British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   WHY to Partnership visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/why-partnership-visa-897286/)

RDavies0505 May 27th 2017 9:00 pm

WHY to Partnership visa

Hey everyone ☺

I'm hoping someone has been on a similar situation to mine and can offer advice!

I'm currently on a WHY which will expires on June 2018, was a smart cookie and got the 23 month one at the start.
I found a fixed term job that was contracted to last 6 months. This was then extended to 12 months with the verbal promise of being sponsored afterwards. Story for another day, turns out he fed me a lie and got suckered in... � ���� On a WHV can only work 12 months out of the 23... stupid seeing as NZ is not a cheap country to live in.

Fortunately I met a fantastic Kiwi guy about 9 months ago and I'll be moving to Auckland from Wellington once my contract is expired. This now very leaves me with the pain of not being able to work until the visa is granted which cannot be applied for until at least 6 weeks of living together.

If anyone has been in a similar unable let to work situation, what did you do to stop yourself going mad with boredom? Some people I have spoken to say they worked past the 12 month restriction but that just seems like a good way to get your application declined!

BEVS May 28th 2017 5:59 am

Re: WHY to Partnership visa

Originally Posted by RDavies0505 (Post 12261536)
HOn a WHV can only work 12 months out of the 23... stupid seeing as NZ is not a cheap country to live in.

Not really stupid in terms of what the visa is actually for. A long holiday allowing the person to travel and experience the country. The work bit is just to help find that intention.

Some people I have spoken to say they worked past the 12 month restriction but that just seems like a good way to get your application declined!
Now that to me would be pretty darn stoopid .

From what you write I assume you mean a partnership visa. Just do the time . Do not even consider voluntary work.

RDavies0505 Jun 12th 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12261652)
Not really stupid in terms of what the visa is actually for. A long holiday allowing the person to travel and experience the country. The work bit is just to help find that intention.

Now that to me would be pretty darn stoopid .

From what you write I assume you mean a partnership visa. Just do the time . Do not even consider voluntary work.

Yes I said partnership visa. If you read through my post I said I'm going from a WHV to a partnership.

Cost of living here is really high and minimum wage which a lot of backpackers -not all before someone gets their knickers in a twist - end up in jobs that pay that. Now this is an opinion that I have along with heaps of others is that how on earth can you stay in the country for 23 months and only work half the time. It is ridiculous. Especially when you look at Australia and they allow you to work for far longer, the only restriction is that it can only be for 6 months with one employer.

Again, that's an opinion.

I've spoken to an immigration consultant and volunteering is actually ok as long as not getting anything in return eg food/accomodation.

MrsFychan Jun 12th 2017 8:12 pm

as already stated the WHV is just that, work holiday visa, anyone taking on that visa is expected to have the funds to support themselves as per the visa criteria. $350 per month of the visa and the visa is primary for holidaying with employment being a secondary consideration.
If people obtain this visa not understanding that they only have themselves to blame.

Now for the partnership visa, you need to show a commitment and living together for a minimum of 12months, which I assume you are aware of and the mentioned 6 weeks you write will take into account that time requirement.

Voluntary work can have no patterned work schedule if it does it is not classed as voluntary so please be aware of that.