British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Work permit via partnership (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-permit-via-partnership-681659/)

celeliza Aug 18th 2010 3:03 am

Work permit via partnership

Hi,

I am trying to find out more about a work permit via the partnership category.

I am on a contract until Feb 2011 and hoping to apply for a new work permit after that as it's hard to tell what will happen jobwise. I have been in a relationship with my kiwi boyfriend for nearly a year now and he has just asked me to live with him so I will move in next month.

In order to get a permit, you have to be living together. I have had a look on the NZ Immigration website and it says that:

"If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:
- you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
- you apply for residence as a partner."

So, if for example, after living together for 3 months, can I apply for a work permit or does it have to be close to 12 months? If so, what kind of evidence would I need to prove?

Cheers,
Claire

Moses65 Aug 20th 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Work permit via partnership

You can apply now under Partnership. You will need to show proof of being in a commited stable relationship and will need to show joint finacial dealings. We have sent ours in and have included copy of joint bank accounts, bills in both names, tenancy agreement, letters n emails from friends n family showing acknowledgement of relationship.
If you ring the NZIS helpine in NZ they will talk you thru what they want from you.
Good luck

princey Aug 22nd 2010 7:59 am

Hi

You have to provide lots of evidence, Imigration NZ are quite fussy, I live in Christchurch with my Fiancee and 10 month old baby girl and we still had to show them joint bank statements, engagement cards, photos, travel documents, birth cerificate,and my Fiancee had to write a supporting letter...after all that they still ony gave me 12 month work permit!

Keith

celeliza Aug 23rd 2010 10:02 am

I have been looking up the fees for this type of work permit. It costs $280. Does that include a multiple entry visa or would I need to apply separately?

Cheers,
Claire

Moses65 Aug 24th 2010 11:39 pm

Hi Claire
The cost of $280 is for the Permit only. You will need to pay seperately for a Visa allowing exit and re-entry to NZ. I cant remember the cost but its on the NZIS website

celeliza Aug 25th 2010 12:48 am

Hi,

As I am planning to apply for a work permit under partnership, I have read on the Fees Guide and it says:

"The work visa/permit fees for ‘Work - Partnership’ on page 7 are for applications from partners of New Zealand citizens or residents who are later intending to apply for residence under Partnership Policy. If you do not intend to apply for residence under Partnership Policy later, or your partner is not a New Zealand citizen or resident and you are applying on the basis of your relationship, you must pay the fee under ‘Work – other’."

I am about to submit my permanent residency under the Skilled Migrant Category so I assume I would be paying $200 for the permit? Or pay $280 in case I get declined under the SMC PR?

Cheers,
Claire