work experience for EOI Heeeelp......

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Ivoryhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy work experience for EOI Heeeelp......

Hi Everyone,
Need some help with our EOI ,
Have been filling all forms in and in theory have got enough points for visa as i'm a hairdresser level 2 in uk assesed at level 3 NZ.
But i can only provide work experience for about 2yrs!!! is this going to be enough for me to get a visa or do i need more?????
Not sure what to do next apart from going through an agent for help for visa, this is really getting to us now.
Hope someone can shed some light on this.
THANKYOU
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: work experience for EOI Heeeelp......

Originally Posted by Ivoryhouse
Hi Everyone,
Need some help with our EOI ,
Have been filling all forms in and in theory have got enough points for visa as i'm a hairdresser level 2 in uk assesed at level 3 NZ.
But i can only provide work experience for about 2yrs!!! is this going to be enough for me to get a visa or do i need more?????
Not sure what to do next apart from going through an agent for help for visa, this is really getting to us now.
Hope someone can shed some light on this.
THANKYOU
Hi Ivoryhouse,

I am no expert in EOI's as I took the far more tedious route of marrying a Kiwi ...

Our resident expert is BEVS here , my fellow mod, but she's having a few days off this weekend - well deserved too!

Hairdresser is certainly still on the skilled shortage list, however, I have a very good English friend here who is Vidal Sassoon trained and can't get anyone to offer her a work contract. They'll happily take her on on a "rent a station" self employed basis, no good for a work visa though.

Have had a look on NZIS here; http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzopp...ledmigrant.htm and it is suggesting a minimum of 2 years experience.

My advice would be continue with your EOI and submit it; after all your skill is on the shortage list as I say. The general advice here is do NOT pay an agency to do what you can do yourself. Absolute waste of money.

Good luck - it'll be worth it if you can get here and get employment. Will you get points for your age and other half and their skills?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi AM LOOLAH
Thanks for your reply , i am 36 my husband is 40 and is a class 1 hgv and flour tanker driver.
Where abouts in nz has your friend tried to get work, as this worrys us if she cant get any offers of work . Is it worth us trying, if i cant get work and have to come back to nothing and having to uproot kids from school and friends .
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:51 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I've had a look and can't find hairdressers on either of the skills shortage lists. Unless I'm being incompetent of course.
Do you only have 2 years work experience or can you only prove two years?

Age 25pts
2 years WE 10pts
Assuming qual is recognised 50pts
Do you have family or have you worked in NZ in the past? Does your partner have a recognised qualification?
It's hard to work out your points total without knowing more
Send me a PM if you wish and I can try and help you a bit more

Sue
Old Apr 4th 2009, 8:51 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue R
Hi
I've had a look and can't find hairdressers on either of the skills shortage lists. Unless I'm being incompetent of course.
Do you only have 2 years work experience or can you only prove two years?

Age 25pts
2 years WE 10pts
Assuming qual is recognised 50pts
Do you have family or have you worked in NZ in the past? Does your partner have a recognised qualification?
It's hard to work out your points total without knowing more
Send me a PM if you wish and I can try and help you a bit more

Sue
No Sue, you're not being incompetent, far from it. Hairdressing does appear to have been dropped looking at the Immigration site this evening. I see they amend it twice a year, and I guess that may explain why my friend has struggled to find employment here.

Ivoryhouse, I'd suggest you phone Immigration Monday and double check with them as it certainly used to be on the skilled shortage list.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: work experience for EOI Heeeelp......

Hi peeps,
Thankyou for you replys, have just checked on skills list and what a surprise its not there anymore!!!! :curse:
My husbands is on there (lorry/truck driver) so may be will have to try his, if we can then it will make it easier to provide work experience .
Old Apr 5th 2009, 6:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

UUmm. Don't go away.
Lemma check this all out and get back to you tomorrow if that's OK.

I'll see what is what and then post up possible options...or not.

Please don't run headlong for an agent just yet.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: work experience for EOI Heeeelp......

