British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Work to residency visa - apply for skilled migrant also? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-residency-visa-apply-skilled-migrant-also-915243/)

laura lou Jul 24th 2018 3:53 am

Work to residency visa - apply for skilled migrant also?

Hi all,
A quick questions regarding NZ residency that is confusing me a bit. Myself and partner have been in NZ for 7 excellent months now and are wondering what the best way to move forward with residency applications would be.

My partner is on a work to residency visa with an accredited employer with a 90k+ salary, I am on a partnership visa, also with a full time job.

I understand that after 2 years we can apply for residency visas through the above visa, however in the meantime should we enter an application for a skilled migrant residency visa? Or would there be no benefit in this?

Also, I have read that there is an option to gain immediate permanent residency after 2 years if you’re above a certain salary threshold, is this correct? If so what is the process for this?

Thanks!

katie8383 Jul 24th 2018 3:20 pm

Re: Work to residency visa - apply for skilled migrant also?

Originally Posted by laura lou (Post 12537572)
Hi all,
A quick questions regarding NZ residency that is confusing me a bit. Myself and partner have been in NZ for 7 excellent months now and are wondering what the best way to move forward with residency applications would be.

My partner is on a work to residency visa with an accredited employer with a 90k+ salary, I am on a partnership visa, also with a full time job.

I understand that after 2 years we can apply for residency visas through the above visa, however in the meantime should we enter an application for a skilled migrant residency visa? Or would there be no benefit in this?

Also, I have read that there is an option to gain immediate permanent residency after 2 years if you’re above a certain salary threshold, is this correct? If so what is the process for this?

Thanks!

Hi Laura,

Me and my partner are currently ready to apply for a work to residence visa as he has just been offered a job with an accredited employer too. We have had advice from INZ as we had questions about going for the skilled migrant too, but they advised that there wasn't much point. If your partner is happy with his employer and will be with them for at least the full 2 years, you might as well wait and apply for your residency then, it will save you money as the skilled migrant visa is very expensive.

laura lou Jul 24th 2018 7:29 pm

Re: Work to residency visa - apply for skilled migrant also?

Thanks for this - yes he’s happy with his current employer so sounds like it’s better to just wait.