55,000/(40x52)

If your offer was for a 30 hour week then you'd have to be on $35.26 per hour