British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Work Permit Or Work To Residence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-permit-work-residence-674587/)

Vicky007 Jun 30th 2010 8:17 am

Work Permit Or Work To Residence

Hello People,

I have got the offer from NZ and they would like me to join soon.

Now I want to go direct on PR but since it would take a lot of time i cant do that right away

But at the same time I would not like to go on a Work to Residence visa as well because it requires me to be with the same employer for 2 years and then apply for PR.

Theres one called Work permit as well and some forum says that I can go on a Work permit and can straight away apply for PR, this way i dont have to wait for 2 years for a PR. Can you please throw some light on these options. I have absolutely no clarity on the Work permit.

Please advise

:fingerscrossed::thumbsup:

simonsi Jun 30th 2010 12:31 pm

Re: Work Permit Or Work To Residence

If you qualify for PR under the Skilled Migrant Category you can apply under that policy at any time. So you can WTR then apply for PR under the SMC when you are in NZ without waiting for the 2yrs.

Vicky007 Jul 1st 2010 12:39 am

All right Thanks Buddy!!

So what you are saying is i can go now on WTR visa and then once i am there i can straightaway apply for PR.

Thank you for this information, It helps

Good Day!

cappuccino Jul 2nd 2010 4:27 am

Vicky be careful, there are two kinds of WTRs!! I am not a qualified Immigration Advisor and neither is anybody else on these boards - we can only give you anecdotal experiences. Contact NZ Immigration Service, they give correct and up to date information.

I arrived on a regular Work Permit but after day one in my job I put in my EOI and 4 months later I received my PR. I then changed jobs as I no longer had the work permit ties to the first company. I know of others who have applied for PR from the UK and whilst it was being processed also applied for a work permit cos that comes through a lot quicker. Advantage of doing both at the same time is to be able to use the medical and police check for both applications. Medicals only last 3 months but police checks last 6 months.

Vicky007 Jul 2nd 2010 6:26 am

Hello Cappuccino,

Can you please tell me which work permit you applied for, if possible, would help my cause

Thanks!

cappuccino Jul 2nd 2010 9:31 am

3 year standard work permit which I received in 3 days from the London office.