British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Work permit questions help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/work-permit-questions-help-511822/)

annaerb Feb 5th 2008 3:24 am

Work permit questions help

I'm asking on behalf of my cousin coming to NZ so any help is apprecated as looking on forums and the immigration site has got me more confused.

My cousin and family have decided to leave UK and come to NZ to live. They have sold their house/cars/furniture etc.
Basically just arriving with their suitcases. No visas. Just arriving as if they are coming for a holiday in the hope they get a work permit/job etc and then residency :eek:.

Has anyone done this? Just arrived and got work permits etc? How long do work permits take? Do they buy a one way airline ticket/ open return/ or a return ticket with a leaving date for 6mths in the hope that they find something in that time. What about permits/visas etc for a child 13 so they can attend school? If my cousin isn't married to her partner do they apply separetly?

Sorry for all the questions but any help is greatly apprectiated as I am genuinely worried so I need to put my mind at ease and theirs.

Anything else they should know.

Nerine Feb 5th 2008 3:47 am

Re: Work permit questions help

I'm pretty sure they'll need return/onward travel tickets.

I've read other threads on BE where people have done the same as your cousin and got lucky and all has worked out ok. She can apply along with her partner under the de facto rules, just needs to provide the usual evidence of their long term relationship.

Can't help you on the student visa thing, sorry.

Good luck to them.

Kiwiprincess Feb 5th 2008 3:55 am

As far as I am aware if they are here on a visitors/holiday visa they will have to pay overseas student rates for the child. As soon as they have a permit to work or live here they can get local rates (according to my mum the school secretary!).

One thing i would suggest - don't let them bring their CV's - keep emailed copies.

Lots of people come here on holiday then decide to move. But if they get asked their reason for travel should definitely be 'holiday'. Looking for work/intending to change visa is specifically banned as far as i am aware. However, lots of people do :)

Maz Feb 5th 2008 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 5886133)
Lots of people come here on holiday then decide to move. But if they get asked their reason for travel should definitely be 'holiday'. Looking for work/intending to change visa is specifically banned as far as i am aware. However, lots of people do :)

Not 100% accurate... it's perfectly legal (and a nice man from NZIS said this to us all at a mov**** seminar last July) and acceptable to come here as a visitor to look for work. Probably not the best idea to announce it to the immigration people / passport control as soon as you step off the 'plane though. ;)

Work permits can be got in as little as one week (simonmarkellis) as as many as two and a half weeks (moi), though in the text I got from NZIS after they'd received my work permit application, they said their standard thing, which was that it might take up to 60 days to process it. :eek:

Once you have a work permit, your partner can get one following the family category. You have to prove (using "you" instead of "your cousin") that you've been in a genuine and stable relationship for over 12 months. For this use any and all of the following:
  • letters addressed to both
  • bills in name of both
  • lease / mortgage documents in both names
  • bank account statements in joint names
  • birth certs of children stating names of both parents
  • photos of you going back a few years. And yes, you can print them all when you need them, and write the dates on the back, you'll get them back

OK, off the back of the work permit you can also get student permits for your children. Not all schools will accept international students. I'm glad my daughter's student permit only took two weeks so she wasn't out of school for too long.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

trying Feb 5th 2008 2:29 pm

well new at this
wanted a bit of help
applied for residancy in december husband had a job offer
he flew out last week leaving me and two young kids to start job and get settled (got a work visa)
trying to find quickest way to get over there rang about adding us on his work visa but am confused about which forms was told i should apply for work visa form (although i won't be working) and children have to submit a visitor visa application one each
please help!!

happynz Feb 5th 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by trying (Post 5888742)
well new at this
wanted a bit of help
applied for residancy in december husband had a job offer
he flew out last week leaving me and two young kids to start job and get settled (got a work visa)
trying to find quickest way to get over there rang about adding us on his work visa but am confused about which forms was told i should apply for work visa form (although i won't be working) and children have to submit a visitor visa application one each
please help!!

Don't panic. As you are your husband's partner you will be given a work permit valid for the same length of time as your husband. It will be an 'open' permit allowing you to work for whomever at whatever occupation or not to work at all if you choose not to. Your young kids will be on visitor visas also for the same length of time as your husband's visa/permit.

Please, don't panic. It's no big thing.

annaerb Feb 5th 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks for your replies it's a great help. It's put my mind at ease and will tell my cousin.

Thanks

hjmilligan Feb 7th 2008 2:49 am

Hi,
We came over on a vistor visa,even told passport control weve come over looking for work,she wished us the best of luck!!
Hubby found job and was given a contract which we took down to CHC immigration office along with passports,marriage certificates,birth certificates,work references,trade certificates and application for works visa.
Given 1 year works visa and kids passports stamped with student visa so they can attend school. Told by the immigration officer to apply for residency as soon as you can,this was granted in December.
So it can be done,all i know is you have to get to CHC immigration office early as they limit the amount of works visas a day,and you do get a few people queuing up outside before the doors open.
But i know it is different at different immigration offices.

Good Luck

Helen :thumbsup:

annaerb Feb 7th 2008 3:18 am

Originally Posted by hjmilligan (Post 5897283)
Hi,
We came over on a vistor visa,even told passport control weve come over looking for work,she wished us the best of luck!!
Hubby found job and was given a contract which we took down to CHC immigration office along with passports,marriage certificates,birth certificates,work references,trade certificates and application for works visa.
Given 1 year works visa and kids passports stamped with student visa so they can attend school. Told by the immigration officer to apply for residency as soon as you can,this was granted in December.
So it can be done,all i know is you have to get to CHC immigration office early as they limit the amount of works visas a day,and you do get a few people queuing up outside before the doors open.

Good Luck

Well Done Helen & family :thumbsup: Great to hear sucess stories like yours it gives hope for others.

Thanks
Carol

whattodo2 Feb 9th 2008 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by hjmilligan (Post 5897283)
Hi,

Good Luck

Well Done

Sorry to be noisy but was your husbands job on the immediate/longterm skills shortage list, or is it possible to apply for residency once your in NZ with ANY job??

happynz Feb 9th 2008 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by whattodo2 (Post 5908887)
Well Done

Sorry to be noisy but was your husband's job on the immediate/longterm skills shortage list, or is it possible to apply for residency once you're in NZ with ANY job??

You most certainly may apply for residency in New Zealand once you are here. However, any ol' job won't do the trick.