Work to residence ?

Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

LPGMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work to residence ?

Hi, I posted a message on ***** regarding immigration, I got a reply from Jack, who suggested I contact Bev on this site as she had personal experience of how the NZ authorities view the ACS qualifications.

I am 52 years old and hold ACS and Unvented hot water. I am not currently registered with corgi as at the moment the job I have does not involve gas.

After reading of the problems encountered by Bev,s husband I wonder if there is any room over there for a another gas man?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Work to residence ?

Hallooo. Did someone call my username . I do believe that's me you are looking for.

Husband is a 48 yr old UK time served plumber and gasfitter , currently working in NZ as a fully NZ registered plumber with a limited gasfitting licence. I'm 53.

Obviously he had decades of on the tools experience in the UK and we also ran our own small business in the latter years doing the usual plumbing, central heating etc. but mostly solar installs.

We have been here for going on 4 years now , have permanent residency and have just applied for our NZ passports.

Perhaps you can let me know a bit about you and the trade. Are you a time served C&G plumber/gasfitter ? What have you been doing for the past 5 years & prior to that.

Please have a read of THIS THREAD & the other link within the thread.

My husband still does not have full gas registration. This all stemmed from the fact that although he had many current ACS modules at that time, including LPG , he had let the CORGI reg. lapse that past year. There were two reasons. [1] We were doing so well with solar [2] We had an intention to emigrate.
Had the NZ plumbing board been exacting about the CORGI membership requirement instead of throwing up smokey mirrors, we would not have had the difficulty with the gas registration. He would simply have factored in several gas installations/central heating etc, paid the CORGI fees and voila.

That was 2004 and I feel the plumbing board has improved somewhat since then. It certainly could have gotten no worse.

Anyway, 'nough about us.

There is room in NZ for gas men. Let me know what you do have re C&G or similar and your work exp. We'll go from there .
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Work to residence ?

Originally Posted by LPGMan

After reading of the problems encountered by Bevs' husband I wonder if there is any room over there for a another gas man?
bump.... I thought this phrase was a little odd considering we have been here in NZ for nearly 4 years.

I've tracked the source down now.

The post you were shown is 4 years old LPG man You need to be working with current information and the new rules. Not that old stuff. Goodness me.

My husband is a fully NZ registered plumber and can work on gas under a limited licence. He is approaching 49 years old now.
He is now thinking of looking towards his Craftsman papers and he could become an NZ registered gasfitter if he he takes a further assessment of his gasfitting skills. He passed his gas registration . It's simply time , effort and money.

If you wish to work on gas here in NZ then you can. Gasfitting is on the immediate shortage list. You would need to find a job offer to perhaps gain enough points as you are 52. You would also need to have your gas quals assessed by the PGDB. Most likely you would be offered a 'work to residence' until you had gained your NZ gas registration.

With regard to having your gas quals assessed by the PGDB and not having CORGI in place right now, it may be worth contacting Kern Uren of the PGDB to ask what criteria is required for a successful overseas gas qual assessment as in your case as you do not hold a CORGI card. Please be aware that they like to have details of your past 5 years work in the trade.

What are you currently doing?