work to residence expieriences?

Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

paul walters will become famous soon enoughpaul walters will become famous soon enough
Default work to residence expieriences?

Has anybody been successful getting a work visa, with a job offer and wage under $45k? Or is it a strict rule? Anybody who could share their experiences would be helpful.....
thanks Paul and family.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 7:53 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: work to residence expieriences?

Yes, I was earning far less than NZ$45,000 and got PR. However we were on work permits, not work-to-residency.
I think the trick is getting a local job that NZIS reckons is 'skilled', have a 'relevant' qualification and comparable work experience.
Line those ducks up and you should have a reasonable shot at getting PR.

Good luck.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:05 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I was on work to residency permits and was on $36k.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

A chap on just $29K a year has just managed to have his work permit re-newed. I assist, as English is his 2nd language. As far as I am aware he has never been on more money than this. He is married with 2 kids.
We now hope to start an application for PR or WTR.
As HappyNZ says, the reason we will try is that his job is skilled , in plumbing and he is a fully qualified plumber from an overseas comparable marke We can match overseas skills , qualifications and experience with a job offer in the NZIS long term shortage list.

Don't ask how it is that he is paid just $14 an hour --- just don't ask.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

mmmm, I don't know how you lot managed it, but I rang and asked NZIS 3 weeks ago if I could do work to residence was offered a job on $40k a year and a company car so worth more than $5k but they told me categorically NO! Must be a basic salary of $45k minimum to meet the wtr rules!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:43 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by phil01
mmmm, I don't know how you lot managed it, but I rang and asked NZIS 3 weeks ago if I could do work to residence was offered a job on $40k a year and a company car so worth more than $5k but they told me categorically NO! Must be a basic salary of $45k minimum to meet the wtr rules!
I didn't do work-to-residency. I just had the good fortune to have worked in a job that NZIS figured was skilled. Coupled with heaps of relevant experience and a Liberal Arts degree NZIS seemed to be satisfied and we got PR. There was no way I could have gone the work-to-residency route. The industry I'm in simply can't (or won't) pay that sort of salary.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

paul walters will become famous soon enoughpaul walters will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by happynz
Yes, I was earning far less than NZ$45,000 and got PR. However we were on work permits, not work-to-residency.
I think the trick is getting a local job that NZIS reckons is 'skilled', have a 'relevant' qualification and comparable work experience.
Line those ducks up and you should have a reasonable shot at getting PR.

Good luck.
thanks to everyone for the replies. It seems that if you have the right skill, experience etc... they will be fairly flexible.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Ditto...my industry is in the same position very remote chance of getting enough to do wtr but fingers crossed my latest boss is OK so just maybe!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:46 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by phil01
I was under the radar too in this respect. But i got a job offer and contract and got my work visa. Applied for PR after 6 months and was accepted to apply. All i needed was to have a medical and interview and we would have got our PR. We had to leave because we ran out of money. Mainly due to our house not selling. This was in 2004 so things may have changed. When we first tried to get PR we were turned down flat. I have a BFA in my job, but was accredited in New York (tried to move to Anchorage). The NZIS actually did not like this and said they do not recconise US degrees. This put us back a year. We could have been all settled in now and set up. Ah well those are the breaks. If you want to go badly then don't give up.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:04 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul walters
Has anybody been successful getting a work visa, with a job offer and wage under $45k? Or is it a strict rule? Anybody who could share their experiences would be helpful.....
thanks Paul and family.
I was granted permanent residency on a proposed wage of $43 000. I have since talked my way into a significant pay rise after being in the job (nursing) for 6 months. My English boss reckoned she didn't know it was meant to be $45 000 to secure PR. I guess, with nursing shifts and penal rates being what they are, immigration saw fit to give it to me anyway as in the long run, working evenings and weekends as nurses do, I would have earned over $45 000 anyway
Hold out for more: I thought anything over $40 000 was great from the UK, got here and found I was the lowest paid person on the ward
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

thanks again to everyone for the replies