British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Will 'Dodgey' relatives affect our application? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/will-dodgey-relatives-affect-our-application-537515/)

mallard May 19th 2008 8:12 pm

Will 'Dodgey' relatives affect our application?

Hi there folks. I was just reading another post and someone has said that you have to give details of all siblings including adopted / half & step.
The problem I have with this is that I know one of my husbands siblings has a serious criminal record. Is this likely to impact on our application for PR?
Has anyone (or knows of anyone) had a problem like this.
Hope this is an OK question to ask :o as I am really worrying about this:(
any assistance gratefully recieved as always
Kind regards
Mallard

RobClubley May 19th 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Will 'Dodgey' relatives affect our application?

I wouldn't expect so - police checks only cover the applicants. And how can you be held responsible for someone else's past?

mallard May 19th 2008 8:42 pm

Absolutely, it would not be fair to punish us, but then why do they want the information? I think to be honest I have this view that they are looking for reasons to say no all the time!:lol: I am usually a very positive person; my cup is always half full, (unlike my other half who's cup is always half empty!) but having started the ball rolling and seen the hurdles ahead I just keep looking for more!
Thanks for the reassurance :thumbsup:
kind regards
mallardx

Littletoe May 19th 2008 10:41 pm

Hi Mallard

How's MK these days? It must cost about £20 to park in the centre by now!

I think what the police are looking for are links to organised crime. Drug activities, gang related activities and the hot one at the moment, terrorist type goings ons.

I had a similiar concern myself as the family I married into had known links to the IRA. Although further removed, it was still a dreadful concern to me. Nothing came of it and I guess that's because I myself have nothing to do with organised crime. It may haunt me if I tried to join the military or police force, but fortunately I prefer to have a real job so that's not an issue.

Hey, good luck! And don't let yourself get too worried about these things, the immigration process is fair in NZ and free from corruption - didnt cha know? ;);)

turkeys May 20th 2008 12:47 am

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 6368238)
Absolutely, it would not be fair to punish us, but then why do they want the information? I think to be honest I have this view that they are looking for reasons to say no all the time!:lol: I am usually a very positive person; my cup is always half full, (unlike my other half who's cup is always half empty!) but having started the ball rolling and seen the hurdles ahead I just keep looking for more!
Thanks for the reassurance :thumbsup:
kind regards
mallardx

I wish people would just stop nicking my drink!

Spacecake799 May 20th 2008 3:42 am

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 6368110)
Hi there folks. I was just reading another post and someone has said that you have to give details of all siblings including adopted / half & step.
The problem I have with this is that I know one of my husbands siblings has a serious criminal record. Is this likely to impact on our application for PR?
Has anyone (or knows of anyone) had a problem like this.
Hope this is an OK question to ask :o as I am really worrying about this:(
any assistance gratefully recieved as always
Kind regards
Mallard

Hi,

I may be wrong but i think you only have to put down siblings you want Immigration to know about incase they apply down the family route in the future.

I cant remember what the form says but im sure you dont have to include people if you dont want to.

Carole

Old Lob May 20th 2008 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Littletoe (Post 6368664)
Hi Mallard

I prefer to have a real job so that's not an issue.

Hey, good luck! ;);)

Good luck to you too - with number three and the rest.

What is a real job?

Kiwiprincess May 20th 2008 5:11 am

Dodgy relatives are only good if they are the head of immigration...

j19fmm May 20th 2008 6:30 pm

I have 1 sister, 2 step sisters, OH has 1 brother, 2 half brothers and 5 step brothers, we have no contact with them, do I really need to put them on form? Will need loads of extra pages!!

LotusEater May 24th 2008 8:09 pm

While we're on the subject of dodginess, how about a spouse with a relatively dodgy past, say 17 years ago with a charge for possession of group b and c? :o Reformed man now, obviously.