Work to Residency

Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:22 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
louloumama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hibiscus Coast
Posts: 151
louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Work to Residency



Dear all
Your thoughts and input on whether I am on the right track would be really appreciated. I have pieced together various posts and trawled the NZIS web and please feel free to correct me if I have this wrong.....

- I am a midwife applying through the Skilled Migrants route.

- Have been advised that will be quicker to come in on a WTR visa and then apply for PR.

- Am i right in thinking that from date of WTR issue I have 3 months within which to be in NZ and then a further 3 months in which to apply for PR??

- Is this going to be more costly once I am in NZ- ie. medicals, police check etc.

- I have hubby and 3 kids. Do they come in on holiday visa?

- Will this then mean I have to initially pay for their schooling until I hopefully get PR.

- Is it better to stick out and wait for PR for us all before leaving UK????

I am sorry for so many questions but all help is welcome
louloumama is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:05 pm
  #2  
Queen of the Underworld
 
Persephone's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: In NZ!
Posts: 4,785
Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work to Residency

Hi
You may have got the WTR visas mixed up
There are two types, both different, obviously NZIS do this just to confuse us more
If you are applying via the SMC then once your ITA is sent in and NZIS have assessed it they make a decision to give you one of the following: PR, WTR or nothing at all. The WTR gained this way gives you 3m to send in your passports and get the visas issued and then 3m after that to enter NZ ie 6m to get there. You then have 9m in which to find a job and once you have worked for 3m you can convert this to PR.
The second type is different and you apply for a WTR visa which means you get a 2y temporary work visa which can be converted to PR after 2 years. You must have a job offer first to get this visa though and certain conditions apply eg your employer must be accredited or your job offer be on the LTSSL.

Maybe you were thinking about a work visa as being quicker and then apply for PR when you got here? If you have a job offer then both applications can go in at the same time if they want you over here faster.
Hope this helps
Sue
Persephone is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:55 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
newkiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 977
newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Work to Residency

Originally Posted by louloumama View Post


Dear all
Your thoughts and input on whether I am on the right track would be really appreciated. I have pieced together various posts and trawled the NZIS web and please feel free to correct me if I have this wrong.....

- I am a midwife applying through the Skilled Migrants route.

- Have been advised that will be quicker to come in on a WTR visa and then apply for PR.

- Am i right in thinking that from date of WTR issue I have 3 months within which to be in NZ and then a further 3 months in which to apply for PR??

- Is this going to be more costly once I am in NZ- ie. medicals, police check etc.

- I have hubby and 3 kids. Do they come in on holiday visa?

- Will this then mean I have to initially pay for their schooling until I hopefully get PR.

- Is it better to stick out and wait for PR for us all before leaving UK????

I am sorry for so many questions but all help is welcome
Thats basically what we did, came to Nz on a WTR and then applied for PR, mainly because the WTR comes through a lot quicker.

Yes there may be some double up in costs (visa fees for PR as well as WTR) and potentially another set of medicals. Not sure if you can use the same set of police check for both, we did.

Still, on the whole, not a huge extra cost when you tally up all your costs for immigrating.

NOt sure what the timeframes for WTR is, but there is no time restriction for you once you are in NZ. You can apply for PR anytime (the sooner the better) once in NZ, provided you have enough points etc.

Your husband accompanies you as "spouse/ partner of a working permit holder"
The kids get student visas as dependents of a work permit holder.
The whole family unit applies together, but you and your husband each need to fill out a separate application form.

Then once in NZ you go through the PR application process, pay your money, wait, pay some more money, wait some more, etc etc.
newkiwi is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:10 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
louloumama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hibiscus Coast
Posts: 151
louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Re: Work to Residency

Thanks for your help and replies.

My ITA is all ready to go BUT am just awaiting (hopefully) securing a job offer through one of the health recruitment companies. So I am in limbo at the mo as I cannot submit my ITA until I officially secure the job offer ....

What a waiting game !!!!


x
louloumama is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:33 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 73
chrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to all
Default Re: Work to Residency

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
Hi
You may have got the WTR visas mixed up
There are two types, both different, obviously NZIS do this just to confuse us more
If you are applying via the SMC then once your ITA is sent in and NZIS have assessed it they make a decision to give you one of the following: PR, WTR or nothing at all. The WTR gained this way gives you 3m to send in your passports and get the visas issued and then 3m after that to enter NZ ie 6m to get there. You then have 9m in which to find a job and once you have worked for 3m you can convert this to PR.
The second type is different and you apply for a WTR visa which means you get a 2y temporary work visa which can be converted to PR after 2 years. You must have a job offer first to get this visa though and certain conditions apply eg your employer must be accredited or your job offer be on the LTSSL.

Maybe you were thinking about a work visa as being quicker and then apply for PR when you got here? If you have a job offer then both applications can go in at the same time if they want you over here faster.
Hope this helps
Sue
Thanks for the explanation, now it makes sense.., i was confused as well!
chrisjb is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:24 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
banshigirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Now Oratia, NZ
Posts: 243
banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Work to Residency

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
Hi
You may have got the WTR visas mixed up
There are two types, both different, obviously NZIS do this just to confuse us more
If you are applying via the SMC then once your ITA is sent in and NZIS have assessed it they make a decision to give you one of the following: PR, WTR or nothing at all. The WTR gained this way gives you 3m to send in your passports and get the visas issued and then 3m after that to enter NZ ie 6m to get there. You then have 9m in which to find a job and once you have worked for 3m you can convert this to PR.
The second type is different and you apply for a WTR visa which means you get a 2y temporary work visa which can be converted to PR after 2 years. You must have a job offer first to get this visa though and certain conditions apply eg your employer must be accredited or your job offer be on the LTSSL.

Maybe you were thinking about a work visa as being quicker and then apply for PR when you got here? If you have a job offer then both applications can go in at the same time if they want you over here faster.
Hope this helps
Sue
Thanks for the explanation! I was also confused. How do you convert the 2 year WTR to a PR?
banshigirl is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:21 pm
  #7  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,080
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work to Residency

I believe you need to apply through form NZ 1000

Form NZ 1000
BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:39 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
dave77's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Macandrew Bay on the peninsula
Posts: 276
dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice
Default Re: Work to Residency

Originally Posted by chrisjb View Post
Thanks for the explanation, now it makes sense.., i was confused as well!
Me too! Many thanks that clears it up a lot
dave77 is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:36 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
banshigirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Now Oratia, NZ
Posts: 243
banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Work to Residency

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I believe you need to apply through form NZ 1000

Form NZ 1000
Thanks Bevs.
banshigirl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.