British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Work to Residency visa question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-residency-visa-question-782025/)

Pom_Chch Dec 31st 2012 11:07 pm

Work to Residency visa question

Hi everyone,

I would very much appreciate some help with a WTR question in regards to the application. My OH has been offered a job by an immigration accredited company and is in the process of applying for a talent via an accredited company. One of the paperwork requirements is proof of previous employment but the examples are a little vague. Immigration are talking of contracts, payslips etc but he left this particular job 6 years ago and has non of this info. Has anyone applied for this type of visa and know of what paperwork is acceptable? Another forum suggests bank statements proving payment from the company but I'm not sure this is good enough as it doesn't specify what his role was within the company etc.

Many thanks and happy new year!

MrsFychan Jan 1st 2013 12:28 am

Re: Work to Residency visa question

has he seriously not kept any of this?

Does he have tax statements for those years. ?

He will probably need a Reference from the Company to outline the job description, what hours where worked, how long with the Company and basic information for any new job Reference outlined on it.

madao Jan 1st 2013 1:42 am

Although I didn't go down the work to residence route I certainly had to provide references or at least a certificate of service for several previous roles.

Some companies wouldn't give a reference direct to me and would only provide the cert of service. Some sent me copies of the job description which helped prove my previous roles matched the skill requirement I was applying under. I was relying on previous work experience rather than a formal qualification.

It was a hassle finding contact info for various Hr departments as i only had my previous 2 employers on my CV. it also took some badgering to speak to people who would actually help with my requests as Emails often went unanswered. As i was already in Nz it meant some late nights and early mornings on Skype trying to get hold of a real person in the UK.

Although I got info from all my employers over the past 10 years I only had to give enough evidence in the end for a certain number of years in the type of role during that time.

chippy64 Jan 1st 2013 3:06 am

When my husband applied under the Skilled Migrant visa, he didn't have references from all of the companies he worked for. Some of them no longer existed but our case officer just said to do what we could!

Pom_Chch Jan 1st 2013 10:40 am

Thank you all for your replies.

The other issue is that we are pushed for time. The OH got offered the job mid December and what with Christmas and New year references from HR have been delayed. Our flight out to NZ is on 21st Jan and we are still reference-less! He can prove work experience from 2 out of his 3 jobs (tax form and contract), it's just the one from 6 years ago. By the time this company reply with a reference it could be too late so I was wondering if there could be anything else or if they are strict with what you can provide as proof. And what with having to hand in his passport with the visa application it may not be back in time for the flight. We called immigration but got mostly unhelpful replies and the advice wasn't clear cut.

I think what we'll have to do is sort it in NZ. The OH already has a working holiday visa so he can work on that until the WTR comes through. It would be good to sort before, but I think we'll have to go with that.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

MrsFychan Jan 1st 2013 7:50 pm

I think it depends on the CO as to how much/little they will accept.
Also we didn't send our passports in, when things got approved we asked for the case to be transferred over to the nearest NZ Immigration office for the visa's to be stamped in.

simonsi Jan 2nd 2013 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 10458057)
Our flight out to NZ is on 21st Jan and we are still reference-less!

Errr - was that wise? NZIS always advise not to book until you have the visa....

MrsFychan Jan 2nd 2013 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 10458057)
Th Our flight out to NZ is on 21st Jan and we are still reference-less!
I think what we'll have to do is sort it in NZ. The OH already has a working holiday visa so he can work on that until the WTR comes through. It would be good to sort before, but I think we'll have to go with that.
Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Do you have a return flight? sure OH won't have a problem coming in as he has a visa allowing him to stay but if you don't have a visa in your passport they may not allow you in, if you haven't it might be worth purchasing an onward flight to Australia for 6mths after you arrive. (unless of course I have missed something and you do have a valid visa)

Myself and the kids had return flights booked (approval was not gained before we left) as we always intended to come back at the 6mth mark as my eldest was having his 21st.

*had a quick look through posts, so you both have WHV?

Pom_Chch Jan 2nd 2013 10:13 am

Sorry, let me clear up the confusion!

The OH and I both have valid WHV's so there will be no issues with getting in and staying in NZ for the duration of those visas. We both have the financial requirements in our bank account to support ourselves so no need for an onward flight as suggested.

My OH applied and was granted a WHV and has now been offered a job by an immigration accredited company so now qualifies for a talent visa via accredited company (WTR visa). This is the visa that he requires proof of work experience for. This job was 6 years ago now so he no longer has a contract, payslips or any other paperwork relating to this job. The only other way (that we know of) is a reference, but seeing as HR at this company are away for Christmas there have been delays in obtaining this. Hence the original question of is there any other paperwork INZ will be happy with such as bank statements proving he was paid by them. I read this on another forum but not convinced by it as it only proves you worked there, not what job role, hours, pay etc. It really isn't proof of work experience, just proof that he's worked there.

We will both be entering NZ legally with WHV's and can sort out the OH's talent visa once we arrive but it would be nice to get it sorted sooner. INZ are requesting his passport but we feel it's cutting it a bit fine seeing as we will need it back by 21st Jan in order to fly. Don't want it getting delayed or lost in the post so soon before the flight.

simonsi Jan 2nd 2013 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 10459464)
Sorry, let me clear up the confusion!

The OH and I both have valid WHV's so there will be no issues with getting in and staying in NZ for the duration of those visas. We both have the financial requirements in our bank account to support ourselves so no need for an onward flight as suggested.

My OH applied and was granted a WHV and has now been offered a job by an immigration accredited company so now qualifies for a talent visa via accredited company (WTR visa). This is the visa that he requires proof of work experience for. This job was 6 years ago now so he no longer has a contract, payslips or any other paperwork relating to this job. The only other way (that we know of) is a reference, but seeing as HR at this company are away for Christmas there have been delays in obtaining this. Hence the original question of is there any other paperwork INZ will be happy with such as bank statements proving he was paid by them. I read this on another forum but not convinced by it as it only proves you worked there, not what job role, hours, pay etc. It really isn't proof of work experience, just proof that he's worked there.

We will both be entering NZ legally with WHV's and can sort out the OH's talent visa once we arrive but it would be nice to get it sorted sooner. INZ are requesting his passport but we feel it's cutting it a bit fine seeing as we will need it back by 21st Jan in order to fly. Don't want it getting delayed or lost in the post so soon before the flight.

Get them to shift the file to Auckland for processing, sort out the references with all the details after Christmas, no need to add self-impsed deadlines to the stress if you don't need to.....

Pom_Chch Jan 2nd 2013 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10460380)
Get them to shift the file to Auckland for processing, sort out the references with all the details after Christmas, no need to add self-impsed deadlines to the stress if you don't need to.....

Yep, that's what we've decided to do. No need to fret about references if we can wait for them to come through whilst working on a WHV :thumbsup:

simonsi Jan 2nd 2013 7:48 pm

:thumbsup:

MrsFychan Jan 2nd 2013 9:42 pm

thanks for clearing that up, and I said it's not a problem to have your file transferred as that is what we did.

So I need to add you to the Arrivals and Departures thread :D

Pom_Chch Jan 2nd 2013 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10460646)
thanks for clearing that up, and I said it's not a problem to have your file transferred as that is what we did.

So I need to add you to the Arrivals and Departures thread :D

No worries, I was a little vague in my first post with visas etc.

No need to add me to the arrivals and departures, I'm already on the list and getting very excited :D

MrsFychan Jan 2nd 2013 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 10460679)
No need to add me to the arrivals and departures, I'm already on the list and getting very excited :D

gosh I'm good :thumbsup: :D

sorry really bad weather last night so literally no sleep