Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Work to residence visa holder - Would like perm. residency before 2 years

Work to residence visa holder - Would like perm. residency before 2 years

Old Jul 27th 2016, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Work to residence visa holder - Would like perm. residency before 2 years

We hold a 30 month work to residency visa (I am on partner work visa, OH is on accredited employer work to residency).

I understand that there is an option to apply for permanent residency before you have worked for 2 years.

Has anyone done this or know of the steps involved?
Old Jul 28th 2016, 1:33 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work to residence visa holder - Would like perm. residency before 2 years

if your work is on the skills list then yes but if not is thats the reason you are on a wtr visa. ?
Old Jul 28th 2016, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Work to residence visa holder - Would like perm. residency before 2 years

Work is on the skills list, only reason that we didn't come on skilled migrant was how long the process takes (6 months at least), and as he had a job offer, we felt we couldn't keep them waiting too long..
He would get over 150 points on the skilled migrant points and I understand that that qualifies you automatic acceptance.

Does the Skilled Migrant visa mean the same as a Permanent Residency visa?

Are there ANY conditions on it at all eg. are you able to become self-employed once granted?

Just considering whether it is worth it to apply for Skilled Migrant or whether we just wait two years to apply for Permanent Residency..
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you have the points (140 for immiediate pull fromthe pool), then you can go the SMC route to residency.
Obviously it will cost $$.

Once NZ resident then the principal applicant is free to be self-employed if they wish. The partner always has an open work visa on the back of the application.

Some folk have come in on a WTR and decided to then spend the money to go the SMC route to NZ residency rather than wait the two years.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.

On being a Skilled Migrant

For some reason I'm nervous of waiting two years and between that time, immi change the rules and it means we can no longer become perm. residents..!

Also I was self-employed in the UK and feel a bit tied for two years on current visa, only being allowed to work for someone else. As his partner would I definitely be able to become self-employed/employed/study etc?

Becoming resident through Skilled Migrant - Is it the same as becoming a Permanent Resident?

On becoming a Perm. Resident

I can't find any conditions on becoming perm. residents apart from having worked here continuously for at least 24 months.

Is that the only restriction? No age restriction?
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:54 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi moving! Yes, we did it the way you are asking about. All you do is go to the immigration website and start your expression of interest application:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

When we arrived in NZ we were on WTR visa but decided after about 6 months to just apply for permanent residency via the skilled migrant route by submitting the expression of interest early (OH is on skills shortage list). The reason we did this was because the banks were a bit funny with our visa situation when we enquired about applying for a mortgage. As we knew we wanted to stay permanently and wanted to buy a house we just got on and did it. In hindsight I think this was better as we had no worries in getting everything back in time. A couple we know applied a little too late for their residency not realizing that there was a 9 month wait, meaning their WTR visa was due to expire, but they still didn't have their permanent residency. I think immigration sorted it for them, but it was very stressful for them!

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jul 28th 2016 at 4:58 am.