British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Work to residence or/vs Essential skills (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-residence-vs-essential-skills-690894/)

acotiga Oct 25th 2010 7:36 am

Work to residence or/vs Essential skills

Hello all.

I may have in the near future a job offer from a NZ employer. I'm a civil engineer so this skill is in the Long Term....

Now, with all the interviews and such, sleep deprivation really takes its toll :D and I can't make up what the major difference in the two types of visa is.

Work to residence or Essential Skills. The first I understand it gives you the right to receive PR after two years. The second does not. But I don't understand why i can't get the second and then, while in NZ fill my EOI with specification that I'm employed and then get my PR while in NZ before the two years.

Also I couldn't find any time scale for the two types of visa. Do any of you happen to know which one takes less and by how much? From what I've seen thy say to send the application to the London branch.

So, in broader terms, which of the two have you chosen when you moved?

Thx.

showtime247 Oct 25th 2010 5:52 pm

Re: Work to residence or/vs Essential skills

i know its very confusing, i am also a civil engineer seeking work in new zealand let me know if you here of any1 recruiting mate.

simonsi Oct 25th 2010 11:44 pm

Re: Work to residence or/vs Essential skills

Originally Posted by acotiga (Post 8940409)
Hello all.

I may have in the near future a job offer from a NZ employer. I'm a civil engineer so this skill is in the Long Term....

Now, with all the interviews and such, sleep deprivation really takes its toll :D and I can't make up what the major difference in the two types of visa is.

Work to residence or Essential Skills. The first I understand it gives you the right to receive PR after two years. The second does not. But I don't understand why i can't get the second and then, while in NZ fill my EOI with specification that I'm employed and then get my PR while in NZ before the two years.

Also I couldn't find any time scale for the two types of visa. Do any of you happen to know which one takes less and by how much? From what I've seen thy say to send the application to the London branch.

So, in broader terms, which of the two have you chosen when you moved?

Thx.

Many peeps don't qualify for both so don't have a choice and will need to go WTR. If you do qualify for both then it can come down to processing speed as WTR is processed much faster.

Once here on WTR you can apply for PR immediately under the SMC policy if you wish...