Work To Residence Visa advice?

Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:30 am
Just Joined

larneylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work To Residence Visa advice?

Hello,

I have posted a couple of topics on this site and so far the information been returned to me has been fantastic. Hopefully my following enquiry does not sound simple or that I have not read up on enough information? I am just trying to find out which route will be the most appropriate for myself.

I was considering applying for immigration to New Zealand under the skilled migrant category as a Plumber, though information from this site and subsequently having chatted to other people have shed some light that though I will have 6 years experience and a NVQ level 2 qualification, this may not be 'enough' to satisfy the NZQA and the whole conversion process to an NZ equivalent. If 'they' suggest an NVQ level 3 is required (which is a further 2 years studing which I am not keen on doing) I was now interested in finding out whether or not a Work to Residence visa might be more appropriate?

On the NZ Immigration site, the information seems clear and the process simple? Is that possible? In it's simplest form, I see that a Plumber falls into the LTSS (Long Term Skills Shortage); does this then mean I should be realitively suitable for this type of visa; providing! I have an offer of employment? So, securing employment in NZ seems to be the only sure way of helping your visa application along?

More questions! If you set interviews up on a reccy trip and an employer would like to employ you, how long can it take to process once you have your medical, x-rays and police clearance etc? I presume you would need to return back to your 'home' country and start the application process there and not in New Zealand? Would it be wise to get all three of these before leaving for a reccy trip to NZ; so if you get offered a job, you could literally walk off the plane and straight to the NZ offices?

Thanks in advance
Lee
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:42 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Work To Residence Visa advice?

Originally Posted by larneylee
More questions! If you set interviews up on a reccy trip and an employer would like to employ you, how long can it take to process once you have your medical, x-rays and police clearance etc? I presume you would need to return back to your 'home' country and start the application process there and not in New Zealand?
If you have all your documents, work qualifications, job offer and if the employer has approval in principal you can probably get it done in an afternoon. It may depend on which NZIS office you take your paperwork into. The Christchurch office seems to be clued up and quite efficient.

It isn't necessary to return to your home country.

Would it be wise to get all three of these before leaving for a reccy trip to NZ; so if you get offered a job, you could literally walk off the plane and straight to the NZ offices?
Well, you could during office hours.

Thanks in advance
Lee
Good luck Lee.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by happynz
If you have all your documents, work qualifications, job offer and if the employer has approval in principal you can probably get it done in an afternoon. It may depend on which NZIS office you take your paperwork into. The Christchurch office seems to be clued up and quite efficient.

It isn't necessary to return to your home country.

Well, you could during office hours.

Good luck Lee.
Thanks Happynz for the information. Lastly; one more thing. If I get a job offer while in NZ, could I get a medical, X-rays done in NZ except for my police clearance and process the lot there? Or get them all done here prior to going? If I got all those done here prior to going and got no job offer, I wonder if they have an 'expiry date' on them? Just thought I could then use them for a Skilled Migrant Visa after the reccy trip if it was unsuccessful? Cheers
Lee
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:28 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Thanks Happynz for the information. Lastly; one more thing. If I get a job offer while in NZ, could I get a medical, X-rays done in NZ except for my police clearance and process the lot there?
Yes.

Or get them all done here prior to going?
You can do that as well.

If I got all those done here prior to going and got no job offer, I wonder if they have an 'expiry date' on them? Just thought I could then use them for a Skilled Migrant Visa after the reccy trip if it was unsuccessful?

Cheers
Lee
The medicals have a 'shelf life' of three months and the police clearances are good for six months after being issued.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:00 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Happynz for the information. Lastly; one more thing. If I get a job offer while in NZ, could I get a medical, X-rays done in NZ except for my police clearance and process the lot there? Or get them all done here prior to going? If I got all those done here prior to going and got no job offer, I wonder if they have an 'expiry date' on them? Just thought I could then use them for a Skilled Migrant Visa after the reccy trip if it was unsuccessful? Cheers
Lee
Can I suggest that you bring your Police clearance with you, as they take up to 40 days to process and then you have posting to NZ on top.......

HTh
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Can I suggest that you bring your Police clearance with you, as they take up to 40 days to process and then you have posting to NZ on top.......

HTh
Thanks Kev & Sarah and HappyNZ for all your help, most apprciated! I'm certain I will have a few more questions in the coming months!?
Cheers
Lee
Old Dec 13th 2007, 1:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hello,

I was considering applying for immigration to New Zealand under the skilled migrant category as a Plumber, though information from this site and subsequently having chatted to other people have shed some light that though I will have 6 years experience and a NVQ level 2 qualification, this may not be 'enough' to satisfy the NZQA and the whole conversion process to an NZ equivalent. If 'they' suggest an NVQ level 3 is required (which is a further 2 years studing which I am not keen on doing)
It is not NZQA that you need to satisfy Lee. It is the PGDB - plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying board of New Zealand.
NZIS look to the PGDB re. plumbing qualifications and registration.

The UK qualifications would not be converted, as such, Lee. The best one can hope for is that the PGDB will decide you are fully qualified enough to be eligible to sit their Registration exams. You would send in everything you have to the PGDB plus the fee & the assessment form. They will then assess your qualifications and work experience and decide whether you are of a good enough standard . NZIS look to this PGDB assessment .
There is no NZ equivalent of an NVQ2 . You are assessed by the PGDB as being of National Certificate standard & therefore eligible to sit Registration exams , or you are not.
If you are not, then the PGDB will suggest you undergo an apprenticeship here and further training. Of course, this tells NZIS that you are not a qualified plumber in the eyes of the PGDB.