Hi Bevs,
Thankyou for your reply, didn't exspect a reply from you as thought you were away. Hope you had a good one .
Not giving up hope just yet , if i can't get visa on my skills will try on my husbands. Speak soon.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:08 am
`

We just had a couple of days away up at Golden Bay which is at the top of the south island. T'was lovely as always.

Righto. I'll post up what I believe to be the case for the two occupations. This may help or hinder. I'm not sure you will find it hopeful but it is intended to help.

HGV driver

This occupation is on the Immediate Shortage list. What this means is that an NZ employer can offer your husband a job without needing to prove that there is no NZ resident or citizen for that job. That is all this means. It is to help with servicing the temporary work visas and permits.

At the moment, HGV is not seen as a skilled occupation, therefore an HGV driver cannot apply for PR under the skilled migrant category.

The only way an HGV driver might possibly gain PR - permanent residency - is if he gets a job which pays $50K per annum for a 40 hour week. If he drives tankers and has work through an accredited employer, this may be possible.

If he can get this , then he can apply for a Work To Residence visa.

If not and he gets any other truck driving work, then he can only ever obtain a temporary work visa . These can be renewed every 3 years or so, but there is no telling when this avenue may be closed.

Hairdressing - 39111

Hairdresser is not on the shortages lists. I can't recall that it ever was to be honest.
It is seen as a skilled occupation by NZIS however and so they have set the level at which they recognise the occupational skill. That level is on the NZ register at level 4.
In order for you to gain points for the trade skill, your assessment therefore needed to come out at level 4. Not level 3.
However, ANZSCO do say that 3 years work experience may substitute for formal quals.

As hairdressers are not in shortage in New Zealand, any NZ employer offering you a full time , permanent contract would need to prove to NZIS that there is no NZ resident or citizen that could fill that job.

From what I have seen over the years, when an occupation is not on the shortages lists, then with any job offer made by the NZ employer to the overseas person the further towards management level the job offer goes, then the better the chance NZIS will approve it in principle.

Originally Posted by ANZSCO and NZ register
In New Zealand:

391111 Hairdresser

NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Hi Bevs,
This helps with information but arrrrh
We've looked on www.immigration.govt.nz for skills list and this was updated on 2nd march. My husbands skill is on this as a truck driver? i did find my skill on a list before but not there now.
Thanks for checking
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:13 am
`

Originally Posted by Ivoryhouse
Hi Bevs,
This helps with information but arrrrh
We've looked on www.immigration.govt.nz for skills list and this was updated on 2nd march. My husbands skill is on this as a truck driver? i did find my skill on a list before but not there now.
Thanks for checking

No. Your husbands occupation is on the Immediate Shortage list. This is not a list about skilled occupations for PR purposes. It is a list for occupations where there is a shortage, skilled or otherwise. Truck driving is not seen as a skill by NZIS .

Hairdresser is still a skilled occupation even if it is not on a shortage list but the qualification and work experience needs to meet the requirements.

Sorry my post isn't more upbeat.

Thinking about this, I would suggest you get another year of work experience under your belt and possibly up your NVQ level 3 at least. Badger your employer to give you a little management training that you could put on a CV and have in a written reference.

Re. your husbands truck driving.
I read he is a tanker driver. If he could land himself a tanker job here in NZ then you could possibly come on a WTR visa. He would need the $55K pa for a 40 hour week though. Not 50K as I previously stated.

Otherwise, if he could get a job as a truck driver you could come here on a temporary work visa and then you would try to find a full time permanent job as a hairdresser.
You would need the NVQ 3 and the 3 yrs work experience to meet the level required by NZIS for this skilled occupation. Also , the salon offering you the job would have to prove that there is no NZ resident or citizen that could fill that post. This is why a bit of managerial skill is helpful. It could put you a cut above the rest of the applicants so to speak.

There is no route to PR for a truck driver at the present time other than the above.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bevs,
Thanks for you reply and being straight,
not good news for us joing nz then, looks like we'll have to try else where then.
Better to know now rather than later and paying out to much money and getting all our hopes up.
Thanks again Bevs for all you help.