'They' may not suggest what you do need by way of quals. Best thing I can suggest is that you email the PGDB direct and see what answer you get. I think all you will get is to send in a fee and the assessment form but you never know your luck !

On the NZ Immigration site, the information seems clear and the process simple? Is that possible? In it's simplest form, I see that a Plumber falls into the LTSS (Long Term Skills Shortage); does this then mean I should be realitively suitable for this type of visa; providing! I have an offer of employment? So, securing employment in NZ seems to be the only sure way of helping your visa application along?
Depends what visa you are talking about Lee.

If you are looking at a temporary work permit, then you would find a job offer. You would apply for a PGDB limited licence which your NZ employer would countersign and an NZ registered plumber would also sign to vouch that all your work will be supervised and signed off.
This would not necessarily lead to a successful PR application
A limited licence simply allows someone to elgally work within the plumbing trade. It is held by apprentices and labourers alike. A new migrant plumber would hold this licence until he has sat and passed the registration exams.
In simple terms, the person is seen as unqualified until registration is passed.

If you are thinking of submitting an EOI - expression of interest - towards gaining Permanent Residency in New Zealand , then you need to satisfy both the PGDB and NZIS that you have the required standard as a plumber under the Skilled Migrant Category.
That standard is that you should be a fully qualified UK plumber. This means NVQ3 or equivalent C&G.

Now, I realise that the SMC will change rules in February to move towards the Australian method of assessing skills and competency through work experience. This may help some people. HOWEVER, as a plumber you need to be able to show NZIS that you can gain PGDB registration.

Plumber is one of the trades and professions where NZIS require NZ registration. As previously stated, in order to be eligible to sit registration exams , one must satisfy the PGDB that one is fully qualified to National Certificate Standard.

A requirement of NZIS re plumbers is that they are fully qualified to the same level as the NZ National Certificate AND that they can show Registration.
I do not believe that the NVQ 2 is of the same level as the fully completed NZ National Certificate
To show NZIS that you could gain registration you have only one way to go.That is through the PGDB assessment.

I was now interested in finding out whether or not a Work to Residence visa might be more appropriate?
With work to residence you would still need to show NZIS that you are a plumber per their definition of skilled when it comes to applying for PR after the 2 year period .
NZIS state that a plumber must be to NZ National Certificate standard & have registration.
This brings it back again to the PGDB assessment.
There will be nothing to stop you applying for WTR as that will give you a 30 month work permit. It's what happens after then isn't it.

So, with regard to gaining Permanent Residency, I suggest that you ask the PGDB direct what UK quals they accept as being good enough to count towards registration exams. Ask them if NVQ2 will do it !
Your only other way to know exactly where you stand is to pay the money and send in the assessment form.
Remember that NZIS look to the PGDB when it comes to deciding if a person is qualified enough as a plumber.

Same with NZIS. Ask them what is required to emigrate to NZ as a plumber.

More questions! If you set interviews up on a reccy trip and an employer would like to employ you, how long can it take to process once you have your medical, x-rays and police clearance etc? I presume you would need to return back to your 'home' country and start the application process there and not in New Zealand? Would it be wise to get all three of these before leaving for a reccy trip to NZ; so if you get offered a job, you could literally walk off the plane and straight to the NZ offices?
Thanks in advance
Lee
No. You don't have to return back to the UK if you have a job offer. Fill out the temporary work permit form and put it together with the fee, your UK certifcates etc. You will also need to include the PGDB limited licence.

NZIS will want to help the NZ employer so will process your work permit a.s.a.p. I would think depending on how snowed under they are.

This will get you working in NZ.
a temporary work permit or a work to residence permit will not necessariy lead to PR. You will still have to satisfy NZIS and the PGDB that you are a properly qualified plumber.

BEVS

ps - there is no such thing as a general plumber here, or in the UK.

An NVQ2 means you are a plumber but not a fully certified UK plumber.

You don't get 'general plumbers' here in NZ either. You only get PGDB fully qualified registered plumbers and master plumbers.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 13th 2007 at 1:53 am. Reason: sort a couple of quotes
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bump for Larneylee if he is looking in at all.

Hi there Lee.
I have been keeping an eye on the PGDB website and NZIS for any announcements re. the changes to the NZIS skills policy & how this will effect overseas plumbers wanting to come to NZ.
If you remember, there are to be changes to the SMC policy as NZIS are pulling closer into line with DIAC.

There is now information on the PGDB website Lee.

You can read about it HERE

1] There will be an initial assessment costing $400 bucks each for plumbing and gasfitting.

2] Once here, the overseas plumber will be required to attend an interview.

3] If the outcome is successful to the first two steps then the overseas plumber will be required to sit a written exam and undertake practical assessments. These will take 4 days & will be in Wellington NZ.
The cost is $3,500 each for plumbing and gasfitting

4] Registration licence fee $195

The NZIS website states that in order for an overseas plumber to claim points for his trade quals , he /she must have NZ registration.
Given the above and the fact that this can only be done in NZ, I cannot see how any overseas plumber will be able to claim points for his trade qualifications at this time, unless already living and working here.

Will NZIS accept a positive outcome of the initial PGDB assessment ? I don't know.